Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a couple of weeks ago I changed my suspension and went with the 12" bulletproof suspension with 37" tires and 20" wheels. Im getting about 200 miles driving all city.

What are some good performance mods that will improve mpg and gain more hp and tq and mods that are really worth it?

I know a supercharger will be worth it but I don't have another 6,500 to spend right now.

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your foot is the biggest mpg saver.
I know I try to drive without a heavy foot as much as I can. I just need some more mods that will make it alittle better I was think headers for power but not sure if that will help mpg, and idk about a CAI

·
Registered
45 Posts
Trd intake with a GTek SABM is good for about 1-2 mpg from what I have seen with 35's

Headers would help with your truck being more efficient also. Find dirtydeedsinc, Keith is great!

Also there is a guy on TS with a set of Doug thorleys for sale

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I have been talking to him about a setup 2 days ago, not sure if he is busy or what cause I haven't received a reply to my questions about the system. I was looking at the Volant CAI I think its called, which would you guys recommend for better performance and MPG the TRD or Volant?

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have 800 miles on a new 2013 and just did my first interstate trip. I did 75MPH on average and averaged 19.7 mpg. The CM is a TRD/SR5 5.7 4X4. I was carrying about 1000 extra pounds of weight, due to 56 gallons of fuel, big brush guard with warn winch, and passengers. Prior to this trip I added the TRD dual exhaust, TRD CAI, bed cover, sway bar. Tire pressure is 38 with the 32" BFG's. I had a short portion of the trip where I had to drive 65 and the average went to 21.5. When I filled up, the math showed the 19.7 average. I was astounded because of some of the figures I've seen posted in this forum. In town I have gotten 15.1.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Yes I have been talking to him about a setup 2 days ago, not sure if he is busy or what cause I haven't received a reply to my questions about the system. I was looking at the Volant CAI I think its called, which would you guys recommend for better performance and MPG the TRD or Volant?
Best way to get in touch with him is to just call him. He can help you set up a perfect system for your truck.

The TRD intake is ok but overpriced. If you do get it then I highly suggest you do the intake mod on it (basically cuts a 3" hole in it and runs a tube to your fender well). There are tons of thread on here with information on most of the CAI options and even how they sound. The volant is very popular as well.

Do you have a cover on the bed of your truck? Believe it or not, but that will also help with mpg as well.

·
"Seahawks Hater"
4,147 Posts
I have 800 miles on a new 2013 and just did my first interstate trip. I did 75MPH on average and averaged 19.7 mpg. The CM is a TRD/SR5 5.7 4X4. I was carrying about 1000 extra pounds of weight, due to 56 gallons of fuel, big brush guard with warn winch, and passengers. Prior to this trip I added the TRD dual exhaust, TRD CAI, bed cover, sway bar. Tire pressure is 38 with the 32" BFG's. I had a short portion of the trip where I had to drive 65 and the average went to 21.5. When I filled up, the math showed the 19.7 average. I was astounded because of some of the figures I've seen posted in this forum. In town I have gotten 15.1.
You must of got a defective tundra, those mpg numbers are insane...

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
If you want MPG, you made a classic mistake with the 37" tires and 20" wheels.

You cannot have it both ways. Lower the truck back to acceptable range and watch your MPG improve.

Even with a SC, why drag all that weight around to return to better MPG, or, in this case, return to factory numbers. :confused:

So a couple of weeks ago I changed my suspension and went with the 12" bulletproof suspension with 37" tires and 20" wheels. Im getting about 200 miles driving all city.

What are some good performance mods that will improve mpg and gain more hp and tq and mods that are really worth it?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you want MPG, you made a classic mistake with the 37" tires and 20" wheels.

You cannot have it both ways. Lower the truck back to acceptable range and watch your MPG improve.

Even with a SC, why drag all that weight around to return to better MPG, or, in this case, return to factory numbers. :confused:
I never said back to factory numbers, if I'm able to get better mpg with buying parts to make it better I am, I'm not just going to keep factory stuff and get get lower mpg I'm going to improve it if I can even if it is 2 mpg more it will save me in the long run with gas I knew I would be getting worse mpg with the lift and wheel/ tire combo but I know I can also improve my mpg by changing the factory stuff.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Over the years I've learned there are modifications that WILL lower your mpg.
1) taller, wider tires
2) aggressive tread (mudders)

I've tried driving easy, aftermarket intakes, and even cat-back exhaust systems. Nothing gave me back lost mpg. That's been my experience.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
run pure gas. thats the best mod available

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
When I was younger, lift and 35's was more important than MPG.

Now, getting 500 hwy miles on a tank is more fun.

Enjoy what you've got.

I've never had any luck improving my MPG with exhaust changes or intakes or K&N's.

edit - Switching to synthetic oil did improve my MPG.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Trd intake with a GTek SABM is good for about 1-2 mpg from what I have seen with 35's

Headers would help with your truck being more efficient also. Find dirtydeedsinc, Keith is great!

Also there is a guy on TS with a set of Doug thorleys for sale
Has Gtek sabm have been proven to help ? I highly doubt cai intake helps at all... Might get a nice performance sounds but I think it's all a mental gain

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
Window stickers and plasti-dip are the only way. That is of course unless you can change the laws of physics and thermodynamics. Sorry but you have so many things to overcome, inertia, increased contact patch, tire drag, gravity, loss of downforce, increased frontal resistance, etc, you won't buy your way into any form of mpg improvement that will pay for itself in short order with your current setup. If you're getting 8 mpg now and you found something that magically could give you 20% better mpg, at say $1,000 cost you'd then get 9.6mpg. thats rougly +40 miles a tank. 40/9.6=4.1 gallons at say $3 a gallon, that's $12.30 you save a tank. It would take over 81 fill ups before that mod paid for itself let alone cut into the loss from the lift and tires. That's being very generous with numbers too.

A SC won't change your inertia nor change the amount of energy required to overcome it. It just allows you to overcome it faster, but the amount of energy needed to do so is still the same. More hp and torque? Absolutely. Significant mpg improvements retaining your current setup? Absolutely not. And if it did it would be negated by the additional cost of premium fuel. A SC will never pay for itself in mpg alone.

You have some nice cake but as others mentioned, enjoy staring at it because you aren't going to eat it too.

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
Electric fans, and maybe 4.88 gears?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Electric fans, and maybe 4.88 gears?
How's the electric fan ? I was waiting for result on that before purchase ? Was there really a performance and mpg gain ?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts