Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Prospective 2014 Tundra buyer.

808 views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  xpablo 
#1 ·
I'm looking at getting a 2014 Tundra 4WD 5.7L Double Cab with TRD Off Road package.

Currently talking to Three Toyota dealers in Metro Vancouver, BC area,
So far 1 of them has given me their asking price, which is close but not what I'm willing to pay. I took a tundra as described above for a Test Drive and it was pretty good. I currently own a 2009 Tacoma X-Runner that i'm looking to trade in, and had another dealer trying to lowball me on the trade in price, without going into detail about the 2014 Tundra yet. On Saturday I'm going to visit these dealers and start talking. I have done my homework on wholesale prices and MSRP prices and what my X-Runner is worth, so if a dealer matches or comes close to the figure I have in my head, then we have a deal, if not I try a few other Toyota dealers and if that doesn't work I'll keep my Tacoma until I come up with a Plan B or something to that effect.

I'm a member of Tacoma World, Toyota nation and XR-Underground forums and now TundraTalk.

Back too reading some posts here.

#4 ·
Thanks Guys!

I'm containing my excitement for now, last time I got too hyped for the Tacoma and it co$t me big, because I wanted to get the deal done. This time I won't be making the same mistake again.

#5 ·
It all boils down to how much you want it. You have probably the most reliable and versatile truck on the road now. Figure out the max you are willing to pay and stick to it. I've had the "new" truck bug a couple of times but after driving them, it wasn't worth the beating on the trade. Selling outright might be a little bit of a hassle but I believe you will have more negotiating room if you are flashing cash when looking for a new truck.

#6 ·
Tacomas have great trade in value. You're doing the right thing by waiting for the right number. Someone will offer you what you want for it, especially an X Runner. I bought a 2012 Tacoma used and traded it for almost what I paid for it a year later (to the same dealer).

#7 ·
yeah, well the one dealer told me outright it's winter time and it's going to be hard selling a sport truck in the winter. He has a point and he's right but I don't care, I purchased The X-Runner new in December. Just got it fully detailed at a shop today and it looks like brand new, that the wife doesn't want me to part with it. She thinks I'm crazy, but I've been craving a Tundra for a few years now, and wasn't happy when Toyota changed the design for 2014, but after looking at it up close and driving it, I'm game for it, but also I'm willing to wait until Summer, if the prices aren't right.

#8 ·
Xplablo,

You may want to make “dealer” research a part of the buying process. Compare dealer service departments via the web – different sources will yield different results; talk to as many different people as you can concerning a dealer you are interested in – maybe find out the good and the bad. Ask your salesman or the GM at the dealership for a full walk through of the service department, it could be surprising what you can learn about them.

#9 ·
BigTex

I know all of the Toyota dealerships in my area, as I am the one who installed and setup the servers for their dealer management system, so I know a lot of the staff and I know most of the Service Dept. managers for each dealership. I stopped working for the company (R&R) at the end of 2010. I know all about the industry, but they're still vultures when buying a car, especially with me because the company I worked for never cut them any slack and there were times were I was forced to bill them some outrageous fees because the problem wasn't covered under the contract or maintenance agreement.

#10 ·
So far I've visited 2 dealers, the first one wasn't willing to go below MSRP, until I was about to walk out of dealership he said he could waive to Environmental Levies on A/C & Tires = $125.00. Really a $125. discount! Goodbye.

Dealer #2 offered $1,500. discount just by email. When I got to dealers we got up to $2,000. discount off MSRP and that's as far as we got, besides the lowball on my Trade In.

So with the trade in offer and my offer to buy 2014 Tundra.

Dealer #1: $9,000. combined difference to make a deal. (Chinese Salesman)

Dealer #2: $4,500. combined difference to make a deal. ("White" Sales Manager in dealership located in a predominately Chinese neighborhood).

Dealer #3: Have yet too visit, when I get more time I will visit, I stood him up on Saturday. Thanks to dealer #2 making me wait for almost a hour before Test Drive
that eventually never happened because the 2014 Tundra he wanted me to drive had bench seat in front, I wanted TRD, but his TRD is on some fancy display on his lot and he didn't want to move it for a Test Drive. = Fail! but if the price was right i'd forgive him.

Toyota dealers in this neck of the woods very difficult to negotiate with because Toyota's are so popular, #1 Automotive dealership franchise to own here.

I still have much work to do and plenty of other dealers to negotiate with, I even went south of the border, and saw nice "Used" 2014 CM that I could buy at Wilson Toyota in Bellingham,Wa, but I'm not interested in CM cabs.

Toyota USA Dealers are not allowed to sell NEW Toyota's to Canadians.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.