Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Lately I have seen a few people installing Rancho's Quicklift units on their Sr5/Trd packaged trucks and having the issue which I noted in depth a few years back which is that you don't get proper height gains.

In order to get proper height on a Bilstein equipped truck, you HAVE TO swap the coils from the factory Bilstein strut assembly. No if's an's or buts.

The non Bilstein equipped trucks have different strut assemblies as well as different front end heights from the factory than TRD or Sr5 trucks do, and they gain proper height as listed.

Rancho has a note saying 4wd only, but they should have worded it something to the effect of "Will not gain proper height on TRD/SR5 packaged trucks with Bilstein shocks". This note was supposed to be fixed a while ago, but hasn't been yet.

The difference is 1 1/8 to 1 1/4 inches of height gain in front vs 2 1/8 to 2 1/2 inches in height gain between using the coils that come pre-loaded vs swapping the Bilstein coils over to the Rancho quicklift units.

Stock

And

After just installing Rancho Quicklift with the loaded/pre-installed spring

And

After swapping the factory Bilstein coil springs to the Rancho shock

And

NOTE: The wheel well/fender to tire gap is now equal, whereas before it was about 1 1/4 to 1 3/8 inch lower in front still.

After with wheel/tire swap... As most will eventually swap wheels or at least tires.

Hope this helps, maybe it will get a sticky so people stop having issues.

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank You ;)

Reactions: Ogtoyfan

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
I don't have bilstien shocks on my tundra and I'm seriously considering the rancho coilovers, I drive on the highway for the most part and do off road a little, but I'll be moving to Alaska here before long and I don't want to have to worry about not having a quality shock or spring, you know? I just want to lift it a little and put some more aggressive wheels and tires. Is this the best option?

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I never had any issues with them on my Fj, and thus far have not had any issues with them on my tunder.

Also lifetime warranty and no one has ever had the spring retainer break on them and drop the front of the vehicle like some other struts lol.

Reactions: firefighter37

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rancho is an entirely different company than Readylift...

No relation at all to the lift kits, the Rancho Quicklift is an actual strut with adjustable combo rebound/dampening... Not a shitty spacer.

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Their R&D dept is also located in Monroe Mi.

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How is the ride quality compare to Bilstein 5100 and ProComp ProRunner?

I can't honestly say as I have not driven a Tundra with either of those.
I would imagine better than the steins.
The procomp's might be closer to these for ride quality, however neither of those offer any adjustment for valving like the rancho does.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ok so I was planning on running the Rancho Quick Lift setup on my 07 SR5... are you saying that the SR5 has Bilstein stuts on it? I was under the impression that only the TRD came with the 5100's on it stock?

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mine is a RW. Only the rw's had the steins on it I believe, maybe the trd, but unsure.

You should be ok as you don't have either of those.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Trd also has the steins

Reactions: Powertechn2

·
Registered
10 Posts
Shock packages, suppliers and ride heights can and do change from year to year. So if you have a TRD or RW model with Bilstein's on it, they more than likely sit a little higher than a standard base model.

Most (if not all) aftermarket lift / leveling companies are basing their lift heights from a stock base platform. If a TRD equipped truck comes an inch higher from the factory than a base platform, than you are going to get 1" less lift than the strut lift manufacturer states. You can change the spring, and that may help, but it is also dependent on the lower spring seat location (adding preload to the coil spring).

Most leveling kit spacer manufacturers state not to run on TRD / Bilstein packages due to getting too much lift than the factory geometry can handle.

Also, 5100 Series are different than the TRD Bilstein's in many regards.

I like both the Rancho Quick Lift and the Bilstein 5100's when it comes to lifting through the strut assembly, they are both good products.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Shock packages, suppliers and ride heights can and do change from year to year. So if you have a TRD or RW model with Bilstein's on it, they more than likely sit a little higher than a standard base model.

Most (if not all) aftermarket lift / leveling companies are basing their lift heights from a stock base platform. If a TRD equipped truck comes an inch higher from the factory than a base platform, than you are going to get 1" less lift than the strut lift manufacturer states. You can change the spring, and that may help, but it is also dependent on the lower spring seat location (adding preload to the coil spring).

Most leveling kit spacer manufacturers state not to run on TRD / Bilstein packages due to getting too much lift than the factory geometry can handle.

Also, 5100 Series are different than the TRD Bilstein's in many regards.

I like both the Rancho Quick Lift and the Bilstein 5100's when it comes to lifting through the strut assembly, they are both good products.
Well crap! ;) I have a 2015 SR5 TRD Off Road 4x4 with the stock Bilsteins and was looking at this:

http://www.procompusa.com/suspension-product-details.aspx?pt=9333&pl=107753

I was thinking it'd give me +1" in the rear and +3" to level me in the front, so overall a +1" lift and level front. Which my understanding is the best I can do without buying a full on lift kit. Which I was avoiding because of $ and I thought my Bilsteins were great and upgrades that I paid for lol.

Any recommendations? I'm mostly pavement, not doing crazy off roading (maybe light every once in a while) and will be pulling a light ski boat or jet ski trailer in the future.

I'm wanting to get a little bit of lift and then pull the trigger on after-market tires/wheels (whatever best fits) to give my truck a more aggressive stance/look. Some Nitto G2s that stick out a little. You know, nice and meaner :)

Any advice greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
28 Posts
You guys sound like you know what you are doing. So I have a question for y'all.

I am adding a leaf to my rear assembly to turn my truck into a 3/4 ton. I am also in need of new rear shocks and front strut assemblies. I am wondering about the finished ride height when this is all done? I was thinking the the quick lift Rancho would maybe level out the truck because the added leaf will ultimately raise the rear height. I am not really concerned about running larger tires/wheels I just want the heavier spring capacity. Also, are there certain shocks that are better suited to the increased ride height? I will probably take base line measurements of the suspension and then post measurements. I would like to order the shocks and do the whole project at once rather than add the leaf and then measure to make sure I have the correct shock limits.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts