Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I've got a set of procomp 6066 rims (pics in profile) that have started to flake pretty badly and it's really starting to bother me.

I'll get some close ups and post them this weekend.

Has anyone had the clear coat flake on their wheels before? How did you fix it?

I'm going to try some paint stripped this weekend to remove the clear coat, them taking some chrome polish to the wheels and re-clear coating them.

Does anyone else have any better suggestions/experience with this sort of thing?

Worst case scenario is that I end up replacing them with something else.

Thanks!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Years ago a neighbor of mine had an Infiniti SUV with factory styled wheels of some kind that were doing that same thing. He took them to a shop that removed the clear coat crap and simply polished them to a high shine. The same thing is happening to the wheels on the wife's 4Runner and I wish I had the $$ to do the same.

Reactions: Mr4wdTRD

·
Premium Member
39,325 Posts
Sand blast and powder coat

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sand blast and powder coat

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337
I really like the black chrome. Otherwise I'd do that.

And to the above: sorry to hear your 4 runner is having the same issues. After doing some searching online it seems that most people that DIY this fix use a paint stripper to remove the clear coat then polish the chrome and re spray a clear.

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For anyone interested. I got in touch with 4wheelparts.com who has a location here in Phoenix.

I'm outside of my warranty period so procomp would not swap me out for different wheels. But they were able to explain that it's not actually black chrome, it's a powdercoat with a clear layer over the top. What's flaking off is he clear itself.

So, this is good news. I should be able to buff out the problem areas and re spray a clear over them for now.

I suppose this will be a weekend project when I get some free time.

That or start shopping for new wheels. The guys at 4wheelparts.com said that because hey couldn't help that they would give me a real good deal on some new wheels.

So I've got options at least. Just thought I'd give you guys an update should anyone ever experience this issue with these wheels or should anyone search this issue through the net.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
If you go for new wheels you might want to pm discount tire on here and compare prices since they usually beat prices and have good customer service. 4wp doesn't seem to get very good reviews in general though I'm sure it depends on location an who works there.

Reactions: Mr4wdTRD
1 - 6 of 6 Posts