Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put on a set of factory Platinum 20's with Dunlop tires and it feels like my truck has a loss of power now. I had the factory 18 inch alloys with Michelin tires. The truck feels doggy now and not as responsive. Has anyone had this problem or have any thoughts on this? Thanks Bill

·
Cereal Killer
20,307 Posts
Don't rely on seat-of-the-pants to measure your vehicle's performance. A dragstrip test or stopwatch will show any gain or loss. That said, you probably added some weight when you swapped to larger / wider tires and rims. Each pound added to a rolling part is like adding six pounds elsewhere on the truck.

·
Registered
530 Posts
More weight=longer brake distances, slower acceleration, compromised suspension performance.

If you want the truck to feel stock, your going to have to spend some money.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't figure it would feel any different since they are factory wheels and tires. I had a 2007 limited that came with the 20's stock and it felt like my 2010 did before I put these platinum wheels on it. This is bugging the s..t out of me. Other than put the ugly 18's back on it what can I do.

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
go with the light 17" rock warrior wheels

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Wouldn't the weight be relatively the same? Light factory wheels and less rubber? I doubt if you'd feel a difference unless the tires are quite a bit heavier.

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Registered
530 Posts
Wouldn't the weight be relatively the same? Light factory wheels and less rubber? I doubt if you'd feel a difference unless the tires are quite a bit heavier.
Nope. Even a few pounds per wheel adds up. Plus, the 20's push the weight outwards, creating more angular momentum to get the truck moving

·
Registered
263 Posts
it shouldnt be that noticeable.
I have to second this. Y'all must be some sensitive SOB's to notice the difference between an 18 and 20in wheel and tire combo. I agree that there could be some performance difference if you were dealing with a significant increase in overall diameter or width (i.e 32's vs 35's), but seriously, are you saying that stock for stock a Tundra with 18's would pull a Tundra with 20's just because of the wheels/tires?? I mean this in the nicest possible way but I think this is mainly in your head.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
I have to second this. Y'all must be some sensitive SOB's to notice the difference between an 18 and 20in wheel and tire combo. I agree that there could be some performance difference if you were dealing with a significant increase in overall diameter or width (i.e 32's vs 35's), but seriously, are you saying that stock for stock a Tundra with 18's would pull a Tundra with 20's just because of the wheels/tires?? I mean this in the nicest possible way but I think this is mainly in your head.
Maybe he don't got a 5.7 mang... lol :p

·
Registered
530 Posts
Sorry, this just isn't the case. When I had my truck brand spankin new an completely stock, it was an absolute rocketship! I've lost a little power with my muffler swap and level kit, but the most noticeable thing performance wise was the wheels and tires.

Maybe you don't notice because you don't drive your truck hard, but I run WOT at least one or two times everyday. My shift points have changed and the only way I can break the tires loose now is going around a corner at FULL throttle. Before when stock I could punch it in a straight line at 30mph and get the right one to spin.

I know the width has something to do with this too, but I can def feel the weight of the wheels. Maybe my motorcycle background makes me more sensitive than most when it comes to this stuff, I dunno

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Sorry, this just isn't the case. When I had my truck brand spankin new an completely stock, it was an absolute rocketship! I've lost a little power with my muffler swap and level kit, but the most noticeable thing performance wise was the wheels and tires.

Maybe you don't notice because you don't drive your truck hard, but I run WOT at least one or two times everyday. My shift points have changed and the only way I can break the tires loose now is going around a corner at FULL throttle. Before when stock I could punch it in a straight line at 30mph and get the right one to spin.

I know the width has something to do with this too, but I can def feel the weight of the wheels. Maybe my motorcycle background makes me more sensitive than most when it comes to this stuff, I dunno
Ya, but he swapped for stock wheels and possibly stock tires?

You went aftermarket wheels that will be heavier and E rated tires which together could very well be over double the factory wheel/tire combo weight, not say 3 Lbs difference.

Out of curiousity, did you do the ZPC when you leveled?

·
Registered
530 Posts
I feel sorry for the SOB that ever buys your truck used!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
My truck will have over 200k in 5 years. when I sell it, it won't be worth much, no matter what condition it's in. I'm shooting for a new one in 7 years, and I'll have around 280k on the clock. With meticulous Maintanence, I don't see a problem with driving it like this.

Shit, my last company truck threw a rod at 285k, and I was not kind to that truck. Just made sure to keep good oil in it, and when something broke I got it fixed right away.

Maintanence, Maintanence, Maintanence my friend.

What would you say to BRX? Or Supercharged? They beat their trucks mercilessly at the racetrack for cryin out loud! My truck is fine :)

·
Registered
530 Posts
Ya, but he swapped for stock wheels and possibly stock tires?

You went aftermarket wheels that will be heavier and E rated tires which together could very well be over double the factory wheel/tire combo weight, not say 3 Lbs difference.

Out of curiousity, did you do the ZPC when you leveled?
Yeah, your right. Stock shouldn't make as much of a difference. My 20x9's with 305/55's are heavy! I'd say at least 15-20 lbs per wheel/tire?

I didn't do the zpc btw, never had problems with my nannies. I turn them off anyway

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
I turn mine too.
your tires are listed at68lbs and I think factory are around 30 so that's 152 lbs rotational mass plus the extra weight of the rims which I wouldn't be surprised if that added another 100 lbs total. But they look better don't they.:D

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
Honestly, when I test drove a platinum and the rw cm that I ended up buying, there was noticeable acceleration differences. My gf even noticed, she asked if the rw had a bigger engine. I bought the rw. She also felt that the suspension on the plat felt mushy and divey in turns...

SOmetimes I hate my gf, then sometimes it's the little things that make me love her more.

Anyways, unsprung rotational mass adds up. I could tell a difference, hell, even when I looked at the Fj I could tell a difference between the one they stuck 20's on and the one I bought with 17's.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Honestly, when I test drove a platinum and the rw cm that I ended up buying, there was noticeable acceleration differences. My gf even noticed, she asked if the rw had a bigger engine. I bought the rw. She also felt that the suspension on the plat felt mushy and divey in turns...

SOmetimes I hate my gf, then sometimes it's the little things that make me love her more.

Anyways, unsprung rotational mass adds up. I could tell a difference, hell, even when I looked at the Fj I could tell a difference between the one they stuck 20's on and the one I bought with 17's.
But you kissed that feeling away with your heavy a$$ed 18" tires and wheels...lol, Just buggin you.:)

·
Registered
352 Posts

A lot of the difference between the RW and Platinum is in the tires. I have a Platinum that I put RW wheels and tires on and it is noticeably firmer (Passenger vs Light Truck tires).

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
But you kissed that feeling away with your heavy a$$ed 18" tires and wheels...lol, Just buggin you.:)
Yea, haven't had time to swap to th summer set yet...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts