Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to purchase running boards that are made from cold rolled steel sheets and powder coated black.

I live in Canada. Wlll these rust quickly? I know the steel is quite prone to rust. Just wondering how much protection the textured powder coat will offer?

Should I just stick to aluminum boards?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Powder coating is better than paint but aluminum will corrode more slowly. Want corrosion free you need to go to stainless steel.

It takes oxygen in the air in contract with bare metal to have corrosion with running boards and so I go with either chrome plated or a basic black that I can easily touch up if there are any scratches. Fingernail polish is a lacquer paint and I will use the clear version to touch up scratches on my cars and trucks as it is quick to do and lasts very well.

Problem in areas with road salt is vehicle owners not washing off the salt off their vehicles but leaving it on through the winter. If I lived where that was a problem I would have a hot water hose bib on the side of my house so I could use hot water to periodically rinse off my vehicles. An ounce of prevention as the saying goes....

·
Registered
177 Posts
Powder coating is better than paint but aluminum will corrode more slowly. Want corrosion free you need to go to stainless steel.

It takes oxygen in the air in contract with bare metal to have corrosion with running boards and so I go with either chrome plated or a basic black that I can easily touch up if there are any scratches. Fingernail polish is a lacquer paint and I will use the clear version to touch up scratches on my cars and trucks as it is quick to do and lasts very well.

Problem in areas with road salt is vehicle owners not washing off the salt off their vehicles but leaving it on through the winter. If I lived where that was a problem I would have a hot water hose bib on the side of my house so I could use hot water to periodically rinse off my vehicles. An ounce of prevention as the saying goes....
That's a good thought but the ice buildup would become a bigger issue than the one you're trying to prevent.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Better question , why running boards ( unless the truck is lifted like 6" and 35's )!

They all rust

Running boards , Bushwacker plastic fender flairs with the fake chrome bolts , along with chrome Bull Bar on the front ...... These are all in the same league of hidiuos

·
Registered
154 Posts
My truck has its door sill 24 inches above the ground and adding the running boards which are 18 inches above the ground I not only protect the sides of my truck I also protect myself from groin pulls.

I have had nerf bars and full running boards and never had a problem with rust. I touch up any scratches that have gotten past the primer and so there is no bare metal to air and oxygen contact and so no corrosion with aluminum and no rust with steel or stainless steel.

It comes down to whether or not one cares to properly maintain their truck or would rather keep buying a new one at shorter intervals. Even if I was rich the waste of letting a vehicle be damaged from neglect is not something I would ever do. But to each his own - obviously.

·
Registered
177 Posts
@24hrsparky to each his own, what you don’t like or think is cool someone else may. I agree when I look at some setups I say why but I’m sure people look at mine and may say the same. If we all had the same truck this site would be useless.

·
He Has Risen!
6,318 Posts
Problem in areas with road salt is vehicle owners not washing off the salt off their vehicles but leaving it on through the winter. If I lived where that was a problem I would have a hot water hose bib on the side of my house so I could use hot water to periodically rinse off my vehicles...
You probably wouldn't. Because your driveway would ice over and then you would have to salt your driveway.
And not everyone has a heated garage with a floor drain and enough room to not blast everything else in the garage with hot, dirty, salty water,.....even if they did have heat and a drain.
Most people who wash their car in cold climates, do so at a carwash. But it has to be a day when the temps are above freezing so doors and locks don't freeze up. Carwashes are packed on days like that. And people don't always have time to wait in line for an hour.
So, it's easy to be condescending and talk like you're smarter/better than everyone all the time(which, I notice you do all the time) but you don't always know what you're talking about.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I had chrome plated nerf bars on my first gen Tundra. They rusted through from the inside out after 10 years. I replaced those with stainless.

My 2015 has stainless nerf bars. I was tempted to go with powder coated to avoid the shiny stainless, but the rust issue pushed me toward stainless. We have a lot of salt in the winter around here.

·
Registered
13,521 Posts
I had the Yota stainless steps on my 2010, they held up well. The brackets that mount them did start to rust, but I also treat my truck with fluid film every fall so they still weren't bad or unsightly, just a few spots from rock chips that were red.

I also have the stainless yota steps on my 2017, and haven't had an issue, and coat the brackets with a little extra fluid film now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts