Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am heading down to the OBX soon and I have some questions on beach driving. I have never driven on the beach before.

1. What pressure do you air down to?
2. What do you use to air down? Do you simply hold your fingers on the release valve for a minute or so on each tire?
3. Do you air down prior to driving in the sand or stop shortly after you get on the sand?
4. How soon after you return to the pavement do you need to air back up?

Do I really have to air down if I am only going to spend about a total of 2 hours in a week driving on the sand? I have a 2010 crewmax rock warrior.

Thanks for the help!

·
Premium Member
603 Posts
I go to 12-10psi on my general grabbers...other tires might be best at 15psi...and yes just hold your finger on it to release the air.

I air out right when I hit sand.

I have driven almost 10 miles on 10psi.

If worst comes to worst drive on the sand with your normal PSI and see...if you start spinning tires air it down...if you can make it on the sand for what your doing with out airing down then your're good to go.

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
I go to 12-10psi on my general grabbers...other tires might be best at 15psi...and yes just hold your finger on it to release the air.

I air out right when I hit sand.

I have driven almost 10 miles on 10psi.

If worst comes to worst drive on the sand with your normal PSI and see...if you start spinning tires air it down...if you can make it on the sand for what your doing with out airing down then your're good to go.
what he said

·
Registered
381 Posts
I live in NJ and I am on the beach every weekend. I didnt air down when i had stock tires ( i have a rock warrior as well) and now that i have the TOYO MTs i still dont air down. Some guys that i go with do but the truck does fine with the air pressure being left alone. Depends on how heavy your foot is and how you drive the soft sand. Turning is the biggest problem for most cause one you lose momentum you get stuck if the sand is really soft. Id say its up to you, try not airing down and see what happens. Good Luck :) and be safe

Always have these just in case:
Strap
Shovel
2' length of 2"x12" Pressure Treated wood to help get under tires
High Lift jack if you have one not a must tho

Reactions: Powertechn2

·
Registered
4,945 Posts
I'll air down to 20-15 at the most, I have 35" general red letters. I'd air down more if it wasn't such a long drive back to get air before my 2 hour drive home.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
This probably explains why I get stuck at least once every time I go to the beach...

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
I wouldn't... 15 miles at speed is hard on tires aired that low...

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
I go to assateague beach in maryland and air my trail grapplers/terra grapplers to 10psi. They are erated. I have driven 30 miles on the beach no problems, but I air up immediately when I get off. They have pumps at the exits.

Ive never gotten stuck, even pulled out a durango once. I also did a burnout and buried the rear tires up to the frame and the fronts pulled it out. We do about 30mph on the beach, I wouldnt go any faster.

Definitely bring a shovel, strap, board, and jack just in case.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
603 Posts
15 miles is kind of far but you could do about 5 miles on 15 psi. I drove about 10 miles just took it easy.

·
Premium Member
10,982 Posts
One night I got a lag bolt stuck in my tire and drove home 50 miles doing about 65-75 on the highway without even knowing the tire was flat. I didn't realize it until I pulled into my driveway and heard a rubbing noise. Got out and seen the tire completely deflated. I thought for sure I messed it up and I had just bought them a couple weeks prior. I took it over to the tire place the next morning, they checked it, patched it and said the tire was fine inside. I would have destroyed a P rated tire. E rated tires are a lot stronger than you think.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts