Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
First time post. I have a 2007 4x4 DC SR5 5.7 I bought in August. I recently got some scratches on my rear bedside and had to remove the bumper to repaint the scratches. When I took the rear bumper off I noticed on the underside some rust spots and didn't think it was normal for the truck only being a few months old. I had to take my truck in for an oil change a few weeks later and had them take a look at it. Well the service writer at the dealership said he couldn't do anything about it. Well my salesman told him to call the Toyota rep and the rep said that the underside of the bumper isn't sealed like the topside of the bumper is against corrosion. And said the only way that they would replace the bumper would be if it corroded through the top side. I think that this is ridiculous. We are covered by a 5 year/unlimited mileage corrosion warranty and well...I don't know about you but I consider rust on my bumper to be corrosion. Everyone out there check out the underside of your bumper and see if you have any corrosion.

·
Registered
12 Posts
boy they are coming out of the wood work to try and put down the tundra's

·
Registered
696 Posts
If it's true I'd tend to agree with Kasperj. Why wouldn't they clear coat the back side of the bumper to stop this? It doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I live where the roads get salted. I don't want my bumper rusting through in 3 or 4 years even if it is covered. :(

·
Registered
5 Posts
have the Area Rep see the issue. The Service Manager can not do much about it with out the Area Rep. Having the Area Rep see the issue will also (Hopefully)help make Toyota aware of the issue. I have rust on my front bumper around the fog lights, and some other minor spots on the front and back.

Service Manager understands my issue, but said his hands were tied with out the Area Manager.

Anyone with this issue should bring it to the Dealers Attention.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Well, there are quite a few people in this threat who have rust on the bumper and for a vehicle which are in some cases less then 100 days old, that is not a good thing!
Toyota has to get a grip on this fast!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've been posting in another topic on this but thought I would chime in. I called Toyota direct to lodge a compliant on my truck. I was given a case number and a Rep called me back today. He confirmed what I had told him. I guess they call the dealership in question and check on your story. I was told at my dealership that the rust was my fault for not washing my truck enough. I was also told by the service manager that my whole truck would rust and that it was coming and I should get ready for it. So I get this guy on the phone from Toyota who says that he spoke with the service manager and that Toyota stood by his decision. I was welcome to take my truck for a second opinion at another dealership in another town. I asked him what would happen if the same thing was said to me there. By now I am pretty angry as he keeps telling that it is perfectly normal for some new cars to rust. I told him I had half a mind to put my truck in a bad place that belonged to the service manager. He responded that Toyota did not train him to respond to emotions but that some new vehicles rust. If anyone can actually get to a regional rep let us know what is said. I have always kept my cool at the dealership. But the guy from Toyota pushed every button I had.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Update!!!

Just saw the Area Rep for the Madison area. Both bumpers being replaced. She took pictures and is creating a service report, that will be sent to Toyota.

Again, if you have a rust issue be sure to bring it to your Dealers attention.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Bumper Rust

I just wanted to voice my issue too. I am driving a '07 4x4 Limited Crewmax 5.7 which I bought 2 months ago and has under 2000 miles on it. After reading these posts, I took a look at my rear bumper. Sure enough, to my dismay, I too have rust. So much for the Heavy Duty Anti-Corrosion I paid for. Since noticing this I have looked at other "new" Tundras I see in parking lots and out of the 3 I have looked at, all 3 had rust on the bumpers! I will be visiting my dealer in Moline, IL. this week. They better do something to take care of this considering I have bought a '07 Tundra and an '08 Highlander in the last 4 months! Other than this issue, I LOVE my Tundra so far!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have rust on the bumper of my 2007 4.7 DC and not too happy about it. Got a chromed suzuki cruiser with 25k miles since 2002 and not one spot of rust and yes I ride in the rain plenty. My truck has 1,900 miles on it. That would be corrosion and should be replaced.

G

·
Just noticed today that my bumpers (front and back) are getting some little rust spots. Looked at my buddies 2006 Dodge and it is worse. Mine just rubbed off with a glove. Grille chrome had it too. Gotta find some autosol or something to protect it or it's going to leave pits that can't be removed and look like crap.

·
Registered
408 Posts
The owner of the body shop my truck is at right now told me that Dodge Rams are the worst for rusty chrome bumpers. He called them "throw away garbage" (the bumpers that is).

·
Premium Member
13,349 Posts
I have Toyo Guard and I checked both bumpers since reading this thread. I have to say so far so lucky I don't have the problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Grrrrr

:mad: I've only had my truck 3 weeks, and after reading this post I went out to the garage...:mad: the front bumper is rusting BAD, all around the fog lights.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Today I was visited by a friend that I have not seen in a while. He stated he purchased a 07 tundra DC last fall. He was unhapppy with the bumpers that are rusting through the chrome. The dealer stated they had to rust through before they would replace them. He complained to Toyota in Cali about the bumpers. A rep looked at his truck and authorized the replacement of the front and back bumpers. Whats interesting is I purchased an 07 tundra DC in july of 2007 and my truck has the same spots in the same places. I will be visiting my dealer next week. Supposedly the bumpers are not zinc coated properly.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Interesting question: Is sea salt or road salt more agressive??!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts