Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

181 - 200 of 432 Posts

·
Registered
9,711 Posts

My Bike
by Amos Robinson

Amos Robinson knows about the impact public art can have. A local metal sculptor—he is a featured artist at this year’s Mission Federal ArtWalk in Little Italy—Robinson was relaxing at home with his wife one Sunday when a woman visiting from Washington called.

“She was down at the (San Diego) Embarcadero with her girlfriends, and they called just to say how much they appreciated my work there. It’s stuff like that that makes me a big fan of public art and what it can do,” Robinson says.

The women were viewing “My Bike,” which depicts a bicyclist in mid-air, strands of stainless steel hair flying back in the San Diego Bay breeze. It’s one of five sculptures Robinson has created for the Port of San Diego’s rotating “Urban Trees” installation. Now in its seventh year, the annual exhibit includes 30 commissioned tree interpretations along Harbor Drive, from Hawthorn Street to the Cruise Ship Terminal.

“I want to bring something to the public that is positive,” says Robinson, a self-taught artist and former designer of industrial air pollution control equipment.
“I don’t care for dark art; I want my art to be fun, put a smile on your face or bring back a memory from your youth.”

My-Bike-2.jpg

·
Registered
47 Posts
How to Beat the Heat
by Banjo the Elder (My 34yo Paint horse. 34 horse years = ~100 human years!)

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks. I'm glad I always have my cell phone with me and I'm glad they have such good cameras now.
But there's a lot of times I wish I had a really nice camera. I think in will invest in one soon.
RRzxter, I have a nice Nikon DSLR, and it hardly ever gets used. Why? It takes planning; you have to remember to take it along for one thing. And then it is always safely stowed in it's protective case; you have to fumble around, get it out, turn it on, fiddle with the zoom, figure out why it isn't working, etc.
OTOH, the phone is always right at hand, always "ON", and is ready to take pictures in seconds. And my Samsung phone has a very nice camera; about the only down-side is being stuck with the fixed wide-angle lens.
But I probably take (literally) a thousand fotos on the phone for every one from the DSLR, and the Most Important "secret" to getting good fotos is to have the camera ready to go when the photo-op comes along. The fotos of Banjie (above) were taken from the seat of my tractor; would have never gotten the DSLR out in time, even if I had been carrying it.
My $.02. Steve

181 - 200 of 432 Posts