Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious about what happens after installing a supercharger. Does that lead to more mods to be able to handle the increase in torque and speed?
1) Better suspension to handle the speed at the track?
2) Better wheels and tires to rated to handle all that speed?
3) Does your insurance go up?
4) what about the governor and all the nannies?
5) what does the SC do to your gas mileage?
6) How would all the new torque do to off road handling?
7) Did you need new exhaust system?

Just curious.....I would love to have a SC but wanted to know if it led to a whole bunch of other mods to replace the stock equipment to be able to handle all the new speed and torque.....and would all the new torque hurt off roading?

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
1) I have a swaybar, had it prior to S/C. At the end of the day, its a truck.
2) What kinda speed you talking about...
3) If you tell them, probably.
4) I have a 2010, installed the S/C in 2011 - don't have a governor anymore that I've found - been around 140+.
5) same gas mileage - 11-12.5 mpg around town.
6) don't go off roading
7) no, but doesn't hurt.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1) I have a swaybar, had it prior to S/C. At the end of the day, its a truck.
2) What kinda speed you talking about...
3) If you tell them, probably.
4) I have a 2010, installed the S/C in 2011 - don't have a governor anymore that I've found - been around 140+.
5) same gas mileage - 11-12.5 mpg around town.
6) don't go off roading
7) no, but doesn't hurt.
But if you don't tell your insurance....they could always deny a claim based on a performance mod that could void your insurance.
Doesn't the SC allow you to go upwards of 150? Stocks tires can't handle that speed especially off road tires.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Speed limiter with sc install earlyer than 2012 was raised from a stock 110 to 125mph.

But some time in 2012 toyota removed the raising of the speed limiter in the supercharger reflash.

I guess it was because of liability issues due to the stock tire speed rating.

So if the dealer you go to for the reflash uses the latest toyota software you will retain the stock speed limit which is 110-115mph.

·
Cereal Killer
20,307 Posts
I remember a brief period of limiter removal (or perhaps raising it way up) when the supercharger calibrations first came out.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I remember a brief period of limiter removal (or perhaps raising it way up) when the supercharger calibrations first came out.

I remember that also !

When I had my sc installed in 2010 I also thought the speed limiter was going to be removed, but found out the day I picked it up that it was just raised up from 110 to 125:mad:

A buddy of mine had his done in 2011 and the limiter was 125.

He took his in for some trans shifting issues last month and they told him that they had to update his programing with a reflash.

When he got the truck back the trans was still screwing up and now his speed limiter was back to 110:eek:

When he questioned them about it they said that it must be part of the new programing.

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
So I had mine installed on 02/11/2011...and I've been faster than 125.
If you have longer tires you can go past the speed limit on a GPS but the speedometer would still show 125.

Or, Your dealer might not have flashed the latest tune at the time.

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Thats not fare mine is limited to 115mph

·
Registered
86 Posts
It seems like their just leaving the speed limiter set to what ever it was stock on the new s/c reflash.

From what Ive seen it seems the 4.30 geared trucks shut off at 110mph and the 4.10 gear shuts down at 115mph.

Im not sure if all the trucks are that way but that is what Ive seen for the most part.

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
It seems like their just leaving the speed limiter set to what ever it was stock on the new s/c reflash.

From what Ive seen it seems the 4.30 geared trucks shut off at 110mph and the 4.10 gear shuts down at 115mph.

Im not sure if all the trucks are that way but that is what Ive seen for the most part.
My truck is governed all the way up to 122 on the scanguage with 4.10 gears.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I was a bit perplexed so I had to try it, 125 with 4:30s I guess I'm remembering before s/c.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
i think the official cut off is 129mph indicated with the 2nd trd flash.the size of tires and gear ratio (4.88)will change the real speed on gps however. 4.10 or 4.30 is taken into account by ecm when flashed so real speed is not influenced.
the original trd flash did remove the speed limiter but it had cold running issues hence the 2nd flash.
did not keep up since so not sure if trd isued a 3rd flash to lower it back down to 110.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Most of the questions have been answered but....

Do NOT drive your truck +140....even 130 mph. The drive line will come apart....badly. If you intend on driving this speed upgrade your drive line and thats no joke.

~JH

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
I drove up to 144 once in Oregon. Did 147 on the I-5 in Cali, on my way to Florida. Drive line still intact but after reading this and getting a few warnings from others I won't do it again without a better drive line. Do you know of anyone who could build a custom one?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts