Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 TRD double cab and am going to have the 3/1 lift installed this weekend. Along with the lift I want bigger tires. I am going w/ the 18" xd hoss rims but confused about tires. If I go w/ the 33" tires (275/75/18) it sounds like it is very close to stock and nothing on the truck will need to be recalibrated (albeit they may look too small per other forum members). I really want the 34" tires (295/70/18) though, will this require some sort of recallibration to my truck such as the speedometer? I may eventually tow a boat but for now the truck is just driven to and fro work on pavement. Thank you very much for some guidance on this - Billy

· Registered
8,147 Posts
According to the tire size calculator, 295/70/18 is 34.3 inches in diameter, whereas 275/75/18 is 34.2. In other words, height wise, they are about the same. Both will need speedometer calibrator.

Tire size varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. Nitto TG at 295/70/18 tends to be larger than 34.3 (more closer to 35).

I second JC's post. Go with 295.

Reactions: bwiener

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gotcha and I agree. For the 33's I meant 275/70/18 sorry about that. I guess I can just get Toyota service to recallibrate the speedo at my first 5,000 mile service when I bring her in there. No harm in waiting right? Or am I also adding miles due to the bigger tires? Thanks again for the help - billy

· Registered
8,147 Posts
Reactions: bwiener

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pulled the trigger...

getting installed on Saturday and will post pics. Going with the following;

3/1 lift
18" xd Hoss rims (black version)
295x70x18 Nitto terra grapplers

Thanks for the help - Billy

· Premium Member
1,938 Posts
I'm running a 305 65R18 which is shy of 34 inches. I have not recalibrated yet, but will in the near future. I had to bend the skid, remove the front flaps, and still rub in reverse at full lock to which I don't care. I like seeing my passengers jump a little.

· Registered
1,427 Posts
I guess I can just get Toyota service to recallibrate the speedo at my first 5,000 mile service when I bring her in there. No harm in waiting right?
No you cant. There is no way to calibrate your speedo/odo other than adding the hypertech in-line speedometer calibrator.

· Registered
1,427 Posts
According to the tire size calculator, 295/70/18 is 34.3 inches in diameter, whereas 275/75/18 is 34.2. In other words, height wise, they are about the same. Both will need speedometer calibrator.

Tire size varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. Nitto TG at 295/70/18 tends to be larger than 34.3 (more closer to 35).

I second JC's post. Go with 295.
The Nitto Terra Grappler in 295/70R18 is 34.41 x 11.77

· Registered
8,147 Posts
The Nitto Terra Grappler in 295/70R18 is 34.41 x 11.77
My bad. I should've realized Terra Grappler and Trail Grappler have same acronym. I meant Trail Grappler.

· Premium Member
88 Posts
I'm running a 305 65R18 which is shy of 34 inches. I have not recalibrated yet, but will in the near future. I had to bend the skid, remove the front flaps, and still rub in reverse at full lock to which I don't care. I like seeing my passengers jump a little.
Tundergas...I removed the front flaps yesterday and still rubbed on the wheel well liners. This am I did the wheel well liner mod posted in a thread. I have no rubbing now at full lock fwd or rev...

· Registered
1,427 Posts
My bad. I should've realized Terra Grappler and Trail Grappler have same acronym. I meant Trail Grappler.
In that case 34.57 x 11.73

· Registered
1,206 Posts
Which lift did you go with? Looking forward to the pics!

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got her all setup!

Well, got the lift, rims and tires installed Saturday morning and am loving the Tundra even more now. Thank you to everyone who helped me with this purchase, very very happy with the outcome!!!!!!!

Attachments

· Registered
169 Posts
Nice! have you had to do any mods to the mud flaps, or inner wheel well liners? Which offset did you get on the Hoss? I see there are different offsets for that wheel.

Thanks!

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So far the only mod was removing the front mud flaps. I am pretty sure the rims are +30 off set. Rims barely jut out past the fender. That is how I asked them to set it for me. Truck loks 10x better in person than my pic if you can imagine that! Hope this helps- Billy

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.