Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To drive on soft is it better to do it on 4h or 4l? I was reading the manual and according to it 4l is the way to go. I was doing some sand driving on 4h and nothing bad happens but I am trying to get more info to prevent damaging my transfer.
Thanks.

·
Registered
188 Posts
It depends on the actual terrain. Both can be ok but one may be more appropriate than the other. Are we talking snow, sand, mud? Sometimes you need wheelspin, other times it's better to crawl. In deep sand and mud momentum is your friend. Generally I would use high range for this but keep my transmission in 1 or 2. The thing you want to avoid is slipping your torque converter and generating a lot of heat. Slowly crawling up a Rocky hill in high range can do this... Better suited for low range. Hopefully this helps.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It depends on the actual terrain. Both can be ok but one may be more appropriate than the other. Are we talking snow, sand, mud? Sometimes you need wheelspin, other times it's better to crawl. In deep sand and mud momentum is your friend. Generally I would use high range for this but keep my transmission in 1 or 2. The thing you want to avoid is slipping your torque converter and generating a lot of heat. Slowly crawling up a Rocky hill in high range can do this... Better suited for low range. Hopefully this helps.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Sorry, soft sand.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I almost always use 4H in sand. I would use 4L in a tight turn or somewhere I needed to go really slow. If I can keep some speed I stick to 4H.

·
Registered
3 Posts
To drive on soft is it better to do it on 4h or 4l? I was reading the manual and according to it 4l is the way to go. I was doing some sand driving on 4h and nothing bad happens but I am trying to get more info to prevent damaging my transfer.
Thanks.
4h aired down best way to go.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts