Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a few questions for you guys that have done it already. I just had my chrome bumpers done with Line-X premium. Now I am looking at getting my Bushwacker flares done. I would assume it is best to have them Line-X’d so that it is the same texture for matching? Also, does the rubber seal fit back onto the flare easily after they are coated? Any issues with your flares such as warpage (I saw an old post last night but it was quite a few years old). Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump....still looking at getting this done.

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
Rubber trim will not go back on.?the flares will need to be encased as Linex does not stick well to plastic . This will make the flare to thick for the trim. Should not warp if sprayed correctly. Slow light coats.

Thanks
Josh
Svcustoms.com

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rubber trim will not go back on.?the flares will need to be encased as Linex does not stick well to plastic . This will make the flare to thick for the trim. Should not warp if sprayed correctly. Slow light coats.

Thanks
Josh
Svcustoms.com
Is there a different seal that is used for the install after the Line-X?

·
Registered
42 Posts
my preference would be to color match the flairs so in your case (Red). Just a preference of course and that way there you know there can't be any issues with warping or the gasket not fitting back on.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We do not use a gasket, but there may be something out there.

Thanks
Josh
Svcustoms.com
You install Line-X'd flares against the paint without a gasket?? :eek:

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
From the picture the original poster has already installed the fender flares. There is a little rubber gasket running between each fender and the bodywork. I think he's asking if you can reuse that rubber gasket or have to get a new set and if spraying with a line ex or coating would effect installation.

·
Premium Member
4,192 Posts
I think he's asking if you can reuse that rubber gasket or have to get a new set and if spraying with a line ex or coating would effect installation.
I'm thinking they don't reuse the gasket and the Line X is too thick for the gasket to be reused.

We do not use a gasket, but there may be something out there.

Rubber trim will not go back on. The flares will need to be encased as Linex does not stick well to plastic . This will make the flare to thick for the trim.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes....that is the question...If I Line-X the flares what would I use before reinstalling them since the original seal will not fit.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The gasket ruins the paint anyway, so what's the difference?
I saw a mod for a "paint saver" behind the flares. What part of Montana? I was stationed in Great Falls for 5 years. I loved it up there...beautiful state.

·
Premium Member
4,192 Posts
Some clear bra on the fenders might work. The previous owner put flares on mine and I can't take them off because there are deep scratches in the clear that won't buff out.

I'm in Great Falls. It's not a bad place if you can deal with the wind

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
I'm thinking they don't reuse the gasket and the Line X is too thick for the gasket to be reused.
I believe I purchased my flaires from SV custom years ago. It came with a gasket so i'm curious the comment 'We do not use a gasket' I ended up not installing mine after many users commented how it left rub marks in the paint. If in time my fenders get scratched up then i'll throw them on.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Some clear bra on the fenders might work. The previous owner put flares on mine and I can't take them off because there are deep scratches in the clear that won't buff out.

I'm in Great Falls. It's not a bad place if you can deal with the wind

Ahhh yes...I remember the wind. I was there from 92-96 but could still probably find my way around...lol. They finally kick the high school kids off of Central Ave?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.