Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dis the install into the replacement dash piece in my 14. After putting it in i noticed it is not 100 percent parallel to the road. Maybe off by 5 degree or so. I would not me an easy fix. Do yall think this will cause an issue? Thanks

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I know its a pain in the rear, but in that particular offset, yes it will. I found the pendulum had a tendency to hang up a bit on mine, when I installed it with a similar offset. if it was offset the other direction, it would be a non issue. The angle yours is on, the pendulum seems to hang up very easily. But try it to be sure if it is a big pain to adjust it. just found on mine the brakes were coming on very weak and inconsistant till I straightened it out.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I actually did some "ruff" checking with a compass and it seemed to been dead parrallel but will do some checkn as soon as the trailer gets in. Just a tandem 16' utility but will see how it works out. Thanks

I know its a pain in the rear, but in that particular offset, yes it will. I found the pendulum had a tendency to hang up a bit on mine, when I installed it with a similar offset. if it was offset the other direction, it would be a non issue. The angle yours is on, the pendulum seems to hang up very easily. But try it to be sure if it is a big pain to adjust it. just found on mine the brakes were coming on very weak and inconsistant till I straightened it out.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Enlighten me on why the placement of the controller matters?
Found it in the instructions.

Automatic Leveling of the Sensor
The P3 will automatically acquire the proper level
setting. It will also automatically adjust as you travel
up or down hills.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
It will also automatically adjust as you travel
up or down hills.
Yeah, it doesn't do that very well. You have to pay close attention to when/how you brake on hills.

I find getting in and out of the brakes helps keep the sensor adjusted. As in, if you have light pressure on the brakes (in turn the controller sees power on the activate lead) it stops adjusting and simply applies braking force based on the latest sensor calibration and inputs. If you crest a hill with light braking, and then keep the brakes applied, the trailer starts braking hard (truck now pointed down a hill, swinging the sensor forward, simulating a head brake).

Mine corrects right away after getting out of the brakes, then lightly getting back into them. I also use engine braking in "S" mode every time/all the time.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Yeah, it doesn't do that very well. You have to pay close attention to when/how you brake on hills.

I find getting in and out of the brakes helps keep the sensor adjusted. As in, if you have light pressure on the brakes (in turn the controller sees power on the activate lead) it stops adjusting and simply applies braking force based on the latest sensor calibration and inputs. If you crest a hill with light braking, and then keep the brakes applied, the trailer starts braking hard (truck now pointed down a hill, swinging the sensor forward, simulating a head brake).

Mine corrects right away after getting out of the brakes, then lightly getting back into them. I also use engine braking in "S" mode every time/all the time.
Thanks for letting me know, would you say the placement is crucial? Knowing what you do now?

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Thanks for letting me know, would you say the placement is crucial? Knowing what you do now?
YEs, placement is important. Keeping its lateral lines parallel to the road is key. The sensor is influenced by inertia. The most important factor is scrubbing excess speed before you crest a hill. That way you can get out of the brakes initially, use engine braking, and save the binders for when you really need them.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

With your experience Do you foresee me having issues with how mine is set? Sounds like its going to have issues any way you put it

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
With your experience Do you foresee me having issues with how mine is set? Sounds like its going to have issues any way you put it
No, I think your setup is good. Just hook up your trailer empty and drive around. Set your boot to minimum (B1 if I remember right). Then load it up and monitor its reaction.

Your mounting spot looks good, so long as it is as lined up with the road as possible.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, I think your setup is good. Just hook up your trailer empty and drive around. Set your boot to minimum (B1 if I remember right). Then load it up and monitor its reaction.

Your mounting spot looks good, so long as it is as lined up with the road as possible.
Cool thanks. Yeah its within a couple degrees of being straight on

1 - 11 of 11 Posts