Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
:popcorn: ViktorG.. Hey buddy I have to ask you about your build. Your avatar states you've installed AWD conversion on your RWD Single cab ?.. Please explain what exactly did you do? Did you re install the front transfer case and ETC.?.
When I raced 8th mile in 4 hi. I would hit 89 - 90 MPH. My steering wheel was shaking do to my transfer case gearing was maxed out. With that knowledge I took this situation to Nitro Gearing. The guy set me up with proper gearing size for both front and rear diff. Guaranteed to not max out 120 MPH plus.. Is this the direction you've gone with? And can you turn your AWD off ? Good stuff Viktor :popcorn:

Reactions: ViktorG and Wacked

·
Registered
806 Posts
:popcorn: ViktorG.. Hey buddy I have to ask you about your build. Your avatar states you've installed AWD conversion on your RWD Single cab ?.. Please explain what exactly did you do? Did you re install the front transfer case and ETC.? I so dig your concepts. I was looking at a 2009 RWD Single cab back in 2012. Knowing my 2008 SC Trd 4x4 DC launches are so contagious and exhilarating because of no wheel spin all traction was the way to launch these Tundra's. My idea about buying the 09 RWD Single cab so I could install the front transfer case and start my way with the fastest Single cab off the light around. Everyone in Diego and here in Seattle thought I was out of my mind (Which I am) to go that direction.
And here a few years later you have installed this AWD fetcher that works. When I raced 8th mile in 4 hi. I would hit 89 - 90 MPH. My steering wheel was shaking do to my transfer case gearing was maxed out. With that knowledge I took this situation to Nitro Gearing. The guy set me up with proper gearing size for both front and rear diff. Guaranteed to not max out 120 MPH plus.. Is this the direction you've gone with? And can you turn your AWD off ? Good stuff Viktor :popcorn:
His Single Cab started life as a 4X4 and he added a Sequoia transfer case. I've not read that there's a limiting speed for the transfer case.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
So what your saying is he swapped out his transfer case for the Sequoia's ? (I don't mean to be left in the dark. Does Sequoia's have more strength taller gearing ?
Also I thought I remembered reading our fine print detailed Warranty. Not to exceed 70 or was it 75 MPH while in 4x4. ? I surly could be wrong because Im like Viktor. I punched the clock on my Toyota Warranty years ago and broke all rule's. :)
Do you know what phone app Viktor's using for 1/4 mile times? Thanks

·
Registered
806 Posts
Thats what my buddies in Dubai say also. BRX has said guys there felt the vibration also but didnt care. Just ran it tell it blew up.. They just let it rip in 4 hi..
So what your saying is he swapped out his transfer case for the Sequoia's ? (I don't mean to be left in the dark. Does Sequoia's have more strength taller gearing ?
Also I thought I remembered reading our fine print detailed Warranty. Not to exceed 70 or was it 75 MPH while in 4x4. ? I surly could be wrong because Im like Viktor. I punched the clock on my Toyota Warranty years ago and broke all rule's. :)
Do you know what phone app Viktor's using for 1/4 mile times? Thanks
The Sequoia case has an open center differential.

Toyota doesn't want us shifting the case above 60 mph. No speed limits while in 4x4. Same gearing though.

Don't know what app he uses, but I'm sure he'll chime in here when he gets the chance.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
The Sequoia case has an open center differential.

Toyota doesn't want us shifting the case above 60 mph. No speed limits while in 4x4. Same gearing though.

Don't know what app he uses, but I'm sure he'll chime in here when he gets the chance.

Sure its open.. For street use drivability. Toyota doesn't want us shifting the case above 60 mph?

Oh I see Toyota doesn't want us turning on 4x4 (Hi) over 62 mph. Turning it back off can be done at any speed.

I noticed both you and ViktorB are running RCSB and your Avatar states your's is AWD also. Just trying to get my brain wrapped around this mod. Do you drive around with it in AWD (4x4 hi) all the time ?
Just curious no judging from me guy's.
Im always trying to read or keep up with the latest cutting edge of performance.
Gearing ratio's and Wheel / tire size is going to get Viktor even closer to getting his quicker times.

Shaving the weight and the other postings from Viktor are true. Watching closely to Viktor's app. His 1/8 mile was a spot on with his speed for the GPS driven app. Theres some cool race app's out there. I never knew tell I noticed it on Viktors video..:thumbsup:

·
Registered
806 Posts
Sure its open.. For street use drivability. Toyota doesn't want us shifting the case above 60 mph?

Oh I see Toyota doesn't want us turning on 4x4 (Hi) over 62 mph. Turning it back off can be done at any speed.

I noticed both you and ViktorB are running RCSB and your Avatar states your's is AWD also. Just trying to get my brain wrapped around this mod. Do you drive around with it in AWD (4x4 hi) all the time ?
Just curious no judging from me guy's.
Im always trying to read or keep up with the latest cutting edge of performance.
Gearing ratio's and Wheel / tire size is going to get Viktor even closer to getting his quicker times.

Shaving the weight and the other postings from Viktor are true. Watching closely to Viktor's app. His 1/8 mile was a spot on with his speed for the GPS driven app. Theres some cool race app's out there. I never knew tell I noticed it on Viktors video..:thumbsup:
I've read in my Owner's Manual (the 4x4 original to my truck with the original T-case) and yes, they say not to try to shift into 4x4 above 60MPH; again though, I don't recall any cautioning against driving in 4x4 above that speed. I'm sure that the same applies to the Sequoia, but in truth, I can not claim to have actually read that. I think that one day I actually attempted to shift from 4x4 to 2x4 and the computer just beeped at me and did not change until I slowed to below 60MPH. My memory is a little foggy on that.

I have made the same T-case modification to my RCSB with the case from the Sequoia. If memory serves me, I think that maybe Viktor's other truck may have the Land Cruiser T-case and front differential making it full time AWD. I think his and my RCSBs are both Sequoia T-cases with their original Tundra front differentials. I don't know Viktor's driving habits other than the videos that he's shared, so I can't comment on how much he might use the 4x4 in his RCSB. In my case, during the winter I have mine in 4x4 most of the time unless I'm on a dry high speed road where it's unnecessary. During the summer months I may use it when the roads are wet and I want to hammer it from a stop.

Back to a comment that you made in an earlier post about higher speed vibrations while in 4x4. A little voice in the back of my head is wondering if maybe with the hard accelerations, possible individual tire slippage, and distance covered all combined, that there could be some driveline binding. Just a thought...

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
:drive:

Reactions: Wacked

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Here is a few looks at the Prototype ready to fit fuel rails and high volume fittings for the high volume fuel pumps. The guy states its going to be much more efficient flow from our tank to injectors. Keep you posted on the final Dyno results.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
ViktorG.. Hey buddy I have to ask you about your build. Your avatar states you've installed AWD conversion on your RWD Single cab ?.. Please explain what exactly did you do? Did you re install the front transfer case and ETC.?.
When I raced 8th mile in 4 hi. I would hit 89 - 90 MPH. My steering wheel was shaking do to my transfer case gearing was maxed out. With that knowledge I took this situation to Nitro Gearing. The guy set me up with proper gearing size for both front and rear diff. Guaranteed to not max out 120 MPH plus.. Is this the direction you've gone with? And can you turn your AWD off ? Good stuff Viktor
Sorry, was at my fishing cabin with no internet/phone for a week.
Everything Wynnded said is correct.
The truck was originally a 4x4 and I installed the Sequoia transfer case and 4x4 ECU etc. to get AWD.
Here is the write-up https://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tundra-performance-modifications/542745-awd-conversion-completed.html
The truck now has 2HI, 4Hi free, 4Lo free, 4Hi locked and 4Lo locked.
I drive it in 4Hi free (AWD) all the time, summer or winter.
There is no speed limit for the t-case, I've taken the truck over 130 mph with both the stock Tundra and the AWD Sequoia t-cases no problem, it just won't let you shift the t-case over 60mph.
The shaking you describe is likely caused by the tires on your truck having different amount of wear/tread depth on them.
When the truck is in 4x4 it will be very sensitive to wheel speed difference caused by difference in tread wear since the axle are locked to each other solid front and back.
The app I use is the Dragy app, but you have to buy the Dragy GPS unit first, $150 on Amazon.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Well, Thundra finally made it to the drag strip with the forged 3UR-FE motor running 14 PSI on the TRD supercharger.
These are my 2 best passes of the night on the motor alone.
I didn't have a purge solenoid installed and my nitrous was bogging bad, so I need to get it figured out and head back out to the track when I get a chance.
Also, the TRD injectors are maxed out at that boost level and I think the fuel pump is not far behind.
Time to spend more money :eek:

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Good run's there Viktory

Reactions: Wacked and ViktorG

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
This is not really drag racing related, but still a part of the Thundra build.
Today I swapped the Belltech front lowering springs for the SOS Performance/Tundra Racing front lowering kit.
Here is a vid:

Reactions: RedBullistic

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
This is not really drag racing related, but still a part of the Thundra build.
Today I swapped the Belltech front lowering springs for the SOS Performance/Tundra Racing front lowering kit.
Here is a vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkgOw9JkqI8
Good info on the lowering kit swap.
Tundra Racing kit is the better of the 2 kits for our 4x4's. Maybe look into these Calvert rear adjustable performance shocks Im on the search for a adjustable coil over kit that will compliment our TR Kits.

You have a (84MM) throttle body. What Toyota TB is it off of?
Does our TRD flash ECU's accept the CFM Diffs ? It looks as it just bolts right on and our Rubber intake Throttle Body tubing pro-fits also ? .
Thanks Viktory :D

Attachments

Reactions: Wacked

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Viktory:

Update on the fuel rails.. I must say they are nice and shinny rails being produced for our SC Tundra's. Next stage is to Dyno test them to see if this is our running lean fix for the added boost.

*Also NEW information has been revealed from a tested and proven source that our fuel lines and rails are not the problem. BRX helpful response and recommendation is run dual walbro pumps and at least id1050x injectors with an aftermarket fuel regulator. The biggest fuel restrictor is actually the factory regulator not the lines or rails as I used to think before.
Viktor let us know if BRX corrective information helps you protect that newly built 5.7L from running lean.
( Viktor again much thanks for the assistance helping us fix/maintain our Tundra's)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Good info on the lowering kit swap.
Tundra Racing kit is the better of the 2 kits for our 4x4's. Maybe look into these Calvert rear adjustable performance shocks Im on the search for a adjustable coil over kit that will compliment our TR Kits.
Those look sick! I am currently just using the Toyota Tokico 48531-A9130 short rear shocks, but will look into Calvert when the funds allow.

You have a (84MM) throttle body. What Toyota TB is it off of?
Does our TRD flash ECU's accept the CFM Diffs ? It looks as it just bolts right on and our Rubber intake Throttle Body tubing pro-fits also ? .
All info is here https://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tundra-performance-modifications/759032-installing-84-mm-2ur-gse-throttle-body-lexus-lc500-rc-f-onto-tundra.html

Update on the fuel rails.. I must say they are nice and shinny rails being produced for our SC Tundra's. Next stage is to Dyno test them to see if this is our running lean fix for the added boost.
Those look great! Do they fit the stock injector size or the ID injectors? Once they are available for sale, please send me a link, I would be interested.

The biggest fuel restrictor is actually the factory regulator not the lines or rails as I used to think before.
I honestly can't see how the regulator is the biggest restriction on a stock fuel rail/pump setup since it is located after the fuel rails, not before.
The only way it would be a restriction is if you were running a much larger fuel pump that flowed a lot more, then it would overpower the regulator and the fuel pressure would go up.
In that case however, you would be running richer than normal, not leaner, so even though it is a restriction in a sense, it is not one that restricts fuel flow into the injectors.

Viktor again much thanks for the assistance helping us fix/maintain our Tundra's
Any time :)

Reactions: ktmracer01

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I honestly can't see how the regulator is the biggest restriction on a stock fuel rail/pump setup since it is located after the fuel rails, not before.

It's a restriction in making power not restriction in fuel flow just like you said. They can't hold much flow with a bigger pump and can't build enough pressure for injectors to flow sufficiently. A aftermarket regulator you can simply adjust it to build as much pressure as you want as long as you have a big enough pump. ( The stock rails can handle it..)

The new prototype fuel rails - will handle whatever injector you want when ordered. Send you the link when released. Their going to start logging some fuel pressures soon.

Attachments

Reactions: ViktorG

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Viktor
Did you get positive I.D. and removal of the Neg Electrode and insulator pieces during plug removal ?

41 - 60 of 77 Posts