Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not mechanically inclined so it is very easy for a shop to take advantage of me. I want to increase performance a bit and add some sound to my tundra. At the local 4 wheel shop they told me do not get a chip as the gains are minimal on tundras. They said do the cold Air-intake and exhaust pipes. They recommended magna flows. I read chips and cold air intakes both work and don't. People seem split on whether or not they add value. I cannot afford the supercharger as much as I would love it so this is my route. Will an intake and exhaust help or am I wasting money?
I appreciate in advance all of your expert opinions.
My tundra is an 2012 5.7.

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
you already have a very good CAI from the factory, don't waste your money on a new one. If you get a SC later, it'll come with the TRD CAI anyway. Forget the chip idea...it's a no starter for the Tundra. Exhausts are tricky as you may lose a bit of power in the low end but gain in the high. The 4 most popular exhausts will be Keith's (dirtydeeds) BAMuffler, TRD Duals, Corsa, and Borlas. All of those will make your truck sound like the V8 it is. There are gobs of video clips for all but strongly suggest you check out Keith's BAMuffler. He even has a new budget system that sounds awesome. He can customize any of them for your specific needs/wants. Send him a private message and he'll take as much time as you need to help you figure out what you want to do.

Here's his profile.
http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/members/30488-dirtydeeds.html

G

·
The intakes don't do a whole lot for our trucks, since Toyota actually made an efficient intake. But the motor will breathe slightly better with one. Most common good reviews I have read are for the Volant CAI. The intakes will make the motor louder, hence it breathing better. For exhaust I have magnaflow on my truck. I am very happy with it, it sounds great and is set up the way I want it. But contact Keith, he is a member on here, dirtydeeds, he produces BAMufflers. They are tuned to our trucks and gets the best performance from what I have been able to tell.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
256 Posts
Without a doubt the best bang for the buck is a super charger plus they will pass emissions in any state.
Pricey, yes, but nothing else can come close to matching the gains for the money plus it has a factory warranty.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks rytesyde & tundra tim. I will reach out to dirty deeds.
I would love a supercharger snowwolfe but that is 6 grand or more that I just don't have. I also was told you have to run premium gas through them and that adds even more money to it!
I appreciate everyones help. This is exactly the information I needed. Like I said in my original post I am not mechanically inclined so if I go with a setup from dirty deeds can a shop install it cheaply?

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
He can set you up with a complete cat-back system that is completely bolt on. If you have a socket wrench you can do it yourself without jacking the truck up. Any shop should install it for you as we'll at minimal cost

1 - 9 of 9 Posts