Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 22' covered sled trailer and wondering which would be a better buy, loadlifter air bags or a WD hitch? any suggestions?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do those WD hitches actually level out your truck? nothing worse than having every vehicle you meet flash thier brights at you especially on the snow covered roads in the mountains.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I tow an 8000 lb loaded 20 foot toyhauler and with my weight distribution hitch the front of my truck sits about 1/8 inch higher.

Airbags and weight distribution hitches are 2 completely differnt things that have very different purposes. I think more people go with airbags because they are cheaper than a good hitch and also think that if the back isn't sagging then all is good.

·
Registered
579 Posts
You will most likely want both. As stated they do a different job. The WD hitch takes weight from the tongue/back of truck and through torque placed on the bars actually attempts to twist the ball and back of receiver up. Since this is solid steal and attached to your frame. Your frame becomes an active part of the suspension and places that torque down on the front axle. Such as the term WD hitch. It helps distributes the weight to both axles. The law in California states that any trailer over 3500 lb. is required to have a WD hitch. The air bags will help with sag and improve ride while loaded especially on rough roads.

Reactions: rawson909

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys I appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
How much does your new trailer weigh? Is your suspension stock? Most likely you will not need anything other than the WDH for a trailer that size unless you are leveled then you will want both. The WDH will only do so much, the bags would help level it out beyond what the WDH can do.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
. The WDH will only do so much, the bags would help level it out beyond what the WDH can do.
If you need both then you either do not have the WDH set up right or you are not using a good WDH. A good WDH such as the Equal-I-Zer will be all that you need. It is going to run you some $$$ but with the added sway control that it provides it is a no brainer.

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
another vote for weight distribution hitch. I've towed 10+ lbs with a truck that had bags, and I shared driving in a 3 day road trip both ways using the wdh. Hands down the wdh makes a truck more stable. both would be nice, but then you have airbags to deal with when not towing. the wdh comes off when not towing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The trailer only weighs 2700 lbs but i had it loaded full of the gf's stuff, so another few thousand pounds just in cloths lol. ill be putting three sleds in it this winter along with gear, so maybe another 2000 lbs or so. I was looking at the trailer and i dont think a wd hitch will work, the propane tanks cover the area where the wd hitch latches onto the trailer.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Most travel trailers have propane tanks also. They are made to work around or with minimum alterations. Getting some measurements of another trailer with WD hitch would be a good idea then buy the same model.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts