Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
5.7 FFV Exhaust

I have read several posts about Powersticks for 5.7s, and im torn on what to buy. On the Classic Chambered website there is a model apparently made specifically for our trucks
2.5” TUNDRA 2.5” 3.5" 30" $75.00 however it seems some folks deviate and go for different sizes, I would like some direction/advice on good sound low drone setup, such as " You need to get two 2.5 Tundra powersticks with two resonators and turn them down/out/straight back" Thanks in advance guys

PS-I have a 5.7 Crewmax Flex Fuel with factory exhaust

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yesir, sure have......the problem I had reading it was the different opinions of guys with the same setup saying ....I have initial power loss...... I don't ......I have drone.....I don't.......with that being said I am leaning toward the 30 inch powersticks labeled "Tundra" on the website, I have no idea what to do after that.... resonators? ..... Turn downs?.......straight out? ..... Over axles?....X-pipes?......H-pipes?.......I know I'm being anal but I only want to mess with it once. :dunno:

·
Premium Member
2,540 Posts
I have dual 26"x2.5" sticks on my truck followed by approx 4" of 2.5" pipe 4" of 3.5" pipe and 3.5" turndowns right before the axle.

The truck sounds like an animal and scares small children at WOT. At a light it's relatively tame and quiet. When I pull into my driveway at night, the sound of the rocks under my stock tires are louder than my truck idling.

For me the 26" was the right choice, and I'm sure the 30" won't disappoint either. I posted a start up video on my build thread, but have been too lazy to do any other videos.

All I know is when I get on it, people move out of my way and I have a grin from ear to ear on my face.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,540 Posts
yes, at around 1800-1900 rpms, i have drone. seems to be at 70 mph. the way i fix that? drive 80! lol.

the drone is not overbearing though. I am used to catless corvettes and s/c mustangs, and this is tame compared to those.

I'm also 27 with no kids and anytime i drive more than 2 hours, we take one of my buddy's 4 cylinder cars... so take that into account. I like the attention and don't find it annoying. if you've never driven in a car with an exhaust, you may not like it. if you were closer to me, i'd invite ya over for a test drive and a beer.

the exhaust is quiet at idle, which is nice... no turning off the engine at drive-thru's. :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kobear, what do you make of this by Hoot12:
i got 2011 crewmax with less than 1000 miles on her. i went with powersticks 26" 2.25 diameter. i would do the same thing over and over and over again. this truck sounds for real. i had flows on an 07 tundra and aint gonna knock em but they dont sound this damn good. NO DRONE AT 60 MPH, 70 MPH, 80,MPH, you get what im saying. matter of fact u cant hear em until you lay into it. powersticks, chrome tips out the back, labor = 330$. also includes a H-pipe the muffler shop had. check some other posts about the powersticks, nothing but good things.

Could it be different setup/size/ear of the beholder? Thank you for your advice.

·
Premium Member
2,540 Posts
Could be because he went with 2.25" diameter where I went with 2.5" diameter. I also dumped mine before the axle. I only have 8" total behind my mufflers.

Had I went for full pipes after my sticks, and resonator tips out the back, things would be drastically different. Check out the "official" powerstick thread. Has a lot of different set up videos... From mild to wild.

I'd put mine more on the wild side.

-KoBear

·
Registered
118 Posts
I bought the 26" by 2.5 but ran 2.25 pipe before and after the power sticks because the tundra factory piping is closer to the 2.25 and you don't want to change to much from the manifold end pipe size ( I was told).

I ran no "H" or "X", they will quiet the exhaust and there is no real benefits for our motors to have them.

I ran turn downs at the rear bumper, I wanted mine hidden but if you turn them down under the cab, you will have drone ( with any exhaust).

Also from experience, make sure your exhaust guy does not run the drivers side exhaust pipe directly over your rear chunk, there is a brake bracket and if you load your bed down the pipe will touch that bracket.

The exhaust is quiet at idle but if you are a 100 yards away you can hear a faint rumble, its a good sound.
When you punch it, it really is nice and loud, just driving on the highway there is a good rumble but remember the farther away you get the ends away from the cab the less noise you will hear in the cab.

My wife passed a car while coming home the other day about half a mile from our house, I was in our yard and it sounded like a muscle car was about to come by, I was pleased

·
Premium Member
2,540 Posts
Thanks 012Crew.....rear chunk? typo or my lack of slang knowledge? Thanks 012.....and KoBear
No problem. I really payed attention to mine today and it only drones at 65-70. 50 and 60 mph and it's quiet... Until I tap the gas pedal. :evil:

By chunk I'm pretty sure he means the rear pumpkin.

-KoBear

·
Registered
118 Posts
yea the gear housing on the rear axel, or pumpkin. But anyway the guy who ran it went diagonally across it with the pipe. If I never hauled anything, it probably wouldn't have been a big deal, but if the truck is loaded it touched my brake lines that are mounted there. There are pics on here somewhere of it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts