Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know our tucks adjust to and learns our driving habits but on the way to the race this weekend I got 8 mpg pulling my 28ft travel trailer and bikes. On the way home I got 10 mpg and didn't drive it any differently. So I guess my question is, does our trucks learn our driving habits when we tow to give us the best performance and mpg etc?

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Not sure they learn anything in the way you think.

The MPG readout gives more accurate readings the more you drive it, as it averages all your previous trips.

Does the Tundra actually learn our habits and adjust engine management accordingly, I'm going to say that would be a cool idea, but not here yet.

On second thoughts I'm not sure I want my truck doing that. Having the wife thinking she can read my mind is more than enough ;)

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
Loaded with water vs. not loaded on way home?
Also, like JC said, elevation and wind changes can dramatically affect MPG, sometimes it may not FEEL any more windy but there is enough head wind or cross winds to make a significant difference. Pull up an elevation map of your route and see if overall the way back is more downhill and the way up is more uphill. When I drive from here to Phoenix the trip both ways seems relatively flat, however I get better mpg one way and an elevation chart shows me that it's not as flat as it appears when driving.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Loaded with water vs. not loaded on way home?
Also, like JC said, elevation and wind changes can dramatically affect MPG, sometimes it may not FEEL any more windy but there is enough head wind or cross winds to make a significant difference. Pull up an elevation map of your route and see if overall the way back is more downhill and the way up is more uphill. When I drive from here to Phoenix the trip both ways seems relatively flat, however I get better mpg one way and an elevation chart shows me that it's not as flat as it appears when driving.
It was all Louisiana flat driving but now that I think about it more, I believe that there was more wind on the way up there. I always wait until I get close to fill up my water tanks and I actually had more weight on the way home because the grey and black tanks where 3/4 full. So I guess it was the wind factor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts