Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced my OEM basic radio with a aftermarket. The unit works great, steering wheel controls, phone, backup camera (aftermarket), DVD, everything except the radio has poor reception. I have read and read threads about this, and there are many ideas. I looked on my OEM radio and saw that it had 2 antenna plugs. After reading more I thought maybe I had diversity antennas. I said no problem, I will buy a Y adapter so both antennas work. I don't remember unplugging 2 antenna plus, and can't find a smaller one. It it there or did I lose it. I was messing with the regular antenna plug and found that if I didn't let the ground of the antenna touch the radio, the reception was twice as good, so I put black tape around the plug for now, and am just using the center part of the plug in the radio. I added a ground from the radio to the chassis also with no difference. I looked on my OEM plug, and there is no wire on it to connect the blue wire from the harness I purchased for for the radio for a antenna amplifier, so I guess it does not have one OEM. Am I missing something ? Any help appreciated.

The OEM wire had a blue square plug in the OEM radio. Is this for XM, because my OEM radio did not have XM on it.

Thanks !
Steve

·
Registered
126 Posts
Blue wire is for raising antenna. It's not conditioned so likely has noise on it and is not good for amplification.

Are the 2 OEM ports the same? If not, it's likely a setup that allowed the unit be used in different toyotas with different antennas (industry has moved to smaller plugs).

The antenna needs to be grounded. On some designs, this occurs where the antenna is screwed into the base. On others, it occurs where the antenna plugs into the radio and the radio body, metal, is grounded.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.