Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished a 825 mile drive from Texas to Colorado. Lots of flat ground with some side winds. I was the only one in the truck along with 2 tires mounted on wheels laying in the bed.

First tank I kept the speeds at 62-65 mph and averaged 20.1 mpg.
Second tank ran 69-72 and averaged 17.3.

I suspect if you had the patience to set the cruise at 55 you could nurse 22-23 mpg out of the truck.

Truck is a 5.7 CM 4 wd. Your mileage may vary:)

· Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Nice to see others doing the same as me. I got alot of non believers and lately having others do the same is proof. One trip from Jax, florida to West Palm Beach doing just 55mph I got 24.9mpg. As I got close to an overpass it hit 25mpg then the overpass cause it to go down and I could only maintain 24.9mpg. Most trips I do 75-80mph and get 17mpg. My last trip to West Virginia through the mountains and back I avg 17mpg.

· Registered
496 Posts
yep, my rock warrior with the stock BFGs has been reasonable given the way I'm driving it. 16 mpg the last tank - on the gas, some 4*4 mud trails. Scan gauge puts me at 17-18 all day on the hwy.

My old 08 DC 4*4 Taco with 33s got that - even Steven for me so far

· Registered
5,147 Posts
I bought my 09 Crewmax 5.7 4x4 brand new in MArch 2009. I turned around the next day, loaded it up with about 70 or 80 pounds worth of gear and my girlfriend, then took a 700 mile road trip bone stock with no tonneau on it or anything starting with about 100 miles on the clock.

For the first tank I got 18.7 keeping it around 62 or 63 mph.

2nd tank I got high 17s and just over 70 mph.

That is slightly better than my 04 Dakota Quad Cab by a few 10ths. When people complain about the mileage these trucks get I generally don't understand what the problem is. We are talking about 400 horsepower and 60s muscle car performance in a 6000 pound half ton that can still get 19 or 20 mph highway. It is not good by econobox standards but it is incredible for a truck and incredible in relation to where we were 10 or 15 years ago, when 7 or 8 liter truck V8s were not providing this kind of power or economy.

Reactions: Ditchhooker

· Registered
84 Posts
The gold bullet is the speed. I have a lifted 4x4 with 35" tires. I was getting 13MPG and nothing better, until Big Dad told me to slow down. Keeping it under 70 I see 16 - 17. I was driving 80-85 before, just keeping up with the flow of traffic.

· Registered
4,318 Posts
I bought my 09 Crewmax 5.7 4x4 brand new in MArch 2009. I turned around the next day, loaded it up with about 70 or 80 pounds worth of gear and my girlfriend, then took a 700 mile road trip bone stock with no tonneau on it or anything starting with about 100 miles on the clock.

For the first tank I got 18.7 keeping it around 62 or 63 mph.

2nd tank I got high 17s and just over 70 mph.

That is slightly better than my 04 Dakota Quad Cab by a few 10ths. When people complain about the mileage these trucks get I generally don't understand what the problem is. We are talking about 400 horsepower and 60s muscle car performance in a 6000 pound half ton that can still get 19 or 20 mph highway. It is not good by econobox standards but it is incredible for a truck and incredible in relation to where we were 10 or 15 years ago, when 7 or 8 liter truck V8s were not providing this kind of power or economy.
This^^^^

I have no complaints with fuel economy at all. If I can keep my foot out of it and not go 80 mph to work, the truck does well.

· Registered
4,318 Posts
Like your vette:)
Just took delivery of a 2013 GS, crystal red tint, waiting to install a pair of Apsis front splash guards before driving it much.
What a good color. My neighbor has one and looks really nice. Hopefully you drive yours more than he does his.

You ever want to go have some fun, PM me your number.

Are you into Open Road Racing? We get a few guys together and have some fun (no wheel to wheel stuff) up at High Plains Raceway. May go down to Texas next year for The Big Bend Open Road Race....lots of fun.

2013 BBORR North - YouTube

There are some other runs bishops castle, Deckers and some others west of Boulder/Denver. Good times.

· Registered
375 Posts
That is impressive! Is that with the trip computer or hand calculated? I haven't been able to see better average than 17.4 currently at 5800 miles on the clock. When new I never got anything over 12-13 MPG So far 95% of the times my rpm's are below 2K and speeds 60-65
I am talking all hand calculated, the trip computer has told me 24 and 25 MPG but the real numbers come afloat when done with pen and paper.

· Registered
180 Posts
When we're on summer fuel, I regularly get over 19 mpg hand calculated. Iusually do 60 mph on the country two-lane highways and 65 mph on the four lanes. If I'm just runninbg back and forth to the local walleye lake towing my 16' Lund, I get 18mpg.
Glad I got the non-flex 5.7!
When I bought m Tundra, I was undecided between an F150 5.0 and the Tundra. My biggest concern with the Tundra was the 13/17 mpg ratings. I am very happy with getting over 19 mpg regularly!

Reactions: 65aircooled

· Registered
839 Posts
I'm hoping for summer gas then! I just did the third fillup yesterday, 1,000+ miles in the last month plus, and it was 17.2 mpg (three tanks of fuel added together). 60mph backroads, 65 on the highway, hardly any stop and go. Not bad, but still seems low, since I know how to keep it in top gear, regardless of hilly terrain.

· Registered
1,258 Posts
Nice, If you keep it between 60 and 70 the trucks get good MPG. I still have not broken the 20 mpg barrier. I hold at 19.3.

· Premium Member
590 Posts
Been pleasantly surprised myself. Still stock (crew, 4x4, 5.7) and I'm getting ~20 on the highway around DFW. Around 13-14 in city. I thought it would be a lot worse than that.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.