Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 Tundra 4x4 4.7 access cab
Welds around the rear Diff cover are leaking.
Planning on cutting off old cover, grinding down and welding new cover back on.
We were thinking of drilling and tapping bolts instead of welding- so the Rear Diff gearbox is accessible in the future without pulling the Rear Diff.
Is the housing thick enough to do this?
Anyone ever heard of someone doing this?
Also, I beleive we'll need to pull the axles, so I want to replace the Dust Sheilds and either clean or replace the Backing Plates.
We'll then clean up the axle housing and Rear Diff Case, prime, and paint to ward off future rust.
Anything else you'd suggest I do while we're in there? (We dont have a press handy to do bearings, etc).
Lastly, can anyone suggest where to find a 'parts list' for this job- so I can make sure I have everything I need to get it done over a weekend?

· Registered
28 Posts
I had this done on my 2002 that was weeping a bit a few months ago. I found a very nice rust free differential all media blasted on craigslist. I think it was a bout $200-300 or so. ABS brakes are a different housing. I took it to my usual shop guy and he installed it and swapped my differential gears in, and I had him go through everything back there since he was there anyway. He installed new brakes, new brake lines, and new wheel bearings IIRC. I think the total tab was about $1K. Money well spent.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.