Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had asked this question over on rv.net.

My wife and I going to be taking delivery of a trailer with elec. stabilizers and tongue jack. We will be camping in some National Parks without elec. If we are ready to leave and do not have enough juice in the battery to raise them and close the slide, how do we get them up and in? Will plugging the trailer into our TV with engine running, allow the trailer to draw elec. to operate the slide, stabilizers and jack? I don't want to be be running a generator.

Everyone was in agreement that plugging the trailer into the truck would provide the necessary power to operate the slide, jacks, and tongue. However, one reply stated:

If you have a Toyota Tundra (from the factory) there is no charge wire hooked up to the 7 pin recepticle, therefore your TT batteries will not be charged from TV. I bought a new Tundra and spent another $100 to have the charge wire installed/connected.

Is this true?

· Registered
119 Posts
I would like to know as well. Why wouldn't they hook up the power wire? Isn't that one of the 7 pins?

· Registered
2,401 Posts
I have the factory tow package.
All 7 pins are fully wired, including the 12v. On my 07, the 7 pin socket cover is marked with all the available pins and what each one is. I use the 12v to charge my emergency breakaway brakes on the horse trailer.
Maybe they meant the first gen Tundra didn't have this 12v pin, or maybe they are Tundra haters . . .

Attachments

· Registered
755 Posts
I have the factory tow package.
All 7 pins are fully wired, including the 12v. On my 07, the 7 pin socket cover is marked with all the available pins and what each one is. I use the 12v to charge my emergency breakaway brakes on the horse trailer.
Maybe they meant the first gen Tundra didn't have this 12v pin, or maybe they are Tundra haters . . .
^^^Thanks for the diagrams!

I also have the factory tow package. I installed a deep cycle marine battery in my car trailer to power the interior lights, exterior ramp lights and 4K lb electric winch. My Tundra has no problem keeping the dc marine battery and my emergency break away brake battery charged.

Reactions: ponyuk

· Registered
326 Posts
Same here. 2010 with tow package. Charges through 7-pin to RV battery. OP shouldn't have a problem if he has the tow package.

Reactions: ponyuk

· Registered
235 Posts
It is wired to charge. Please note if the truck is not running and you run your camper 12v items while still hooked up to the truck it will also drain your truck battery not just the trailer.

Example running your heater overnight while not discounted for a short night of sleep.

· Registered
2,401 Posts
It is wired to charge. Please note if the truck is not running and you run your camper 12v items while still hooked up to the truck it will also drain your truck battery not just the trailer.

Example running your heater overnight while not discounted for a short night of sleep.
12V is killed when the ignition is off.

Page 29 of this doc tells you what to expect to still have juice to when the ignition is off:
http://www.trdsparks.com/install/08951-65001inst.pdf

· Registered
235 Posts
12V is killed when the ignition is off.

Page 29 of this doc tells you what to expect to still have juice to when the ignition is off:
http://www.trdsparks.com/install/08951-65001inst.pdf
I'll be honest I can't follow that document. When my battery was low from and overnight I plugged the harnes back into my truck without it on. Lights became bright again and furnace blower kicked up.

Not sure what caused that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.