Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and a few other guys went to the middle of nowhere and did a few of these:

After going in circles three times, I gave up on doing a power U-turn because of the open diff (see image above). Once I stopped the power steering pump started making a loud whine when trying to turn the steering wheel. Fluid was everywhere and I knew the pump failed. I ordered a new pump and I should receive it in a few days.

I tried looking for a tutorial on the web but couldn't find any. Most who face this problem take it to the dealership under warranty. In my case it would cost at least 200 for labor + 450 for the parts (I got the pump online for $300).

Has anyone replaced their PS pump? Any hints are appreciated :D Thanks!

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Dang brx, that is no way to treat the fastest toyota Tundra ever.. Lol quit beating up your truck

·
Registered
13,894 Posts
Not that I have read, however I HAVE read to not do donuts with steering wheel at/near full lock as the seal will blow out... Assuming that is what happened to you... I would honestly try to replace just the seal, or put the bastard seal back in before full replacement....

Pics of leak
?

I guess you got a new truck... I also see a girl in there :lol5:

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I think he was able to salvage his old truck power

·
Banned
5,396 Posts
I haven't replaced it bit I took it off when I replaced my alt, anyways I'm sure it's pretty easy considering it was only 1-2 bolts (14mm I think)then disconnect the hoses n replace everything. Sorry first take off skid plate n it's located on bottom passenger n u might have to take off serpentine belt. This is all out of order but u get the idea!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
13,894 Posts
Ohh, I saw the white and figured he wouldn't have peeled all the blue off the rest.

Thx.

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dang brx, that is no way to treat the fastest toyota Tundra ever.. Lol quit beating up your truck
This is the last time I do donuts on dry pavement...
Until i get a locker :D

Not that I have read, however I HAVE read to not do donuts with steering wheel at/near full lock as the seal will blow out... Assuming that is what happened to you... I would honestly try to replace just the seal, or put the bastard seal back in before full replacement....

Pics of leak
?

Can you tell me where this seal is located exactly. I removed the front passenger wheel and the pump was right in front of me. I cranked the motor and asked a friend to steer. There was no visible leak but the whine is loud and very noticeable even in the cab. Can the seal be the culprit and the pump is just fine?
I forgot to mention, steering gets lighter at a stop when I rev up to 2k.

I think he was able to salvage his old truck power
Yep, its the same old truck.

I haven't replaced it bit I took it off when I replaced my alt, anyways I'm sure it's pretty easy considering it was only 1-2 bolts (14mm I think)then disconnect the hoses n replace everything. Sorry first take off skid plate n it's located on bottom passenger n u might have to take off serpentine belt. This is all out of order but u get the idea!!
Sounds simple enough. How did you drain the fluid. I'm not sure I have any left lol.

·
Banned
5,396 Posts
It's a straight shot down so just put an oil pan under unclamp the hose and point the hose to the pan. It's all on the bottom so it shouldn't get to messy

·
Registered
13,894 Posts
Well first of all check the reservoir, see if any fluid is in there... after that, add fluid if it is low, then look for the leak...

I haven't replaced a seal on a rack/pinion type system yet, I tried to do one on an old 81f150, at that time it was on the steering gearbox where the pitman arm met the shaft...

I would say to look around underneath with skidplate removed and look for the leak first if it is leaking.

If a rack/pinion is similar, I would expect to see an input shaft seal leaking (where the belt drives the pump) or an output shaft leaking, but I am pretty sure on rack systems the output goes through hoses...

·
Registered
8 Posts

Pics of leak
?

Can you tell me where to find the seal kit? I've looked all night. Thank you so much. 2010 TRD DC 4x4

·
Registered
8 Posts
Looking for a power steering seal kit for 2010 TRD 4x4 DC. PLEASE HELP!!

Can you tell me where to find the seal kit? I've looked all night. 2010 TRD DC 4x4. Dealership just installed a daystar 3 in level and blew my rack on test drive. Need help. I'm driving a loaner and miss my rig!

·
Registered
13,894 Posts
They don't offer a seal kit, only a whole rack.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts