Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys

I got a 2012 Ex Cab 2WD with 5.7L

Buddy is selling me his toy hauler and i have to pick it up TODAY as in within a few hours.

I ordered the brake controller and airbag kit, but it wont be here until Monday!

Its a 23ft Sandpiper that weighs 6100+/-.

It will be empty, and almost dry but not completely.

I only have to tow it about 30 miles or so to my house. Mostly freeway.

Am i asking for trouble trying to tow this before i get the bags and controller installed? Friend is heading out of town at 5pm for 3weeks and i'd really like to grab it now.

Input? Advice?

Thanks a lot

· Premium Member
11,775 Posts
I would not tow it without the brake controller but I GUESS if you drive extremely carefully you might be alright for 30 miles. Most toy haulers are 5th wheels though, is that one/are you setup for that? If it's not a 5th wheel, I hope you have a WD hitch?

· Premium Member
11,775 Posts
Tow package or not, you will see what I am talking about when you hook that thing up and watch your rear end sag. Even with the air bags you should be using a WD hitch, Toyota even calls that out in the manual (over 5000 pounds). Can't you just buy it and then pick it up while he is out of town?

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tow package or not, you will see what I am talking about when you hook that thing up and watch your rear end sag. Even with the air bags you should be using a WD hitch, Toyota even calls that out in the manual (over 5000 pounds). Can't you just buy it and then pick it up while he is out of town?
Gotcha. Thanks. I wish i could. Its a long story, but its gotta be moved ASAP and he gotta be there.

I might call around and see if friend with Dually can handle it.

Thanks

· Premium Member
11,775 Posts
Well, in a nutshell, you can hook that thing up without a brake, bags or WD hitch and chances are you will make it home but it's not smart and if you get in an accident you are completely f*cked because you are violating several different laws and chances are, your insurance company will refuse all claims if they get enough details.

· Registered
421 Posts
Yes it CAN be done. I don't advise it, but just make sure all your lights are working. Take it SLOW and give yourself TONS of room for braking. Stay off the highways.

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the advice guys.

I was able to limp it home at 55mph with minimal issues!

Was definitely sketchy as all heck though!!! :eek:

The bags, and brake controller will be here Monday AM and i wont be moving this thing at ALL until those are installed!!! :)

Also need to order those Tow mirrors ASAP, couldnt see SHEIIIT! :)

Do you think a LD hitch is needed with bags or are bags sufficent for about 7500lbs?

THanks

· Registered
421 Posts
A WD with airbags is your best bet.

The both prevent sagging and ride improvement with trailer.

I believe you'd be fine with just a WD hitch, but most people run bags with them.

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A wd hitch set up correctly and you will barely need the air bags.
Take the time to learn how to set up the wd hitch. It took me a while to get mine dialed in. Now my camper is a pleasure to tow.
Have fun!
Thanks man! Very cool rig ya got there!

Yeah, i am brand new to this tow stuff and pretty overwhelmed with some of it.

So many different brands, models, and weight rating LD hitches. :eek:

Which one are you running? Where did ya purchase?

Thanks

· Registered
52 Posts
Yikes, I towed this about 800 miles with a stock hitch and a 4.6L engine. Didn't feel safe, but it got the job done. Won't be doing that again...... The trailer with boat was easily over 7500#s. I even had 6 peeps in the cab and a bed loaded with camping gear. I was white knuckling it the whole way, and I realized the need for tow mirrors. Definitely a leaning experience. Vehicle Transport Car Sky Luxury vehicle

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

· Registered
467 Posts
I have the Reese dual cam wdh. The place that I bought the camper from added that and the break controller as part of the purchase. The guy that installed it didn't set it up correctly, but I have it dialed in now where there is less than half an inch of squat when I'm all hooked up.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

· Registered
40 Posts
You won't have a problem with a one-time tow like that. I had my 7-pin pullout unexpectedly last week and could barely tell the trailer brakes weren't there, and my trailer is 28' and was loaded to camp. As long as there are no huge hills, or bad winds, you should be fine. Also, my truck doesn't drop more than an inch when I hitch up before the WD.

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You won't have a problem with a one-time tow like that. I had my 7-pin pullout unexpectedly last week and could barely tell the trailer brakes weren't there, and my trailer is 28' and was loaded to camp. As long as there are no huge hills, or bad winds, you should be fine. Also, my truck doesn't drop more than an inch when I hitch up before the WD.
I'm going to disagree with ya there! I made it home, but it was one of the sketchiest hours of my life! :eek:

· Premium Member
11,775 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys.

I was able to limp it home at 55mph with minimal issues!

Was definitely sketchy as all heck though!!! :eek:

The bags, and brake controller will be here Monday AM and i wont be moving this thing at ALL until those are installed!!! :)

Also need to order those Tow mirrors ASAP, couldnt see SHEIIIT! :)

Do you think a LD hitch is needed with bags or are bags sufficent for about 7500lbs?

THanks
Bags only lift the rear, a wd hitch redistributes weight to the front of the truck for handling and braking and is more important than bags. If you only get one it should be the hitch but both is better.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.