Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
So I'm going to preface this by saying that I have barely been on this site since I joined. School/Military has taken up a lot of time.

I also want to mention that I absolutely love my 2015 Tundra Crewmax SR5 4x4 with the TSS Off road package. Up to this point I have had nothing but great service with my dealer.

Anyways, I have the Platinum Warranty and get regular services every 5K. So I go in at 45K (I know I drive a lot for work) to get my regular checkup and they recommend some maintenance.

I ended up getting the power steering flush, brake flush, fuel system cleaning, and 4WD service. About $800 worth of maintenance.

Aside from the free oil changes/inspections, I usually turn my own wrenches when it comes to fluids. However, as I mentioned, I've been really busy and I have a military school in Utah (I live in Central Texas) coming up in less than a month which I will be driving to.

So this happens on Thursday and then I go play Army from Fri-Sun in Austin. I was staying at my brothers who lives about 40 miles away from where I had to be so there was a commute.

Sunday afternoon I am rolling down the highway in the city and some lady pulls up next to me pointing and yelling about my truck leaking. So I pull over and get off the highway. While I'm getting over I immediately kill the AC, Radio, and roll the window down.

I hear some definite whining/grinding going on. Finally get my truck stopped and when I open the door to step out I smell burning oil/lubricant. Well I crawl up underneath the truck and it's a mess. I can actually stick my finger in the hole where the drain plug is supposed to go.

I won't go into details about why Toyota care wouldn't tow me and the fact that I had to call my ol' lady and have her drive two hours so we could crash in a hotel until the dealership opened but I will say that I expected more from my dealer. They took the truck back and took everything apart.

After I gave it a once over the foreman said everything was fine. I pointed out some wear I noticed on the gears (I'll try and attach a picture) and was immediately told there was nothing he could do and sent to the service manager.

Well I talked to this guy and I guess he was having a bad day because he wouldn't even stand up and have a conversation. I got a "What would you like me to do?" and a "Well we can speculate all day about what might happen". Seeing that I would get nowhere I tucked tale and waited for my truck to come off the lift.

Two hours later I get a call telling me they need to order the gasket to put everything back together and that I have to come back the next day (Got to the dealer at 0830 and had a tow around 1045. By 1500 I was in front of the service manager. So at 1700 I went ahead and drove the two hours home. I expect to get my truck back by Wednesday (should be ready by Tuesday but a mans gotta make a living).

I'm concerned about several things. Is this what I can expect if I have a real issue? Is it me or was it unprofessional? Most importantly, do my rear differential gears look a little worn? I told them that I understand everyone makes mistakes. I mean come on, it's a bay in Texas in July.

I'm not even mad about the failure to tighten things down to spec. I just want peace of mind when it comes to my vehicle. Thanks for any guidance you all can give.

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
Document everything that has occurred, dates, and the names of who you dealt with at the dealer. If they refuse to address the issue satisfactorily, I’d definitely escalate this to the regional service manager, and higher if need be.

I’m not a mechanic, but I’ve replaced a few diffs in Jeep’s over the years. IMO, the gear wear in the pics appears to be from a lack of oil, with abrasions to the tooth faces. Not a normal wear pattern from what I’m used to seeing. Maybe others with more diff experience can chime in.

The link to the phone numbers are:

http://www.tacomahq.com/1948/toyota-customer-service-tips/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I really don't want to cause a big fuss with the dealership. Like I said they have been great up until the point they hand tightened the drain plug then acted like I was over reacting. I was even really cool about it all. Just wanted the thing fixed up. All the techs and service people were great. It was the manager and the foreman who acted all pissed.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
BLKSHP5, if you're not madder'n hell about all this, man, you already have peace like a river. 0:)

Even with the poor quality of the photos, that does not look like a normal gear wear pattern to me...and, I'm sure they know it too! It is time to let the service manager and the foreman know that they have absolutely no right to be pi$$ed at you about their people screwing up YOUR truck. :051:

First they sell you a bunch of service you don't need (power steering flush...wtf?), and then, they ruin your truck in the process of taking your hard earned cash!!! And, when you bring it back broken, they refuse to take responsibility for the destruction they've done? Are they trying to say that "some other dude" crawled up under your truck, and loosened the differential plug so it would fall out while you drive? Sounds like you live close to my neighborhood...if you want to divulge the dealer, I would be interested in knowing, so I can avoid them at all costs.

Thanks for your service. :patriot:

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
BLKSHP5 you're exhibiting patience and understanding like a Saint. You need to be exhibiting aggressive behavior like a Jedi.

You will only get one bite at this apple. And you must take it now. As mentioned before DOCUMENT EVERYTHING. No one will remember the 2nd week in July 2017 in two years when the problem finally compounds itself into a catastrophic failure. Follow the link provided to the regional Toyota people and lay it out. Stay focused on facts. Don't let emotion drive any of your arguments, points or rebuttals. Don't pose questions ("well, then, what were you gonna do?") but rather make statements. This allows you to control the conversation and argument.

Time is of the essence. You're busy. I know. But the time for action is now. Protect your truck and your investment. Make them atone for their F up. And it's a huge F up.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Yep, dealers around me in the Plano, Richardson, and McKinney area have all displayed mechanical ineptitude when it came to things like reinstalling the skid plate bolts, installing the oil filter correctly, and ensuring lug nuts were actually torqued correctly after service.

I drove all the way home before noticing the valve stem caps were loose which led me to check the lug nuts and finding some of them loose too. I'm blessed there was enough lug nuts on to stop the wheels from coming off!!!

I have also caught them tinkering with things like the ECU and then deny they flashed anything...

I'm still looking for a dealer and service advisor that actually gives a crap around here. They all act short with you if you find something and act like YOUR putting them out. One of them gave me a hard time about a fender flare gasket needing replaced and another told me flares were for looks only and allowed to be loose enough to flap around which was the cause of the first flare gasket failing.

If anyone knows a dealer in the DFW area that actually cares about doing correct service on Toyota vehicles please let me know.

OP in my opinion, I would escalate this by calling corporate immediately! They owe you a new diff since they cannot prove this could cause a latent failure due to negligence. Also, check out the rest of the truck for crap they may have caused.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Once again, thanks for all of the advice. I've come to realize that remaining civil is the best way to go when on their turf. What really upset me is that the only time the service manager talked to me was about six hours later when I voiced my concern with the worn gears. Even then the guy wouldn't stand up and talk to me man to man. I don't take disrespect like that very well from an organization that sold me a 45K truck, 3K warranty, and then $800 in services. Immediately after the incident with the service manager I hopped on a couple of the Tundra facebook sites for a sanity check. I don't know if the majority of that population is just nothing but fanboys and techs but I got the feeling that I was looked at as just a complainer. Like I said previously, I have been a huge fan of the Toyota corporation and planned on having one of their vehicles in my driveway for years. After this I can't say that I feel that way. I am heading back to Charles Maund Toyota in Austin tomorrow to pick up my truck and then go from there. At this point I think I will take the information you all have given and just file a formal complaint via the appropriate channels. I cannot run the risk of having my family deal with that kind of service if I find myself overseas. I had the same type of issue when I had a 2010 F-150 and my wife had constant service issues while I was deployed. I made the decision to go with Toyota because they are reliable.

·
Registered
14,228 Posts
That was really hard to read, should add some spaces, hit the enter a few times. Makes it easier.

Just saying.

On to the issue.

No way in hell would I be ok with driving my 50k truck with no diff lube and a missing plug for who knows how far.

Not just the gear faces, but the bearings had to have gotten hot and shortened the life due to no lube ON THE HIGHWAY of all places.

It would be different if I pulled out and realized this a mile or few down the road...

Also, this isn't really anything directly related to Toyota, but to the dealer and it's owners.

I had an issue where my valve cover line up dowel holes in the cam towers/housings were both broken.

It took months, and going directly to the owner on several channels to get it made right.

They actually stood up and fixed their screw up to the point that I still get my maintenance done there. They know not to EPH up my truck though now.

·
Registered
14,228 Posts
Roger on the need for paragraphs. It's like i'm writing mini-novels on this thing. haha.
Yea, it is hard to remember to space when using a phone or tablet.

And even harder when you are venting about an issue.

Spacing just makes it easier on the eyes to follow. Also then more people are likely to read/respond as some people just see a huge amount of text and figure TLDR and move on.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
your gears are damaged so a trip to a dealer is in order sooner rather than later.further dismantling will show if bearings took a beating as well.
time to have a heart to heart to heart with service manager.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
...I am heading back to Charles Maund Toyota in Austin tomorrow to pick up my truck and then go from there...
Ah-Ha...Well, THAT is good to know. I can't say I'm real surprised, but they had given you good service up until they totally screwed the pooch.

When I bought my 2017 SR5 DC in May, that dealer was advertising outrageously expensive prices for identical equipment, and I never even considered contacting them. I ended up at San Marcos Toyota because they quoted a reasonable internet price right up front, and I negotiated with them to get it still cheaper. So far, I highly recommend them as a dealer, but I haven't tried their service department. Consistent with my usual practice, I will try to avoid ANY dealer service that I possibly can for the very reason you've just experienced. Austin (also about 40 miles for me) would be the nearest Toyota dealer, but my theory is this: If you don't let other idiots screw with your Toyota, then you probably can get by without having a dealer located next door because, hopefully, you won't need them. That's why I bought a Toyota in the first place.

This is a bitch situation for you...Good Luck. :(

·
Chief of Grammar Police
2,497 Posts
That was really hard to read, should add some spaces, hit the enter a few times. Makes it easier.

Just saying.

On to the issue.

No way in hell would I be ok with driving my 50k truck with no diff lube and a missing plug for who knows how far.

Not just the gear faces, but the bearings had to have gotten hot and shortened the life due to no lube ON THE HIGHWAY of all places.

It would be different if I pulled out and realized this a mile or few down the road...

Also, this isn't really anything directly related to Toyota, but to the dealer and it's owners.

I had an issue where my valve cover line up dowel holes in the cam towers/housings were both broken.

It took months, and going directly to the owner on several channels to get it made right.

They actually stood up and fixed their screw up to the point that I still get my maintenance done there. They know not to EPH up my truck though now.

Spacing just makes it easier on the eyes to follow. Also then more people are likely to read/respond as some people just see a huge amount of text and figure TLDR and move on.
Roger on the need for paragraphs. It's like i'm writing mini-novels on this thing. haha.
What @Powertechn2 said sounds reasonable. Spaces are the key brother.

·
Premium Member
15,631 Posts

fixed

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So went back into the dealer to pick up my truck. Ended up running into the actual service manager and not his assistant who I mistook as the top dog.

We had a great conversation with documented guarantees regarding my rear differential, a rundown of their follow up inspections after they put it back together, and the scheduled retraining of an employee who needs a lesson in respect.

The kind of respect you should give when your guy screws up royally in the first place!

I know most people would continue banging the war drum but like I told the manager, his respectful attitude towards me coupled with everything else allows me to keep this at a lower level than I originally intended.

I'm a pretty laid back guy and I feel this is a positive step forward. I'm optimistic about the dealership and happy to bring my baby home.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I did make sure to get everything in writing with his name as the approving authority.

"Customer has full warranty covering any issues with rear differential per XXX XXXX."

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
I did not read every post so, maybe someone has mentioned, You're just looking at the gears which are the toughest thing in that case. Bearing would worry me more.
That said, sounds like, oils plug dislodged, oil evacuated and while the oil was escaping, a good citizen told you and you stopped. Chances are likely that damage is very limited as you caught it quickly. Still, bearings worry me.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I would request a complete new rear end..end of story. Take them to small claims court if they disagree. Or get used to staying in the hotels again when you have problems in a couple months...LOL

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.