Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my truck it only came with one key.. once I purchase a new key can I program myself after having it cut or is that a dealer only thing ? I searched here and Google but couldn't find a specific anwser, sorry if it's been talked about several times already but I couldn't find it...

I have a "G" key
2011 4.6 4wd extra cab

·
Premium Member
1,701 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had the same issue, went to Lowes (with two keys I bought off eBay) and they wouldn't program them. However, they sold keys they could program so I bought one from them. Out the door for $80. I bought two FOBs off eBay at the same time and used Techstream to program the FOBs.

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts
Walmart has them for about 40.00 and they will program the chip in them.

The FOBs you can do yourself.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I thought I had lost my spare key and bought one from ebay. Had the key cut from Home Depot. Funny bc the guy cut the key for me but couldn't charge me bc I brought my own. Apparently, they can only charge based upon a SKU from keys they sell. LOL. In any case, the key was cut correctly and I programmed it using TechStream along with the extra fob I bought. A month later, my wife found the spare in my son's baseball gear bag... SIGH

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
I want to get a couple of extra keys cut for my 2013. I ordered the G chip keys off ebay. I reviewed some posts about using Techstream to reprogram the keys once cut. My question is do you turn the truck to the "on" position with the original key or with the newly cut key? I don't want to put the newly cut key into the ignition and cause some type of security issue. All the Techstream information shows the menus only. Thanks!

Update. I got the newly cut keys to program to the Tundra. I was worried about putting a non-programmed key in as somebody mentioned if you try and start the car without an programmed key, the security in the vehicle will activate and the vehicle will need to be towed to the dealer. For anyone wondering in the future, you need your "master" key to do this. I do not know if "master" key means an original key from the dealer, or a key that is already approved in the software. Techstream has you remove the key in the ignition as the ignition has to be on to pair with the program, and re-insert the "master" key, then it has you insert your key to be added to the system. It worked great. There are posts on the forum about the menus and all, but I wanted to make sure I used the correct key.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.