Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a good brand of radiator they suggest? Mine is starting to weap a little and figured it's time. I've looked at the Denso's and they seem to be decent at about $115. Any one use a Napa rad?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Well it can work for air-fluid exposure weeps and small holes. But that stuff has got to reduce or clog some of your cooling capacity in the radiator fluid path. Maybe causing higher heat in extreme situations, so watch your temperature.

Ask some mechanics about water pump failure if using that additive. Any issues?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,302 Posts
Denso should be fine. I've been using one for the last 30K miles.

Only downside was getting one undamaged via Amazon. Denso does a piss poor job packaging the radiator in the box as it's not really shipment ready. The foam blocks tend to move around in the box such that there's no real protection during shipment.

Other than that, no complaints. You might want to let us know if you encounter the famed galvanic corrosion that leads to "pink milkshake" around the transmission line entry of the radiator.

Mine was perfectly fine after 170K miles/13 years since I change the fluid every 30K.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I guess I am one of the rare few that have ran the alum-a-seal long term with no issues.

I have 235k on my 07' 5.7 and I drive 1,254 miles a week. In the summer time in West Texas it gets to be 110 degrees plus for several days in a row. Thrown in some stop and go stupid road construction traffic and my temp never moves.

I guess I consider myself lucky. Pro-active maintenance goes a long way.

Don't get me wrong, I should go ahead and replace the radiator to a factory fresh one but... what I have gets me from point A to point B with zero problems.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I stopped in to talk with one of the local mechanics i know and i asked how much to replace it. His radiator cost would be about $250 which i said i can get a Denso for $120-150. He said if i want to get the radiator and supply coolant and tranny fluid, which i already have, he'd do the swap for $120. May just go that route and save myself the aggravation.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The last 2 radiators I have bought (for other vehicles) I had the stock ones rebuilt at the local radiator guy. He actually made them about 2" thicker than the factory ones and they lasted until I sold the trucks. I think they were each about $140 or so. He told me if I ever had any problems with his work to just come back and he would take care of me. His work was good. I am hoping he doesn't retire soon.

·
Registered
9,302 Posts
I stopped in to talk with one of the local mechanics i know and i asked how much to replace it. His radiator cost would be about $250 which i said i can get a Denso for $120-150. He said if i want to get the radiator and supply coolant and tranny fluid, which i already have, he'd do the swap for $120. May just go that route and save myself the aggravation.
Double check with him on the tranny fluid. The amount you lose is negligible. I know I didn't need any.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.