Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Questions on oiling and wiping down frame

I have a '16 Tundra and noticed a decent bit of frame weld and surface rust last winter. I ended up cleaning the frame off well and applying fluid film. Fluid film worked pretty well, but since its summer and dusty, the trucks undercarriage was collecting huge amounts of dirt and debris from the film. I went ahead and degreased and cleaned off the frame, and now its near spotless. I want to wipe the frame down again with an oily rag to prevent any other rust and to give it the shine it had from the factory. So I was wondering what all you guys and girls used on your frames for a quick wipe down and shine.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I would treat the rust, wire brush it, hit it with some rust converter then give it a spray with some matte black. Go over the whole thing with a couple layers of clear gloss (except the exhaust, for that use BBQ paint). Since you are already mentally prepared to manually go over the entire frame then a proper fix is the best you can do.
For sprays I have had luck with various types and places, winters here eat vehicles if you let them. I generally stay away from heavy waxes or coatings, especially under the engine where the frame is boxed, the last thing you want is the drain holes getting plugged with coating. Krown works well, kepy my Buick alive, but my body guy recommends against it for anything with previous work done on it, according to him Krown eats body filler and repaired fenders have been known to disappear. Used motor oil is also a no-no, not only is it carcinogenic but the sulphur from the fuel (diesel more so then gas) can create an acidic reaction. What I have used myself in the past and seems to work is AW46 hydraulic oil. An old timer who does restorations suggested the technique, degrease the truck, let it dry, go for a long drive down the dustiest road you can find, hose the underside down with oil and then go back down that road again. The dry dust gets everywhere, the oil lands on it and the dust sucks it up like a sponge, the 2nd round of dust thickens the layer and keeps it from splashing off. Makes the underside of the truck look about as attractive as a porta-potty in the middle of July but the concept is sound and I have access to lots of hydraulic oil.

Pretty much anything is better than nothing and if you are willing to do it that is the right attitude to have, you can fix dents and bad body panels but once frame rust starts you have to stop it quick, the engines last forever, it is up to us to try to make the rest of the truck do the same.

Reactions: Jswai144
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.