Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Prep for Level Kit Install

4K views 41 replies 12 participants last post by  Ol'Dub 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm getting all setup for my leveling kit install this Thursday evening for my new tires coming Friday. Going after the Nitto Terra Grappler 295/70r18 on Fuel Hostage 18x9 +14 and a 3" Supreme Suspension Level. After countless hours researching on here I plan on doing the normal plastic/mud flap removal. However, couldn't find anyone running +14 offset with the 295's - the closest I found was +18. They had about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch clearance on the body mount, so by my calculations I will be 0.20 inches closer. so that's real close! Anyway, that person had the Mud terrains so I'm hoping the AT will give me a little more leeway. But we'll see!

Anyway, I'm looking for a little encouragement tackling the leveling kit myself - here's my list.
- Quality Jack
- Jack Stands
- 1/2 and 3/4 drive torque wrench capable of up to 150ft/lbs torque.
- Breaker Bar
- 22,24 MM sockets
- standard sized sockets
- wrenches
- Fatbobsgarage.com install instructions
- tundratalk.net :beerchug:
- 1 handy friend.
- Kegerator of ice cold brew in the garage.

Missing anything?
Locktite? Asking around coworkers saying locktite on anything over 100ft/lbs of torque is pretty much overkill.

The drive to the tire shop will be about 30 miles the following morning. Is that pushing it without alignment? I've read about marking certain things so on reassembly you can get a decent alignment, what exactly am I marking?

Any final words of encouragement?

Plenty of pics of the install will be posted after complete.

EDIT: DON'T NEED 21MM SOCKET.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I don't remember needing a 21mm socket for anything but never hurts to have it. The top strut nuts are 14mm and I highly recommend using a ratcheting wrench on those as you will not be able to access some of them with a socket I don't think and it is a PITA doing it with a normal wrench.

#5 ·
I don't remember needing a 21mm socket for anything but never hurts to have it. The top strut nuts are 14mm and I highly recommend using a ratcheting wrench on those as you will not be able to access some of them with a socket I don't think and it is a PITA doing it with a normal wrench. As long as you mark your eccentrics and get everything
You are correct, I don't know where I got the 21mm one from...

Good call on the ratcheting wrench - I have one of those in the toolbox.

#3 · (Edited)
Good luck, its really not that hard to do. Take your time and dont force anything, if you get stuck on something, take a beer break then try again. You can do it. With a leveling kit, its gonna be a tight fit. Im running 295/65r18s on +18 monsters and they barely fit. Keep us updated. Oh yeah, 30 miles to the shop for an alignment is no big deal with a leveling kit.

#4 ·
Two things I forgot.
1.) If you have standard jack stands you may need some quality blocks of wood to put under them for more height.
2.) While you are doing this it would be a great idea to put an additional 1/4" shim on the driver side to eliminate the lean you are going to see afterwards. Your passenger side will sit about 1/2" higher than the driver side without that shim.

#6 ·
1) yup - was planning on that.

2) first I've read of putting one of CB's shims only on one side to balance out the driver side lean. I knew this existed but didn't see this as an option.
- I'm hesitant of having one side with more lift than the other just to balance out aesthetics. Yes, I guess it is only a 1/4 in shim calculating to 1/2 lift, but I just have a gut feeling that it could cause more harm than good - I'll have to research this more.

Good luck, its really not that hard to do. Take your time and dont force anything, if you get stuck on something, take a beer break then try again. You can do it. With a leveling kit, its gonna be a tight fit. Im running 295/65r18s on +18 monsters and they barely fit. Keep us updated. Oh yeah, 30 miles to the shop for an alignment is no big deal with a leveling kit.
At this point, i'm pretty sure i'll have to grind a tad off the body mount. I'm okay with like a 1/4 in or something, but am not going to hack off 2 inches of the thing.

Reactions: Coachbuilder1
#9 ·
Sounds like you're ready :) Nice having the ability to ask others before doing the install, you guys rock!

Using one shim on the driver side is very common and have supplied them to Tundra owners just wanting level out their stock trucks. The alignment essentrics always tell the truth when it comes to how level your truck is sitting. :) If you need them by thursday I can ship today and you'll have them in time your your install. either way best of luck to you, looking forward to pics!

#11 ·
!
Using one shim on the driver side is very common and have supplied them to Tundra owners just wanting level out their stock trucks. The alignment essentrics always tell the truth when it comes to how level your truck is sitting. :) If you need them by thursday I can ship today and you'll have them in time your your install. either way best of luck to you, looking forward to pics!
I guess I was concerned of getting solid alignment with something over 3" of lift.

David, your work is tremendous - with your word, there's no research for me to do. I just sent you an email for payment.

The night BEFORE you do your install hit all your bolts you're planning on loosening with PB Blaster, 2-3 good coats! You'll be happy you did. Unless your truck rolled off the assembly line within the last 30 days there's going to be some stuck bolts.
Ah, yes. I also read this. My truck isn't even a year old and has only seen rain a handful of times here in sunny Southern California and mud once while camping. I'm hoping one coat will do.. lol.

#10 ·
The night BEFORE you do your install hit all your bolts you're planning on loosening with PB Blaster, 2-3 good coats! You'll be happy you did. Unless your truck rolled off the assembly line within the last 30 days there's going to be some stuck bolts.

Reactions: Ol'Dub
#13 ·
Email received and info sent.

Take a quick measurement before sending payment if possible. Just verify if your truck sits low on the driver side now. this will eliminate any guessing.

#14 ·
Just FYI.... my supreme suspensions 3" front level is perfect.... no drivers lean whatsoever. YMMV.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Thanks, Cody. It seems to be hit and miss for some people, I've noticed the lean on a full tank of gas with my stock stance. I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. those shims aren't expensive.

Payment sent. :)

I guess i'll spill the beans now. I plan on lifting my truck another 3.5 or 4" in about 6 months. But I'm an impatient SOB and I got a deal on these tires that I couldn't pass up. Brand new $235 a tire mounted, balanced, out the door. I saw madman run these tires with a 3" spacer and 3.5" spindles and it looks GOOD!

worst case I order another shim in 6 months and add it with my spindles to give me 7" overall in the front.

#15 ·
Can't wait to see your truck finished up. I too have been looking at madman's truck. Looks sick. I'm hoping one day the wife lets me upgrade my spindles as well. For now I'm going to replace my spacer with the OME 614 and maybe a coach shim on top for 3-1/2" up front.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#17 ·
David - unbelievable... Same day shipment on item when payment was sent at 1:36pm pst In order to get it In time for install... You sir, are one of a kind.

You can add a pair of your +3 shackles, cb drop and brake line drop down the road when I jump to the bigger lift.
Further down the road one of those roof racks, and how about some bumpers? Any reason you haven't ventured into that area yet? Just curious :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#20 ·
:) Glad to help, your shim should be arriving in the next few hours. I try my best to get things out as quickly as possible. Shackles on the other hand, they are a real challenge to keep on the shelf. They go quick! Let me know when every you're ready.

I've gone over a few bumper designs for future builds and haven't finalized on anything. Shipping is a bit tricky with the larger items but we'll get there.

Best of luck today!

#18 ·
Bump for any last minute words of encouragement. Start the install as soon as I'm off today.

#19 ·
Subb'd for outcome. Your truck is already an awesome machine, it's gonna blow my mind :lol:

#21 ·
Good luck! It's not a hard project if you have at least some mechanical know how, common sense, and a 2nd set of hands. Air tools for me were the biggest thing that helped, the install would have taken WAY longer than it did without them (took 3 hours for the front from start to finish).

Looking forward to the after shots!

Reactions: kstateskier
#22 ·
#24 ·
#27 ·
+1 ^^ if you have a large screw driver or punch put it in the lower strut hole and turn the lower portion until its aligned.

#29 ·
Finally convinced it to go in. Pry bar did the trick. Wasn't easy though.

Start to finish took me 4.5 hours. The "friend" helping only showed up for about 2 of those hours.. Oh well. I didn't get the front sway bar bolts in, I said eff it, i got work in the am. I marked the cam bolts to try to get a decent alignment, but didn't have the patience to try and adjust them. I'm going to get tires and an alignment first thing in the am anyhow, driving 20 miles won't hurt.

Stay tuned for pics of the finished product.

#31 ·
Fyi for the next time, I've done it 3 times in the last month (long story) and the last time I did it I put king 2.5 coilovers in by myself. I got it down to a science now but this last time I tried to do it without loosening the lca and it worked so I did have to mess with the settings on it. I also got a ratcheting breaker bar which helped out big time. Before u put your tires back on make sure u didn't push your brake dust cover on to your rotors & clean any grease off the rotor if u got any on.

#32 ·
after 15 of the 25 miles to get my tires/alignment done there started a clunking noise from the left front wheel well area. it only happens when the car is moving, and not when turning. As the car moves faster, the noise is more frequent which points me somewhere in the tire/wheel area and not the suspension/spacer/UCA. maybe it's just the shitty alignment? it's only a 2wd so there's no CV boot to damage (i read this is same symptom is from damage to 4x4 cv boots). I checked the spindle and didn't notice any damage the rubber where it connects to the UCA (also read as another possibly thing causing my symptoms). i'm hoping once the alignment is done and torque specs on all the bolts are redone it will clear up the problem.

can't wait to get the truck back!

#33 ·
When the truck is on the ground look at the top of each coilover and make sure the top bolt that holds the strut in is sitting on the top of the spring, if it isn't the u need new bushings on the top of the coilover. That happened to me n I finally figured out what it was

Attachments

#34 ·
Just got a call from my guy. The alignment and new tires got rid of the noise.

stay tuned for pics. can't wait to see the truck myself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.