Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am doing some beach driving in May and in August and I want to be prepared in case I get stuck. I wont be doing much driving on the beach and don't plan on tackling any real soft sand but I want to be prepared.

I am planning on buying the two items linked below.

One is a recovery strap and one is a d ring.

D-Ring Receiver Hitch

2 in. x 20 ft. Heavy Duty Recovery Strap

Do you think those items weight specs are adequate for pulling me out in case I dig my self into a hole?

I also plan on having a piece of wood with me for my jack and a shovel.

Airing down the tires will also be done.

Thanks for the help!

·
"Off-Topic Discussion Troll"
1,289 Posts
So I am doing some beach driving in May and in August and I want to be prepared in case I get stuck. I wont be doing much driving on the beach and don't plan on tackling any real soft sand but I want to be prepared.

I am planning on buying the two items linked below.

One is a recovery strap and one is a d ring.

D-Ring Receiver Hitch

2 in. x 20 ft. Heavy Duty Recovery Strap

Do you think those items weight specs are adequate for pulling me out in case I dig my self into a hole?

I also plan on having a piece of wood with me for my jack and a shovel.

Airing down the tires will also be done.

Thanks for the help!
Receiver hitch and strap will on be good if another truck is going with you. I would probably carry a 5 gallon gas can along with a GPS / maps and always a first aid kit. A compressor is great so you can inflate your tires back up afterwards.

Since you are not far from me, where you going wheeling at ?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Heading down to the Outer Banks North Carolina. My family and I go down there every year. However, this will be the first year I have a truck capable of driving on the 4X4 area (Carova beach) I want to take the kids to see the wild horses. And I want to go off roading :)

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ATTEMPT THIS IN A LINCOLN TOWN CAR!

Strange advice you say? I am the voice of experience, having received bum directions on the beach at Lake Powell in Page, Arizona. I buried it up to the bottom of the doors, and got pulled out backwards by a gigantic F-350. :eek:

Before anyone calls BS, I would have taken pictures, but the wind was blowing the sand pretty hard and I did not want to damage my camera.

Reactions: 4dailyrunner

·
Registered
197 Posts
My five cents..... pressure wash your truck from top to bottom to get that beach/salt sand out of any spots to keep it from rusting... that fine sand does work on metal!!...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I don't own a pressure washer and if I did I don't think I would use it to wash the truck with this pathetic Toyota paint. Might take all the paint off. I will take it through a good car wash that has the undercarriage treatment.

·
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
13,742 Posts
That 3" recovery strap is too big for the Tundra. The rule is you want the break strength of the strap to be double the weight of the Tundra (a bit higher is OK). The Nylon will stretch a little when used. Stretch is good. You use the stretch to pull the stuck vehicle out. If the break strength is too high, then it will not stretch and it's like pulling with a chain.

Recovery straps are ok, but are more for slowly pulling a vehicle out of a spot. What you really want is a good snatch strap. Snatch straps will cost a lot more, but it is much easier to get the vehicle out. With a recovery strap, you will need a good size vehicle with traction to pull you out. Not easy in sand. With a snatch strap, a Suzuki Samurai could probably jerk your truck out. The snatch strap is a recovery strap with a bungee cord inside. The pull vehicle gets a little running start to get the stuck vehicle out. It uses the pull vehicle's inertia to pop the stuck vehicle out. Only thing is, a snatch strap causes more damage to the vehicle(s) if it breaks. Lay a coat or blanket or something similar over any straps to slow them down if they break.

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
Well, I don't own a pressure washer and if I did I don't think I would use it to wash the truck with this pathetic Toyota paint. Might take all the paint off. I will take it through a good car wash that has the undercarriage treatment.
Don't those car washes use pressure washers? :confused:

·
1,289 Posts
Heading down to the Outer Banks North Carolina. My family and I go down there every year. However, this will be the first year I have a truck capable of driving on the 4X4 area (Carova beach) I want to take the kids to see the wild horses. And I want to go off roading :)
Here some wild horse pics I took a few years ago on Assateague just south of Ocean City, Maryland...

[/url][/IMG]

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Here some wild horse pics I took a few years ago on Assateague just south of Ocean City, Maryland...

[/url][/IMG]

My wife goes down there once a year for a big dog show in April. She loves that place and the ponies.

·
1,289 Posts
My wife goes down there once a year for a big dog show in April. She loves that place and the ponies.
My wife and I go there every year and do a little 4 wheeling but this part of Assateague has become so crowded that the ponies have moved farther south and its harder for the general public to see them.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Just take some straps and a couple of d-rings. Biggest thing to remember is air down. I can't tell you how many people I have gotten unstuck at the beach by just letting some air out of the tires. Hope you have a great trip!

·
Registered
97 Posts
I usually put mine through a car wash right before I drive home from the coast. When I get home I'll throw one of those rotating sprinklers underneath it for a bit to get all the sand out and then take it for another wash. Great for getting the mud out from underneath too..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts