Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and gals, I'm having a problem with the wheels that came factory installed on my new 2013 Tundra TSS DC. The center hub caps are working themselves loose on these rims and I'm wondering if I'm the only one having this problem. I originally thought a rookie tried to steal my wheels and removed the center cap thinking that had to be done prior to removing the rims themselves, but today I found a second cap had come off (after filing a police report and paying my local dealer $50+ bucks for a replacement on the 1st one that came off) and sure enough a trip around the neighborhood and my cap is laying in the neighbor's driveway. I called Toyota and initiated a case with them and they told me that they had not heard about the issue from any other owners. I'm concerned that the small number of people who bought the same or similar truck with these wheels may not register on their radar or may conclude the same way I did that someone is trying to steal their wheels and simply pay the money it costs to replace them. Anyone else have these wheels and any issues?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update

Apparently given the lack of responses I've received from other members, this problem has not happened to anyone else. My dealer replaced 3 of 4 caps and just today I lost another cap (one of the replacements provided by the dealer and not the 4th cap which was original). I am not understanding what is happening to these caps, but apparently it isn't a problem for anyone else. Please let me know if you have had this problem with these wheels on your truck or post if you have these wheels installed and have never had an issue, thanks.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Are they clipped all the way on? Something sounds off with this. I'd have the dealer check it out for you to see what is going on. I'd also ask fr my $50 back for the first replacement because something isn't right here.

I did have one that came up missing between test driving and purchasing the truck. The dealer ordered a new one and had it sent directly to me. I popped it on and it has been there ever since. Mine do appear to be slightly loose but nothing I'm worried about.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rock,

The dealer did refund my money for the first replacement and they have installed all parts since. Toyota has elevated the concern and is now assigning a case manager at corporate to investigate the issue. Send me a PM if you'd like to follow up with them about your similar issue.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Found one of my caps lose today.

Reactions: lawb2uh

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update

Toyota replaced the entire rim, saying it was machined incorrectly from the factory and thus was not holding the cap bolts. The problem appears to be resolved, as I have not had further issues with the caps since this was done about 1 month ago today. Tundracruzen, PM me if you need further advice about how to deal with the issue, because I'm sure the supplier made more than two defective rims for this series.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I pulled all my cap bolts yesterday and reinstalled them with some Locktite. IMO, this should have been done from the factory. We will see how it works.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: lawb2uh

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tundracruzen, you're perfectly well within your rights to do this, but when I suggested this to Toyota's case manager, they were adamantly against me using Loctite (since I had some on hand as I used it recently to secure my Hogue wood grips to a Sig P226) saying the cap and wheel assemblies are engineered to function properly without it and should I have used it, could have risked voiding my warranty. Again, I thought this would be a good idea too but if the caps need to come off for any reason, you'd have a lot more trouble getting it done with the bolts being thread locked.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Im not worried such a thing would void the warranty on the wheels. Also, the Loctite I used doesnt make it impossible to get the bolts off either, just a little harder. However, with that said, I will take into account what you said, and if I do have a problem, I will say it wasn't me. Thanks for your feedback.

·
Registered
320 Posts
The BLUE loctite, the fluid, is removable loctite, one of the names it isgiven is "Thread 'n lock" as it is placed onto the threads of the screwor bolt and then screwed together. It will harden up after awhile andprevent the bolt or screw from coming apart from vibration.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts