Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always noticed that my oil pressure gauge stays a little below the middle point once warmed up. Is this normal? It seems almost low to me. Where does your oil pressure stay at in all of your Tundras? I have a '16, so it's the 5.7L 3urfe.

·
Registered
964 Posts
That's normal - at least that's how it has always been on mine. When cold, the oil pressure will sit at about 2/3 for a bit then drop to just below half. This is expected since the oil is thicker when cold which creates more pressure as the thicker oil is more resistant to flow. Also, when the revs are up, such as when pulling a hill with a trailer, the pressure will go to just above half for a bit since the pump is trying to flow much more oil through the same size oil passageways. Such is how volume and pressure behave in a fluid system.

The gauge, however, is buffered like the gas gauge and temperature gauge so it doesn't bump and blip around with every little thing, so you are seeing data that is a few seconds old. This isn't a big deal. The only time I would be concerned with the oil pressure is if it was reading zero or at maximum - both of which would indicate that the motor is starving for oil. I guess I would also be worried if the pressure was really low when revs are really high, but you would probably see zero pressure at idle since this would mean that either the oil was WAY too thin, the bearings were worn out, or your pump is bad.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.