Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
All, I am curious for those who have gone with an aftermarket exhaust if they have experienced any problems like those I currently am having. I have an 08 Tundra 4X2 5.7L Dual Cab 6.5 foot bed. My dual rear exhaust from Magnaflow goes between the frame and leaf springs on both sides in the rear. On the drivers side there is an inch and a half gap, on the passenger side an inch from the pipes to the leaf springs. As you may imagine this causes the exhaust pipes on at least the passenger side to hit the Leaf Springs whenever I hit just a moderate size bump. Now everything is lined up. The rubber hangers are not bent at an angle and where it hits is actually the hanger bracket on the pipes so it's like it was engineered to go there. Me and a buddy who was a mechanic (decided he wanted to have the money to have better tools so became a system engineer, he has swapped LS1's into RX7's, done SR20's in Toyota Trucks (the old ones without a name, just truck, so he knows his way around an exhaust)) put the exhaust in on Friday and things went bad throughout the install. We had a clamp's bolt break at 60lb's (was supposed to be torqued to 65), one pipe was not expanded enough so had to take it to an exhaust shop to have the pipe expanded. And after we thought we had it licked we drove it and had the bump issue, however with little time left in the day I left.

So my question to all of those with aftermarket exhausts (and if you happen to have a 16865 thats great), what are your clearances if you do go between the frame and leaf springs in the back? I can't believe they chose to go between them as there is space on the inside away from the leaf springs and it seems that if you route the 2.5 inch pipe between the leaf springs and frame if enough weight is in the bed and the truck hits a bump you’re going to hit the pipes. I have an email out to Magnaflow and an appt tomorrow with a Magnaflow recommended installer to look at fixing it. I mean what use is a truck if with an empty bed you can't hit a bump? I imagine if I put 1500lbs of stuff in the back it would be already hitting the exhaust and if I hit a bump it would break. Any idea's? I have pictures located http://rebbert.info/truck.zip

You can go see yours as it is clear as day right in the rear wheel wells. If it's like mine it will go between the frame and the Leaf Springs, otherwise it will stay to the inside side of the leaf springs.

I can't seem to reply (tells me I don't have enough privileges) so I will add this. I don't see how it would go underneath the springs and still fit in the hanger. I did take it to two shops hoping to get it fixed today. The first said it looked installed correct but was just engineered wrong, but they would not be able to work on it until Monday. The second shop could not look at it but said they would work on it tomorrow at 1:00. Either way if I don't get a response here that gives me the confidence to go fix it myself it will get done then, and I will post back the results.

·
Premium Member
5,342 Posts
Are you sure it's not supposed to run under the leaf spring.

Welcome to the site.

·
Premium Member
5,342 Posts
That just doesnt seem to be right. There isnt much room between the spring and frame. When the spring starts to flatten out with a load in the bed you will have real problems. I would get in touch with Magnaflow and see if they can remedy this for you.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can reply now? How nice...

Yeah I contacted MagnaFlow (Jim Cates) and when I asked about why they would route it between the Frame and the Leaf Springs he said "sometimes we do that" What the heck are they thinking. If I did not fall in love with the sound (And I am not talking about the cling clang when I hit a bump). I would rip it off, get a shop to go straight pipes for time being and get a refund. However as I am vested in this and I love the sound, I will see if the shop tomorrow can fix it and in writing state that the truck will not bottom out on the exhaust again next time I load it up. If they can't or won't I am going to have them fabricate a new exit strategy staying away from the area and still exit through the back and expect that Magnaflow will man up and foot the bill. Due to the problems I have had to this point with MagnaFlow (pipes not fitting quite right, clamp bolt breaking well before the suggested torque point, and this) I cannot suggest "anyone" use MagnaFlow. As mentioned it could be my problem though where I messed up. Whereas if that’s the case I will eat my pride, report back I am an idiot, and just be saddened by the clamp bolt, and pipes not fitting together.

·
Premium Member
5,342 Posts
Take the tails off and you can buy some turn downs at the parts store for like $6-$8 a piece and use the existing clamps. Then see what you can get done about the tails. I took my tail pipe off and put a turn down on it to get rid of the drone. I will be modding the tail to change the frequency of the tail pipe so it will not drone.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Wow that was too much for me to read .....But I have been back to the shop with my pal who is also the installer at least four times and she still hits the bumper. Mine goes both out rear under the bumper straight back.

Did it the Magnaflow way and it hit more so we custom tweaked it and so far minimized banging to once in a while on some real bad bumps.

I still love the systym though.

·
Registered
273 Posts
holy sh*t that was long...that sucks bro, you'd think it would be designed better. how about lifting your truck with a 6" lift? :D

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow that was too much for me to read .....But I have been back to the shop with my pal who is also the installer at least four times and she still hits the bumper. Mine goes both out rear under the bumper straight back.

Did it the Magnaflow way and it hit more so we custom tweaked it and so far minimized banging to once in a while on some real bad bumps.

I still love the systym though.
So you have the 16865 too and it bumps? I can't tolerate that as I do put close to the payload limit in the bed and if I did that with the setup the way it is engineered to be (looks like it is a problem on Magnaflows end) I will end up probably breaking something. Thanks for chiming in, and sorry for the length of my original post, I just wanted to make sure I gave out as much information as possible that way everyone had as much of the picture as possible.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
holy sh*t that was long...that sucks bro, you'd think it would be designed better. how about lifting your truck with a 6" lift? :D
I will lift it eventually, but for now I don't think my wife will let me get away with it. For now I guess I will have to have them custom make the pipes that take the exhaust past the springs.

·
Premium Member
39,325 Posts
Take the tails off and you can buy some turn downs at the parts store for like $6-$8 a piece and use the existing clamps. Then see what you can get done about the tails. I took my tail pipe off and put a turn down on it to get rid of the drone. I will be modding the tail to change the frequency of the tail pipe so it will not drone.
Another Estupido Student!!!

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
MagnaFlow admits it's there bad....

Ok, so today was interesting. I took it to Auto and Truck Outfitters in Baltimore MD (East Side) and they agreed with the other shop I took it to yesterday (Brook's Muffler) that it was Magnaflows engineering and not my own installation (I mean it's an exhaust not a rocket engine how hard should it be?). So I called MagnaFlow Jim Cates and he said now Magnaflow is acknowledging there is an issue and will be trying to bring in a truck to reengineer there exhaust to one that does not rub.

I told him personally I do not see how you can run it above the Leaf Springs and not have issues so they needed to look at running it to the side of them. He made a few suggestions but they sucked (send it back (don’t have my stock exhaust anymore), have the shop it was at swap it for a single out the side (not really looking for that look) or lastly wait for them to figure it out). I gave him an additional option which he was no to keen on and I don't think it would have been enough and that was them give me 150-200 and have a shop that can mendrel bend SS engineer a solution. I am thinking it would be more and he was not too happy about that.

So what did I end up doing? Well I got home and decided I needed my truck (as I use it as a truck) to pick up 1000+lb's of 12X12 blocks. So I disconnected everything after the muffler, took it out, and then let it blow back on the axle until I get the downturns (which I did tonight as well but have not put on yet). I plan on calling him tomorrow and telling him I need 40 bucks (5 for the broken bracket I had to replace and 15 for two downturns, and 20 to have a shop look at it and tell me what I already know so Magnaflow would believe me) and when they have a solution that makes sense (which I will verify before he ships it out) ship it out to me and pay for a shop to put it in.

I suggest anyone who has the Magnaflow 16865 (dual rear exit) and has bumpage problems call Jim at 1-800-959-9226 ext 4500 and let him know so you can get it fixed.

Summary for those who don't like ramblers: :D

Magnaflows 16865 exhaust does not fit DoubleCab 4X2's with the 5.7L
They admitted it's there bad
I put two downturns off the muffler (thanks guys)
Going to wait for them to fix their crap and get my $40 back

·
Premium Member
5,342 Posts
Ok, so today was interesting. I took it to Auto and Truck Outfitters in Baltimore MD (East Side) and they agreed with the other shop I took it to yesterday (Brook's Muffler) that it was Magnaflows engineering and not my own installation (I mean it's an exhaust not a rocket engine how hard should it be?). So I called MagnaFlow Jim Cates and he said now Magnaflow is acknowledging there is an issue and will be trying to bring in a truck to reengineer there exhaust to one that does not rub.

I told him personally I do not see how you can run it above the Leaf Springs and not have issues so they needed to look at running it to the side of them. He made a few suggestions but they sucked (send it back (don’t have my stock exhaust anymore), have the shop it was at swap it for a single out the side (not really looking for that look) or lastly wait for them to figure it out). I gave him an additional option which he was no to keen on and I don't think it would have been enough and that was them give me 150-200 and have a shop that can mendrel bend SS engineer a solution. I am thinking it would be more and he was not too happy about that.

So what did I end up doing? Well I got home and decided I needed my truck (as I use it as a truck) to pick up 1000+lb's of 12X12 blocks. So I disconnected everything after the muffler, took it out, and then let it blow back on the axle until I get the downturns (which I did tonight as well but have not put on yet). I plan on calling him tomorrow and telling him I need 40 bucks (5 for the broken bracket I had to replace and 15 for two downturns, and 20 to have a shop look at it and tell me what I already know so Magnaflow would believe me) and when they have a solution that makes sense (which I will verify before he ships it out) ship it out to me and pay for a shop to put it in.

I suggest anyone who has the Magnaflow 16865 (dual rear exit) and has bumpage problems call Jim at 1-800-959-9226 ext 4500 and let him know so you can get it fixed.

Summary for those who don't like ramblers: :D

Magnaflows 16865 exhaust does not fit DoubleCab 4X2's with the 5.7L
They admitted it's there bad
I put two downturns off the muffler (thanks guys)
Going to wait for them to fix their crap and get my $40 back
Glad to see that they admit they have a problem and are willing to do something about it.

Another Estupido Student!!!
Yes, oh wise stupid one.:D

·
Registered
75 Posts
On one hand, I'm kinda glad I read this post, but on the other, I'm not a happy camper :mad: I have this exact same exhaust system, and noticed last week that my left side rear tailpipe was about 4 inches lower than the right, and I remember both sides were perfectly aligned. I too noticed that there was some banging going on in the rear of the truck that I hadn't heard before, and figured it was just the exhaust came loose and needed some adjustments. I had the shop realign the left side and tighten everything up, so now everything looks good once again. Now, just the other day I noticed that bang again when I went over a decent bump, figured it must be either the spare or perhaps the exhaust came loose again, but it's all making sense now. Last week, I had a 700 lb load in the box, which more than likely put pressure on the left side tail pipe and caused it to move, but the other day, no load, AND I'm riding on a LR 3/1 leveling kit, which gives me even more clearance over stock. If this is indeed what's going on in my case, I'm wondering if there's a possibility of anything getting damaged on the truck or exhaust, and better yet, how am I'm going to tow my 16' enclosed snowmobile trailer filled with 2 sleds and gear while the third sled sits in the back, and avoid damaging anything due to the load ??? I'm going to take a good look underneath and see if there are any signs of contact on the exhaust from what little use of the truck I've had so far, and in the meantime, I'll call Jim and listen to what he has to say.

Thanks for posting this info, mrebbert.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
On one hand, I'm kinda glad I read this post, but on the other, I'm not a happy camper :mad: I have this exact same exhaust system, and noticed last week that my left side rear tailpipe was about 4 inches lower than the right, and I remember both sides were perfectly aligned. I too noticed that there was some banging going on in the rear of the truck that I hadn't heard before, and figured it was just the exhaust came loose and needed some adjustments. I had the shop realign the left side and tighten everything up, so now everything looks good once again. Now, just the other day I noticed that bang again when I went over a decent bump, figured it must be either the spare or perhaps the exhaust came loose again, but it's all making sense now. Last week, I had a 700 lb load in the box, which more than likely put pressure on the left side tail pipe and caused it to move, but the other day, no load, AND I'm riding on a LR 3/1 leveling kit, which gives me even more clearance over stock. If this is indeed what's going on in my case, I'm wondering if there's a possibility of anything getting damaged on the truck or exhaust, and better yet, how am I'm going to tow my 16' enclosed snowmobile trailer filled with 2 sleds and gear while the third sled sits in the back, and avoid damaging anything due to the load ??? I'm going to take a good look underneath and see if there are any signs of contact on the exhaust from what little use of the truck I've had so far, and in the meantime, I'll call Jim and listen to what he has to say.

Thanks for posting this info, mrebbert.
Sorry to hear about this, Magnaflow is working on it though so I do encourage you to contact Jim Cates and let him know you are having issues as well. You might want to drop the hint that going through the leaf springs on any vehicle is dumb, I would have thought this was common sense but well...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Bumping this to the TOP ! Finally got an email back from Jim Cates today after 3 weeks of waiting. Basically said they're aware of the issue with the 09's ??? and they need a donor vehicle to come up with a solution for a redesign. Options are to return it for a single system (not a chance am I going single) or return it period. Not great options IMO. What I'm confused about is that he seems to be directing the blame towards Toyota for making changes in the 09 models, however, mrebbert has an 08 with this problem, so it's obviously Magnaflow's fault. I emailed back with what I expect them to do and I'm just waiting for another reply. Hopefully it won't take another 3 weeks for an answer saying I'm SOL ! :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
New update.... MagnaFlow gives up...
According to Jim Cates over at Magnaflow they have given up trying to find another way to run the exhaust and that they will pay return shipping to have the thing shipped back to them and issue a refund but I have to go through the seller I went through to begin with (HottExhaust.com). I gotta say I am a little upset because I spent a few hours trying to get it installed, another 8-16 hours going shop to shop trying to get someone to attest to the fact it would not work as provided and in communications with them to get this rectified and all I am going to get is a refund of the exhaust itself. They should be paying for whatever else I get to get installed. Oh well. For those with Tundra's and the dual rear exhaust from magnaflow your screwed if you haul stuff.

·
Registered
75 Posts
New update.... MagnaFlow gives up...
According to Jim Cates over at Magnaflow they have given up trying to find another way to run the exhaust and that they will pay return shipping to have the thing shipped back to them and issue a refund but I have to go through the seller I went through to begin with (HottExhaust.com). I gotta say I am a little upset because I spent a few hours trying to get it installed, another 8-16 hours going shop to shop trying to get someone to attest to the fact it would not work as provided and in communications with them to get this rectified and all I am going to get is a refund of the exhaust itself. They should be paying for whatever else I get to get installed. Oh well. For those with Tundra's and the dual rear exhaust from magnaflow your screwed if you haul stuff.
Yeah, I got the same lame ass excuse from that moron, Jim, myself ! Said they were waiting for another donor truck to test on, and in the meantime, I could either return it for a single, or get a refund. Not great customer service here at all folks ! Take note other manufacturers, do not follow in Magnaflow's sloppy footsteps !

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah, I got the same lame ass excuse from that moron, Jim, myself ! Said they were waiting for another donor truck to test on, and in the meantime, I could either return it for a single, or get a refund. Not great customer service here at all folks ! Take note other manufacturers, do not follow in Magnaflow's sloppy footsteps !

Jim claims his engineers have decided it is impossible to route the pipes anywhere but through the rear leaf springs and frame, I looked underneath and there looks to be plenty of room. And if I am reading the banks exhaust install correctly even though it is a single outlet to double exits they route over top the rear diff which looks to be a good alternative, however he did not want to hear that and claims it's through the rear leaf springs or it can't be done. Kind of lame if you ask me too.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts