Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've noticed a metal to metal noise the other day and started looking to see where it was coming from. It took me about a week to find the culprit and it turns out my rear driver side caliper seems to be stuck semi closed causing the pads to constantly be making contact with the rotor [insert gnarly rotor picture here]

BACK STORY:

2 weeks ago I went to the beach. I left my truck at home and engaged the E-Brake (truck was parked on hill). Left it engaged for a week straight. When I returned home, that's when I disengaged the brake. That's also when I started hearing the noise.

I can get anything done this week and I am wanting to know is there any temp fix that I can apply to prevent further damaging my rotor until I can get it resurfaced and pads replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,610 Posts
The parking brake is actually a cable actuated set of drum style pads and an inner drum on the rear rotors...

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The parking brake is actually a cable actuated set of drum style pads and an inner drum on the rear rotors...

Makes since. I took the caliper off and you are gonna love what I found lol

I'm doing a full pad replacement tomorrow. I will take it to my mechanic and see if the rotor is salvageable.

·
Registered
13,610 Posts
Rotors aren't really that bad price wise.

But I would suggest a pin kit too. In all likelihood the pins seized by the looks of it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rotors aren't really that bad price wise.

But I would suggest a pin kit too. In all likelihood the pins seized by the looks of it.

If by "pin kit" you mean replacing the 2 pins that are removed when removing the caliper, those were lubed when I pulled them out and I relived with silicone brake lube.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pads change and everything is good now. Here are some more pics of the old pad vs. the new pads

Old pad on the left, new on the right

Again, old on the left, new on the right

1 - 6 of 6 Posts