Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

161 - 166 of 166 Posts

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
ok, i'll start a little list and anyone can poke away with questions.

Part 1, the acronyms;
Star safety system includes five acronyms
ABS; 4 wheel (INDEPENDENTLY) controlled anti lock brakes. this is the baseline for safety systems. Ford, GM, and Dodge have a 2 channel or 3 channel system. moral of the story here is that NONE of the technology that they use on there trucks can work as well as toyota's because they dont start with the same base technology. i.e. the stabilitrak from GM, Ford's Advance Trac with Roll stablility control, and dodge's ESC or Electronic Stablility Control cant work as well.

EBD; Electronic Brakeforce Distribution, this means your truck can tell where the weight is at so the Brakes can be used to there maximum potential. this helps the vehicle to stop evenly so you dont nose dive when you hit the brakes or lose control of the trailer ect. ect. ect.

BA; Brake Assist, the simplest way to explain this is if you make a PANIC abrupt stab at the brake pedal it will give you 100% of the braking potential so that if you subconsiously start to lift your foot to pump the brake or lets say an 80 year old is driving and cant apply as much foot pressure as you and i you could still stop the vehicle with its full potential

VSC; Vehicle Stablility Control uses the steering angle sensor, and the "Yaw" or "gyro" sensor to determine whether the vehicle is on its intended path or not. if you start to lose control it cant use the "independently" controlled ABS to put you back on course

TRAC; and Traction control system. This system in the "normal" mode which is how your tundra starts up. this system when wheel slip is detected it will first retard the throttle, then it will utilize again the indepedently controlled ABS slow the wheel thats slipping which will force the power to go to the opposite wheel that has more traction.

this ends the star safety system
AUTO LSD; when engaged where the light shows on your dash the ECTS-i will no longer interupt your throttle, it will just become really aggressive in slowing the spinning wheel to force power to the opposing wheel.

ATRAC; Active Traction Control, in a nutshell this system is only engaged when your in 4x4 and basically uses the AUTO LSD on the front axle as well as the back, so effectively you could lift the tundra up on one front tire and it could still move itself with only one tire on the ground!!

ECTS-i; Electronically Controlled Throttle System - with intelligence. This system is very complicated and will control how much air/fuel will get to the engine, it effectively can think based on the input of your foot, the load on the truck and the speed to effectively move the vehicle in the most efficient manner for the given moment. The intelligence part means that it can "learn" your general driving habits to be as efficient as it could possibly be or if you kick the throttle again and again it will react to make the truck faster, yes i said it will react to set your air, fuel and timing for harder acceleration so it can effectively make itself faster if you keep driving that way. also, you may notice right before your truck shifts theres a slight blip in the throttle. this is the engine retarding the timing and cutting throttle so that when it shifts it doesnt destroy the clutch packs in the transmission. this also adds to the more "linear" feel to the truck so you dont get JOLTED everytime the trans shifts.

ECT-i; Electronically Controlled Transmission - with intelligence, ok same premise as the ECTS-i but it controls the transmission. Ever notice that the truck will downshift or hold onto a gear as you decend a hill or grade? it knows from your throttle or brake input that you didnt want to go faster so it will downshift or maintain a gear to help control your speed. the transmission if you race the truck constantly will actually learn to shift more abruptly and crisply to keep you from damaging the clutch packs in the trans!!!

ok i gotta take a break now but more to come ;)

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am a member of both forums because I have leased Tundra for the past 10 years and have recently purchased my first Ford. Both forums have their share of "know-it-alls" who are completely anti "the other vehicle". However, both forums have a group of people who are mature enough to discuss the positives and negatives of either vehicle. It is from these people where I am able to obtain the best information, particularly information regarding the things that need attention on either truck. Questions like what started this thread are good because one can obtain opinions from a cross-section of people and decide for themselves what they want.....and then there is a small group who like to "rant". If that is how one likes to behave, that's fine. I like to live in the positive zone, so I usually skip past those posts to something less biased.

·
"Resident Liberal"
12,231 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Hemi,

Very nice man, keep it coming!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #166 (Edited)
Here's some updates. Added the Steelcraft polished step bars, remote start/alarm combo, tinted the from two rollups and the windshield, debadged the whole truck, five piece 3M paint protection film, bought the digital fit Weathertech's, and just installed a Clarion VX400 w/ aftermarket backup cam. I can see this truck is going to cost me some money...

Third pic is my "parking brake" for the video bypass.

Attachments

161 - 166 of 166 Posts