Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone got any good tips on how to get this damn rear door Molex off? I got a flathead and trying to get the clips off top and bottom but I am getting nowhere...Found a few pics over at tundra solutions but they just show the before and after.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks man.

After some research and number plugging at WIRE (awesome site btw), I just spliced into the rear door speaker wire at the B-pillar on the cab side. Pretty easy to find the pair as they are the only ones "twisted" together. Only running some coax's for rear sound filler anyways so was not worth the hassle of an inaudible difference.

Thanks agian

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
Cool site, thanks.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah it was very helpful when trying to decide what size wire and things I needed. The overall system diagram with plug in numbers for RMS, wire size, amp eff, ohms, wire length was pretty much invaluable.

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
Yea, I was trying to figure out wth size I needed a few months ago, I bought 16ga.

Read online and all over that 18ga would be fine, finally I said hell with it. I did read that quality wire is more important than gauge, I bought actual copper rca branded wire instead of the cheap shit. was over twice the price, but at least it should be good wire. I have to run guestimated 8-12 ft to the front doors and dash speakers....

I decided to go with 4ga power wire tho, it is a 900 watt amp that I will eventually be installing, but going with 0ga is a pita to run (had it in the past) and then to resize to 4ga with an adapter terminal... just to gain 13 watts maybe... meh.

streetwires used to have a calculator on their site, but I think they got rid of it a few years ago. You could swap wire gauge, amp output, everything... was cool. They showed the loss from cheap wire vs quality wire. They have good wire.

I decided I am going with KnuKonceptz Kolossus Flex Kable... oversized, ofc, not the copper coated aluminum bs.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hey guys,

Going through this now and can't figure it out. How do you get the rear door molex unclipped? If you can answer the following it would be a huge help.

1. Do you unclip from the inside or outside of the truck?
2. Do you suggest starting with the top or bottom clip?
3. What direction do you depress the clips?
4. If you get it right, how much effort should it take to separate the harness?

If you have pics pointing out what to press - it would be a huge help. I am pretty good at this stuff and I am getting my butt kicked right now!

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
If you are talking about the rears, I know on the cm you have to unclip/disconnect the connector in the B pillar from the inside. At that point you can remove the other portion of the connector which actually has the boot attached to it (it retains the boot)

I made it that far then eventually said hell with it and tapped into the speaker wires at the connector in the B pillar, then made connection inside the door and wired in my rear speakers.

Separating the harness isn't the bitch of it, it is the fact that you would have to drill a hole through the actual plastic connector to run the wires through, or at least that was what I had thought of before I just connected inside the truck then inside the door...

·
Registered
146 Posts
I already posted this answer. You pull the boot first. There is enough wiggle room you can remove the boot from the outside of the pillar and unclip it from there.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Yeah when I used to do installs back in the day I'd run all the wires from the amp to the radio, use the opposite Sid plug and plug them into the oem harness, sure made things easy and is what I plan on doing when I get the jl 900/5. And yes this only works on non amplified systems like mine.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Molex = stupid ass, thumb pain, piece of shit connectors you usually end up tearing up trying to get them apart.
Window power panels make it a pain to remove the door.

oh and once you figure out the key to one molex the next one will be totally different.

if you cant tell I DONT LIKE THEM

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm new here and just finished installing a new amp and speakers in my 2010 Tundra Crewmax. The connectors on the rear made the install a lot longer than I hoped. I went the route of drilling through the connectors and running the speaker wires through them. Problem is that the connectors are partially broken now and won't stay connected, mostly the passenger driver side. The inside door light doesn't come on and I can't use the window anymore. Does anyone know where I can find new connectors? I can't seem to find them anywhere online. I'm also wondering if it's a good idea to just add extra pin connectors to a new harness and connect the speaker wire that way.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts