Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I really want a supercharger but can't really justify the price. What's the used market look like for them?

Anything I should look out for?

Is there a chance of finding one in like a wrecked truck? That would be worth it?

What is the effect on mpg and maint?

Thanks, I searched and got back and forth answers.....

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
"Seahawks Hater"
4,147 Posts
That's the thing, hardly anyone sells a used sc. And even then, is be weary to install a used one in my rig. I'd stay way away from a wrecked sc.

Mpg increases if you drive like a granny, but what's the point? Then you will spend more in fuel cause you can only run premium fuel. Think about it

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
True, I have the cash for it just struggling to justify it. I already run either mid grade or premium, don't know that it helps.

Yeah I figured if I found a truck that had rear end damage or something like that, surely wouldn't take one off of a head on truck.

That's the other thing, I never drive fast or anything like that and can't really figure out why I want it lol maybe just bragging rights? I dunno. Anyway, thanks!!!

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
Blaine,

I'm there with you. I have the shells to get one, but I have slowed down a lot as of recent.
I still would like to get it, but have zero need. I'm leaving the money in the bank for a new house. I have three years, that's the goal anyway.

Of course, that could all change. I reserve the right to flip flop!

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, that's basically what I am doing. I never drive fast, never have, I'm 25 and think it would be cool to have a SC. lol who knows maybe a ups truck will get lost and drop me off one by accident!

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
...or you could just hit storage locker auctions until you see the TRD boxes in the unit. Hahahaha

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Having the SC is not about driving reckless or drag racing on every street corner. It is however, one great mod to know that anytime you want it to move, it WILL move. Use of seatbelts strongly recommended.

I have almost 390 HP (crank) with my baby First Gen and love it. It surprises many when they decide to test the sleeper. I can only imagine
the power curve with a 5.7 SC.

If the finances work, and your not going to charge it, go for it. You will be
driving with a renewed power plant at that point. Gas mileage may suffer
for a couple of months due to heavy foot and thrill of disbelief when the
right foot depresses that right pedal. :D

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Haha yeah, what about resale? Does the resale of your truck go up?
Depends. It is like having a pool on your property. Some buyers like it, some
do not.

Same for SC. If the buyer wants that option, it helps. Of course, it is not a
1 to 1 ratio for ROI. Adding the SC is not about making an investment for resale on a truck.. In theory, it now becomes a "used" mod, and only adds
X, again, depending on the potential buyer. The downside, IIRC, you cannot
reflash the ECU to go back to stock. I am sure the 2nd Gen guys can answer that side of it better than I.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah I just didn't want to put something on the truck that a dealer or buyer would try to give me less than if it was stock.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Yeah, that's basically what I am doing. I never drive fast, never have, I'm 25 and think it would be cool to have a SC. lol who knows maybe a ups truck will get lost and drop me off one by accident!

Have you ever driven a 500 plus hp vehicle? Horesepower is very addictive! Once you have 500 hp you will want even more :D. My truck is a daily driver and I have smiled every day since I have gotten in it for the last 4 years.

Don't over think it and just get it!

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nope sure haven't..... What's the most hp anyone on here is running with it still being a street truck?

·
Registered
808 Posts
Have you ever driven a 500 plus hp vehicle? Horesepower is very addictive!
Agreed!

And it'll never be enough.

One day you'll be racing everything and anything and there won't be much that will be able to keep up and then you'll realize, "damn, this thing is fast."

But till then you'll always want more and you'll always be broke.

That's the thing I don't like about this addiction.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts