Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Broke down about a year ago and has been sitting, start it up every now and then. The mechanic said the rear axle blew on the driver side? Looking at getting a new one. I see they have them for like 750. Any options in getting a beefed up setup for draging or so? Any info is appreciated. BTW new to the forum and looking forward with talking to everyone. And building this thang located in South Louisiana

·
Registered
13,521 Posts
If the axle seal is all that failed, why not just repair it?

You could replace the bearings while there.

At least you know it's history. You could get a junkyard axle that has been submarined, maybe the seals are going too, who knows.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He basically told me it'd be 2 grand to fix so I took my money elsewhere and bough a brand new car.?

·
Registered
13,521 Posts
That sounds more like gears are toast/chipped.

If that's the case, then I guess look at replacements, just remember that you might not know what exactly you might get into.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Heard that, I'm really interested in looking to see if they have any aftermarket rear axle setups or something

·
Premium Member
6,169 Posts
Heard that, I'm really interested in looking to see if they have any aftermarket rear axle setups or something
Not yet. It's a pretty small market. They are showing up in boneyards so check around for a better price. $750 sounds steep to me for a used one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Think I just found everything I need with 2004 v8 tundra 2x4 kinda near me that got into a minor front end accident parting out everything might just pick up the whole thing from him for more parts��

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
everything should swap over with no problems. The only thing you need to be mindful is gear ratio.
This was going to be my suggestion as well. If it's a 4x4 truck, then the differential gearing absolutely has to match front and rear.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts