Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the Banks Monster Exhaust on my 2010 CrewMax with 21k miles. I was surfing the net one day and found a great deal on AutoAnything so I pulled the trigger.

Everything came packaged nicely in just a few days. I read through the instructions beforehand to make sure I wouldn't encounter any surprises halfway through the install. Well, no surprises, but there is one bit of detail I failed to notice which proved to make things more difficult. So here are my thoughts on the kit.

1. Removing the old exhaust is simply unbolting the two flanges in front of the muffler and removing from the exhaust hangers (spray them with WD40 or bolt loosener a few minutes before). To actually slide the whole exhaust assembly out towards the front of the truck, I had to jack up the rear of the truck to get more clearance between the rear axle and the bed. Once I had enough room, it slid out pretty easily

2. The kit includes a Y-pipe and eliminates the dual entry to the muffler. It requires you to cut 16" off the existing exhaust. Here is where I messed up. Those 16" include a curve in the pipe and I measured from the inside. The instructions do show measuring 16" from the OUTSIDE part of the bend but I failed to notice that. So, as you can imagine, I cut about 2" too long and the new Y-pipe wouldn't reach. Quick trip to the parts store got me what I needed. Lesson learned...measure twice, cut once :)

3. Everything else connected up nicely and putting the exhaust clamps on was pretty straightforward. The whole kit is stainless steel, which is nice. They do recommend welding all the joints at some point as some cheap insurance against the clamps failing.

4. Once it was all put together, I started it up. You can definitely tell a difference at idle but when I closed the doors and sat in the cab, I didn't notice a difference. Driving it is a different story. Stepping on the throttle, the response is much, much better. From inside the cab, you can definitely hear the drone - especially cruising down the freeway at 70MPH on a slight incline, where a little throttle is required. On a flat straightaway you can't really hear it but when you have to apply the throttle at all, the drone is definitely there. I've never owned a V8 with upgraded exhaust so I don't know if this is normal

Overall, if I had to rate this kit, I would give it 3 out 5 stars. Quality is pretty good and install is quite simple (if you cut it right the first time...:)). If the drone is normal on most aftermarket exhaust kits then I would bump the score up to a 4 since the kit itself is pretty impressive. I purchased this for right around $400, which again, is inexpensive in my mind.

If you have any questions please let me know - I would be happy to answer them to the best of my ability. I've had this on for about a month now so we'll see if my thoughts change after a few more miles.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I have the Borla system on my 2008, it's basically the same as the TRD of the same vintage. I have a slight drone also, though it's not as bad as a friends Chev 5.3 with Flowmaster 50's. He had 40's before that, the resonance/drone was unbearable to me.

I have heard good things about Banks, sounds like you made a good buy also. Congrats!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Got any pics??

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Banks monster system has always been my favorite sounding exhaust for the tundra. It was like 900 when I bought my exhaust so I went with my magnaflow.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: Mr. Creosote
1 - 6 of 6 Posts