Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

81 - 100 of 215 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
I'm at the track now ,but it's humid and crazy hot with some rain mixed in. Still a blast.
My track shuts down immediately at any sign of rain... Are you racing anytime soon?

·
Registered
943 Posts
They tried drying the track, I was the first run. Guess it was not completely dry ran a 13.4 @ 107mph. 2.6second 60' lol. Was almost my time for me to run again but down came more rain so I called it a day. Gonna wait for good weather to run again.

·
Registered
187 Posts
So check this out. Jim's (jbroas) track this past Friday night had a DA in the 3000's and still managed a 9.3 1/8 mile at 73 mph. Corrected he was an [email protected], pretty amazing for being a crew max with just intake exhaust and shift kit. I ran an 8.9 at 77 before the headers but I weigh at Least 300 pounds less. Either that shift kit is the real deal or jbroas has a factory freak. That's a high 13 low 14 second truck right there.

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
So check this out. Jim's (jbroas) track this past Friday night had a DA in the 3000's and still managed a 9.3 1/8 mile at 73 mph. Corrected he was an [email protected], pretty amazing for being a crew max with just intake exhaust and shift kit. I ran an 8.9 at 77 before the headers but I weigh at Least 300 pounds less. Either that shift kit is the real deal or jbroas has a factory freak. That's a high 13 low 14 second truck right there.
I'll take the real deal..-LoL

My Personal Best on that muggy night was a 9.319 at 76.27mph..
What is that corrected time suppose to be?
My race weight was about 5600 with the passenger..

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
Got to say it again..
RACING!!! What a RUSH!!!!With my newest "Weapon" (a name we use for a new MOD-lol), I had to go try it at the same races where the same cars keep showing up. My newest "weapon" being the Valve Body "Shift Kit" mod.. along with my 4" intake and Drag Radials.. I was super ready to see "what she got!"...
The Truck launches hard, but it now Shifts super FIRM that I can only describe as a "power shift" on a manual as you are "slamming through the gears"..
As an example, I raced a Red 350z two weeks ago. We had the same launch. I had a small lead, but at the end he barely passes me by a foot on the 1/8th mile track. Well last night, I see the red Z again and called it out. This time I had a passenger with me (which is my disadvantage right!?!). I had him videotape this race from the cab. I'm on the right lane. We take off.. I'm ahead.. then I'm waay ahead.. then I'm like 4+ car lengths ahead where I can't see him and he can't be videotaped. I then beat a G35, an older M5, all the Civic Ricers.. I was kicking some serious azz. Only a diesel truck and a sleeper MR2 Turbo beat me.. Man WHAT a RUSH!!!
I'm not sure if "Spoolin67auto" (Chris) is still offering his affordable Shift Kit Mod, but if not, go to the only other company (IPT) and get your Valve Body in for the VB weapon ASAP!!

what is the shifting like under normal driving conditions? and what are the long term affects this mod could have on a daily driver? i dont really know anything about this mod.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Over time it MAY effect the universal joints from the shock, but long term it is so much better for the transmission. If you can get use to the kicks after every shift. Had an IPT shift kit in my 01 and loved it.

·
Cereal Killer
20,307 Posts
I actually enjoy shift shock. I think OEMs should offer a configurable option to this end when you buy a new vehicle. Let the seniors have the half worn out transmission feel they seem to love. I want to feel my transmission upshift. :lol5:

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
what is the shifting like under normal driving conditions? and what are the long term affects this mod could have on a daily driver? i dont really know anything about this mod.
Under normal driving conditions, IMO, you feel this "Bump from Behind" type tap/jerks on each shift (2nd-4th for sure). You definitely have to get use to it.. The stock cushy shifts are Gone! That said, if you are into WOT, you must have this mod done (or else!).. here is a quote from IPT:

"The problem is that the original calibration is engineered for driver comfort rather than ultimate component strength. The soft, sliding shifts that are part of the original design are not appropriate for increased horsepower applications, towing, off road use, racing, etc.

These calibration inadequacies quickly manifest themselves as extremely poor shift quality, and more often than not, severe damage to the gearbox is soon to follow. One of the most common symptoms of this is the engine stuttering or hitting the rev limiter during a full throttle upshift."

You can read the whole article here:
Toyota Modified Valve Body | Toyota Shift Kit | AW4 Shift Kit

I bought my VB Mod from Chris (spoolin67auto), he included custom made aluminum accumulators with pins. He must be on vacation.. sorta MIA for now

You can also buy your VB mod here:
Toyota AB60F | AB60E Modified Valve Body

Attachments

·
Registered
283 Posts
I always use sequential shift mode; start off in S2, the shift from 1-2 is not to bad if you take it easy. While in 2nd I allow the revs to increase (light acceleration), move the shifter to 3rd while letting off the gas briefly for the shift and then re-apply the gas. I do the same thing for the 3rd to 4th gear shift. The shift from 4th to 5th is pretty smooth so I just let it shift without letting off the gas. That's how I drive it on a daily routine or especially if the wife is with me so you don't feel the nudge when it shifts itself. During WOT runs I let it do it's thing!
Hope that helps...

·
Registered
90 Posts
How much does spoolin charge to do this? And is it essentially the same thing IPT offers? Also how much will it cost to have a tranny shop take it apart and put it back together? Hearing that it's actually better for your tranny makes me more inclined to want it.

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
How much does spoolin charge to do this? And is it essentially the same thing IPT offers? Also how much will it cost to have a tranny shop take it apart and put it back together? Hearing that it's actually better for your tranny makes me more inclined to want it.
I'm not good with transmissions, but what I figured out is that Spoolin makes a 'Shift Kit' which includes a 'Valve body'. However, IPT only offers the modified 'Valve Body' at a higher price than Spoolin's 'Shift Kit'.

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
I always use sequential shift mode; start off in S2, the shift from 1-2 is not to bad if you take it easy. While in 2nd I allow the revs to increase (light acceleration), move the shifter to 3rd while letting off the gas briefly for the shift and then re-apply the gas. I do the same thing for the 3rd to 4th gear shift. The shift from 4th to 5th is pretty smooth so I just let it shift without letting off the gas. That's how I drive it on a daily routine or especially if the wife is with me so you don't feel the nudge when it shifts itself. During WOT runs I let it do it's thing!
Hope that helps...
I really appreciate this feed back. I was letting off the gas on "D".. I totally forgot about the "S" modes.. Thanks!!

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Spoolin charged a terrific price at $300. I had a Mom and Pop tranny shop quote me $280 for a VB swap..

I'm not good with transmissions, but what I figured out is that Spoolin makes a 'Shift Kit' which includes a 'Valve body'. However, IPT only offers the modified 'Valve Body' at a higher price than Spoolin's 'Shift Kit'.
I wouldn't have ever messed with my tranny, but after I watch this video four times
.. and being able to have changed my own brakes, plugs, and oil/filter.. This was very do-able. I once brought my truck in for a drain and fill tranny svc to the dealer and got charged $280. Shoot, what a super rip off, it's really really easy to change the tranny fluid now and re-fill it up correctly. Spoolin gave me a "cheat sheet". You do not need tech screen or all that BS on how to fill it up with tranny fluid.
To clarify what Spoolin (Chris) did, you had to send in your Valve Body like you have to do with IPT. He modifies it and sends it back (like IPT). Chris gives you 3 aluminum accumulators with pins, I do not think IPT does that. The stock accmulators are plastic. IPT's price is over twice as much..

·
Registered
192 Posts
I'm hoping to be getting this shift kit mod soon. Hoping this mod along with drag radials will get my DC in the 13's without the S/C. Heres some vids of my truck after some mods i put on. Thanks to socal57chevy for info on my long tube headers with the front cat delete. also bolted on a injen cai, unichip, afe throttle body spacer, and duel super series 10 flowmaster with 2.5 piping from cats back.

Jeremy vs. Transam - YouTube

Toyota Tundra - YouTube

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #97 (Edited)
I'm hoping to be getting this shift kit mod soon. Hoping this mod along with drag radials will get my DC in the 13's without the S/C. Heres some vids of my truck after some mods i put on. Thanks to socal57chevy for info on my long tube headers with the front cat delete. also bolted on a injen cai, unichip, afe throttle body spacer, and duel super series 10 flowmaster with 2.5 piping from cats back.
14.29ET is pretty good! The shift kit is suppose to knock off .3 (with a S/C!).. so adding DRs on a N/A, you'll most likely break into the 13s!
You hardly had any wheel spin on your street tires, what were your nannies set on and how did you launch? (ie, power brake and hold the RPMs to what#?)
Also about the Unichip, what exactly has that done for you? Did you get that custom tuned? I had one and it totally messed up my track times so I sold it..:eek:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Just had my Trac Control off and launch it at about 1200rpm anything higher and the truck just broke loose. Also had my street tire st at 23psi. As for the unichip i didnt unplug it at the track to see any change in ET. i havent found anyone around here to do a custom tune on the unichip. but for now the truck runs awesome. keep 93 oct in it. With wheel spin i was hitting mid 15's. enough to piss you off when you spent some money on the bolt ons i bought. hoping by end of next month or mid november to get shift kit and drag radials. i will do a run with the unichip plugged in and then one without to see if there was a change in ET.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Thanks. It was pretty hot that night. The Temp gauge in the dash said 88. Want to go on a night that is about 60. Just trying to get the truck into the 13's before i make the leap to the S/C. Supercharged, how does your trans hold up? What add ons have you made to not blow your clucths out?

81 - 100 of 215 Posts