Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 62K miles on my '08DCLTD with no appreciable wear on the rotors or pads. Unbelievable! Every car or truck I have had since the '70s needed something around 30K or 40K miles. My Tundra rotors are ablolutely smooth with no ridge at all. I swear they could be put in a box and sold as new if there were some machining marks on them.

I do drive conservatively and rarely get on the brakes hard. I believe the transmission downshift feature saves the brakes.

Way to go Toyota!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Rotated the tires again at 72K miles and the brakes are still like new. A friend who also has a Tundra has about the same miles on his '08 told me his brakes are also in good shape. He drives agressively and we often joke about the difference in gas milage between his truck and mine...

I spoke with a contractor who has 130K on his Tundra and he just changed pads because he felt he should. His mechanic said that they were only 50% worn. I'm convinced that if you drive carefully and utilize the downshift features of the transmission, you can get tremendous milage out of your Tundra's brakes. This would explain why there are no other posts on this topic.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Do you tow or carry heavy loads with your truck? I imagine those that do not regularly add a lot of extra cargo should get significant time out of the brakes. I am glad to hear that Toyota has provided such high quality.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you tow or carry heavy loads with your truck? I imagine those that do not regularly add a lot of extra cargo should get significant time out of the brakes. I am glad to hear that Toyota has provided such high quality.
I do tow about 3000 miles per year primarily during the winter. The trailer has brakes so the truck actually gets some assistance with the inertia controller. I do need to replace the brakes on the trailer...it is 3 years old.

I can compare the Toyota brakes to my old diesel F250 which only lasted 40,000 miles before pads & rotors. Nice job Toyota.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Funny.. my rotors were warped when I got mine at 13k, 10 months ago... I now have 33k and the front pads are gone. I JUST lifted it about 3k miles ago too.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Funny.. my rotors were warped when I got mine at 13k, 10 months ago... I now have 33k and the front pads are gone. I JUST lifted it about 3k miles ago too.
I'm sure that driving habits play a major role in brake rotor and pad longevity. For many years I drove over 20 Chevy Luminas and Impalas that would develop warped rotors before the 36K mile point. They seemed to fail just before the warranty was up so it became routine to get them replaced for free. Chevy upgraded the rotors and the problem went away if you drove normally. My personal F250 diesel that I drove very carefully needed new rotors and pads at 45K miles. When I bought my '08 Tundra I wanted to see how long I could drive without brake work. The auto-downshift feature of the 6-speed helps me stay off the brakes and I frequently downshift the console stick manually when slowing for tolls or if I see a red light down the road. I do not tow alot but I adjust my trailer brake controller to do most of the work when stopping. This all helps stretch the life of my brakes. I'm very happy that this brake system needs no work...and I am ready to trade for another Tundra. The bottom line is that I will have over 80K miles on this truck without spending one dime on repairs. Toyota did the front diff and some minor fixes under warranty. Synthetic oils and grease, air, cabin air and oil filters are the only expenses for this truck. You can't beat that. The AVERAGE mpg including winter towing, some off-road hunting but mostly highway driving is 18.2 mpg for all 75K miles to date. 20mpg is common during the summer.:):) That is why I'm trading for a similar '10 Tundra.

·
Registered
421 Posts
i have a 09 dblcab and i just had to change my breaks at 20k. i do drive very aggressively thou and i will tell you that changeing breaks on a 4 piston caliper thats heavy as hell is a pain in the ass.

·
Registered
13,349 Posts
I have 62K miles on my '08DCLTD with no appreciable wear on the rotors or pads. Unbelievable! Every car or truck I have had since the '70s needed something around 30K or 40K miles. My Tundra rotors are ablolutely smooth with no ridge at all. I swear they could be put in a box and sold as new if there were some machining marks on them.

I do drive conservatively and rarely get on the brakes hard. I believe the transmission downshift feature saves the brakes.

Way to go Toyota!
Concur..... I only tow my 18.5ft boat. I have 84,000 miles with only 20% on the rear and 50% on the front. I just bought a set of Wagner Thermo Quiet Ceramic. It features Wagner's Edge, Laser Shaped Friction. It was the best brake pads available at Pep Boys. Got a $30 rebate also.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Concur..... I only tow my 18.5ft boat. I have 84,000 miles with only 20% on the rear and 50% on the front. I just bought a set of Wagner Thermo Quiet Ceramic. It features Wagner's Edge, Laser Shaped Friction. It was the best brake pads available at Pep Boys. Got a $30 rebate also.
funny thing is i also got those exact same pads. i used to work at a kragen auto parts so i got alot of first hand on good pads and those are definatly up there

·
Registered
120 Posts
I went to the the stealership yesterday to get the new gas pedal put in. While they had my truck there they advised me that my brakes were at about 20%. I'm about to hit 60K. So i'll probably change them out soon. Are OEM pads required or can aftermarket pads be put in? The dealership wants about 300 just for the front brakes.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My 07 Crew Max with about 65K has a shimmy when lightly on the front brakes. But, only some times and it is hard to even explain when. It has been doing this since about 10k and of course it doesnt do it when go the dealership. I used to be a tech at a Jeep dealer and I have never seen anything like this before. I started complaining to my Brother (who also owns a tundra) about it said he had the same problem. It does seem to be worse when driving in the mountains. And, I am not a brake dragger at all.
Anyone else?

·
Registered
421 Posts
My 07 Crew Max with about 65K has a shimmy when lightly on the front brakes. But, only some times and it is hard to even explain when. It has been doing this since about 10k and of course it doesnt do it when go the dealership. I used to be a tech at a Jeep dealer and I have never seen anything like this before. I started complaining to my Brother (who also owns a tundra) about it said he had the same problem. It does seem to be worse when driving in the mountains. And, I am not a brake dragger at all.
Anyone else?
what kind of a shimmy is it? like is it your steering wheel or the pedal?

·
Registered
13,349 Posts
With 100,658 miles on the truck I'm still on original pads. Haven't put on the Wagner pads. Here is some pics. Looks like 40-50% of the pad left.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Driving conditions are the factor not discussed. every 20,000-30,000 miles seems right in city stop and go according to dealer. For me the rear pads are at 8 and front pads were at 6. I had rotors cut and new pads at dealer for fronts at 40,000 miles and 200 buck later due to steering wheel shimmy which was caused by rotor warping to a degree.

I will see how these last on mt 07. I don't think TOYOTA changed rotor from 07 to 08?

Same driving habits in my previous 99 F150, I cut fronts with new pads at 70,000 miles the first time then at 140,000 second and rotors replaced at 180-190,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
You guys must be some eassyyyy drivers....

I've gone through 2 sets of stock front rotors, both were warped.

I just leveled my truck and threw 295/60/20's on it so I figured I'd go ahead and upgrade the brakes. Got a set of new front rotors from R1 Concepts, cross drilled & slotted and I put TRD pads all around.

Only been on for about 4 days now but I already love them. Major difference in braking ability.

Once I've had them on for a little longer I'll update again.

·
Registered
52 Posts
At our shop we service a couple of Tundras.
i just changed the pads on an 06 with 65,000 miles on, its his first set and they still probably had another 3000 miles left on them but he asked me to change them anyway

i had the rotors machined just incase they were warped or anything but they looked pretty good to me.

We used Factory Toyota in the box pads.

his rear brakes had about 40% left on them which was unbelievable!

·
Registered
13,349 Posts
haha i like the difference between our rear brakes. i just changed mine at 38k and thank god i didnt wait any longer
I'm at 121,300 miles now and I did get a set of Wagner for the front also. Still haven't changed them yet. Rear at 25% and front are at 35%. Will be changing them soon to paint the rotors again and calipers.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts