Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about getting rid of the rear cats. Im assuming it wont throw an engine code. But how loud does it make the exhaust having only 2 compared to 4. Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I wouldn't do it. If you have O2 sensors after the cats, it will definitely throw a code unless they're turned off in the ECU. These new vehicles need a certain amount of back pressure in the exhaust to perform at their peak. It's very common for people who delete cats to experience some loss in HP/TQ. Not to mention, I'm pretty sure it's illegal.

·
"The Antagonizer"
12,046 Posts
I've had mine gutted for almost 5 years now and never had a single problem with engine codes or anything. It does change the exhaust tone pretty good, gives it that growl that you don't hear on other vehicles. I highly recommend doing it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
As you remove the rear cats only then you're good. The front ones are monitored by O2 sensors. I've had my rear off for almost 2 years and never h ad a problem. Passed emissions just yesterday for the 2nd year in a row.. I welded in a straight pipe and sprayed the whole exhaust black. So even when he pulled out his mirror to look. It all appeared factory and well.. its a bit louder at idle and a monster at WOT. Uts awesome. Didn't notice any significant gains in power and definitely no losses. I recommend it.. then I parted em to a scrap yard for $300.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
"The Antagonizer"
12,046 Posts
^ David Mason lives down in TX and on his old Tundra he removed all 4 cats and straight piped it all the way out back and passed.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Interesting, you say it changes the tone a lot. Is it super loud And anoying when your on the high way. I ask cause ill be driving 5hrs to college the end of this year.

·
"The Antagonizer"
12,046 Posts
Interesting, you say it changes the tone a lot. Is it super loud And anoying when your on the high way. I ask cause ill be driving 5hrs to college the end of this year.

David's truck was insanely loud with no cats or mufflers. It all depends on what kind of muffler(s) you're running to determine whether it will be too loud for you or not. What muffler(s) do you run?

·
"The Antagonizer"
12,046 Posts

·
"The Antagonizer"
12,046 Posts
I was leaning toward a magnaflow but from here I see people like the Borla better so I was thinking that.

Borla isn't any louder than the stock exhaust. There is someone around town at the dealership who runs a Borla on his white CM and it is barely deeper and louder than the stock exhaust. Get a dual in dual out Magnaflow muffler, it has the built-in X-Pipe which will also help performance wise.

·
"The Antagonizer"
12,046 Posts
^ What JC said! I had my tailpipes go over the rear axle at a 45 degree angle and had the ends slant bent right before the rear bumper and had the tailpipes painted gloss black so nobody could see em unless you look under the truck. And the best thing is that there is no drone at all.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Borla isn't any louder than the stock exhaust. There is someone around town at the dealership who runs a Borla on his white CM and it is barely deeper and louder than the stock exhaust. Get a dual in dual out Magnaflow muffler, it has the built-in X-Pipe which will also help performance wise.
-I have to disagree. I have borla and at ilde it is quiet, but get on it just alittle and it wakes up real nice, more so than a stock exhaust at least.
-I'm also interested in doing the rear cat delete, how would it change my tone with the borla on it? I also drove 40 miles a day on the highway and don't want any drone.

·
"The Antagonizer"
12,046 Posts
-I have to disagree. I have borla and at ilde it is quiet, but get on it just alittle and it wakes up real nice, more so than a stock exhaust at least.
-I'm also interested in doing the rear cat delete, how would it change my tone with the borla on it? I also drove 40 miles a day on the highway and don't want any drone.
It would give your Borla exhaust a deeper tone and it would be louder for sure. It won't be obnoxiously loud, should be perfect for you if you drive 40 miles a day.

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Registered
208 Posts
Awesome, just want I wanted to hear..thanks

·
Registered
872 Posts
So borla or magnaflow?

·
Cereal Killer
20,307 Posts
Borla. You can use Magnaflow parts only, but avoid their full systems. Their cat back designers are utterly incompetent.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts