Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

301 - 320 of 427 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
It's a thing of beauty ~ Good Job !

As a kid in the early 60s we built and raced our own slot cars. A fellow would take us from one event to the next and we needed a box for all our cars, controllers and spare parts.
I bought a tackle box similar in design to what you have made ~ however, the build quality on our units pale in comparison to yours. Seeing your creation brought back a lot of memories.
Thanks!

I dunno, that looks pretty well built. I like the hardware. I was looking for corner protectors similar to those that but I couldn't find them in the finish that I wanted.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I think internet and proliferation of news, mostly negative bad news has made us very untrusting. I'm sure there were just as many crazy people back then as there are now, but then it just wasnt broadcasted to everyone's news feed on facebook.
I'd say that's pretty true. I read an article a few months ago where the author decided to go on a long cross-country trip without checking facebook, twitter, or watching any news or picking up a newspaper. Based on the experiences they had and the people they met, they came to the conclusion that if you ignore social media or mass media, America is actually a pretty nice place with lots of nice people.

·
Registered
9,655 Posts
I dunno, that looks pretty well built. I like the hardware. I was looking for corner protectors similar to those that but I couldn't find them in the finish that I wanted.

You may have missed your calling in life as a cabinetmaker !
Our totes were made of plywood and much simpler in design than what you've created here from solid stock (Oak?).
We knew we were 'Big Time' when we graduated from a plastic tackle box to one of these creations by Hoffman.

·
Registered
212 Posts
You may have missed your calling in life as a cabinetmaker !
Our totes were made of plywood and much simpler in design than what you've created here from solid stock (Oak?).
Yeah, oak. It's not all solid, though. The top of the lid and bottoms of the drawers are oak veneered plywood. The sides, back, and bottom also have some plywood but with solid wood on exposed edges. The panel of the raised panel front is 1/4" plywood which I guess makes it not really "raised." The center part of the sides is a raised panel-type construction with tongue-and-groove joinery, but in that case the center panel is 1/2" thick plywood, the same thickness as the stiles and rails. The thin piece in the lid used to make the compartment for reference material is also 1/4" plywood.

I'm a bit concerned about the handle with just two screws supporting it as I don't think much weight gets transferred to the screws on the end caps. I lifted it fully loaded and it held, but at this point I consider the handle more decorative than functional. If it's unloaded it's not a big deal. Fully loaded it comes in around 44 pounds.

I took a cabinet making class last year. If / when I build my retirement home I plan to do the cabinetry myself.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Since we are on the topic of woodworking. I got out my comfort zone and decided to make a wood pick guard out of veneer for my son’s guitar. We bought it as a Christmas gift for him but my wife said it looked like a 90’s kitchen.

I took ash, African wenge, and red gum on one and walnut on the other and made my plywood. It sat clamped for about a month since I didn’t have time to mess with it again.

I ended up putting 7 coats of danish oil on them.

Finished product. He chose the red gum one.

I built 2 because I figured I’d mess one up. I have never messed with veneer, tried to cut out something like that out of wood, or use and oil finish. I had also never taken a guitar apart. I ended up re soldering all the grounds and doing some shielding wile it was apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,655 Posts

This one is my favorite of the three ~ is it Walnut ?
It's a nice contrast to the blond wood of the body.

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
Since we are on the topic of woodworking. I got out my comfort zone and decided to make a wood pick guard out of veneer for my son’s guitar. We bought it as a Christmas gift for him but my wife said it looked like a 90’s kitchen.

I took ash, African wenge, and red gum on one and walnut on the other and made my plywood. It sat clamped for about a month since I didn’t have time to mess with it again.

I ended up putting 7 coats of danish oil on them.

Finished product. He chose the red gum one.

I built 2 because I figured I’d mess one up. I have never messed with veneer, tried to cut out something like that out of wood, or use and oil finish. I had also never taken a guitar apart. I ended up re soldering all the grounds and doing some shielding wile it was apart.

Nice! Did you upgrade the pickups at all? I would have put in a full size hum bucker.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Nice! Did you upgrade the pickups at all? I would have put in a full size hum bucker.

I don’t know anything about guitars. I’ve been reading up on upgrades the last few weeks.

Is a 2000 model MIM fender strat 1970 re-issue.

I might do some new pickups for him later. I thought about a humbucker but I don’t want to have to carve out the body of the guitar. I found some stacked dual coils that seem interesting.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts

This one is my favorite of the three ~ is it Walnut ?
It's a nice contrast to the blond wood of the body.

Yep that’s walnut. I liked that one as well.

My original plan was to do it out of Indian rosewood but that was way too expensive. I have about $50 total invested. And have a ton of veneer if I ever decided to make more.

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
I don’t know anything about guitars. I’ve been reading up on upgrades the last few weeks.

Is a 2000 model MIM fender strat 1970 re-issue.

I might do some new pickups for him later. I thought about a humbucker but I don’t want to have to carve out the body of the guitar. I found some stacked dual coils that seem interesting.

Interesting, my MIM strat has an HSS cutout configuration so I only had to swap out the pick guard, rewire and drill new screw holes to install one. Definitely check out some of the Dimarzio and Seymour Duncan dual coil pickups as it’s your best option.

·
Registered
9,655 Posts

This Pelican was pretty entertaining. The fisherman standing on the pier said this bird had been keeping him company all day.
He had been feeding him some fish scraps, so the Pelican got pretty comfortable with people passing by.
He stood his ground while people got their selfies, with him in the backdrop.
It was a fun part of the evening just watching him hang out on the rail.​​

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
How to identify the car of a RF hardware engineer/CB radio enthusiast...

Too many or too few antennas?

301 - 320 of 427 Posts