Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you provide a parts breakdown as far as what percentage of parts are USA, as well as what percentage and what country the rest are sourced from?

Also, is sourcing American parts allowing the same reliability as using parts from Japan? I appreciate Toyota using American parts, but I question if they are always of the same quality as the Japanese parts?

I had a 1994 sr5 pickup and doing online research, the American made pickups from those body style pickups have had far more issues than the ones made in Japan.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Jedi Mind Meld....
I've been thinking about this question for a few months now.

My opinion is the Japanese parts and manufacturing of are higher quality. The first generation Tundra used the same engine found in the Land Cruiser and LX470. This is not the case for the second and third generation Tundra. Here's a link to a site that lists the parts content for vehicles:

Part 583 American Automobile Labeling Act (AALA) Reports | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

You will now find that the Tundra does not share the same engine as Land Cruiser or LX570. The Tundra engine is mostly US and some JP whereas the LC and LX engine is JP only. Even though the engine model is the same, the engines are made in different countries.

What does this mean or what can be inferred? Well, before we answer that question, let's ask another. Have the current LX570 and Land Cruiser engines had the same problems as the Tundra's? It's known that the Tundra has experienced AIP failures and Cam Shaft Tower Oil Leak. Both of which are a major drag, however, it is important to note that Toyota has backed the cam tower leak owners with an extended warranty, including myself.

I haven't been able to find a case of a Land Cruiser or LX570 having either of these problems. I could be wrong, but if someone has, please share it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts