Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking out loud here, but I have noticed on my 14 that every time it rains, the hood puddles water in the indention towards the front. It can be a 1/2 inch or so of water that stands on the hood until the truck moves, which can be a day or so.

Do you think this might cause a potential issue with the paint? I do park on a slight incline, and I could park in the opposite direction, but that is a pain at my house. I kinda wonder why Toyota would design a hood that puddles water like this?

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
I didn't think there was any place for a puddle to form on the hood. Pre-2014 had slopping hood. Toyota raised the hood of 14s a little. Perhaps that has something to do with it. I don't see how this could be a problem unless the truck sits there for many months. Then there will be other more serious problems too.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I thought I was the only person who thought this. I like the new hood, but agree the top should angle more...it leaves a tough water deposit stain if not cleaned once a week.

I noticed a little 'pool' will sit there, even when doing 70 on the freeway.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For the life of me, I don't know why they wouldn't raise the hood instead of recessing it and making a place for water to pond. Maybe it's no big deal with todays paint, but I know years ago water sitting on paint for extended periods would case the paint to bubble. I guess we'll see.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I honestly don't think that could cause much of an issue. Do a second coat of wax on the hood for your peace of mind. The only ill effect I can see from that (if at all) is a "magnifying glass" effect under the sun, but plenty of cars and trucks have that to deal with at a larger or smaller scale. In my life I have owned 35 vehicles between cars and trucks and none have ever been garaged. I wax at least twice a month. My Tundra had smaller puddles on the hood, never noticed a problem in my 20 moths of ownership.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I honestly don't think that could cause much of an issue. Do a second coat of wax on the hood for your peace of mind. The only ill effect I can see from that (if at all) is a "magnifying glass" effect under the sun, but plenty of cars and trucks have that to deal with at a larger or smaller scale. In my life I have owned 35 vehicles between cars and trucks and none have ever been garaged. I wax at least twice a month. My Tundra had smaller puddles on the hood, never noticed a problem in my 20 moths of ownership.
That's been my solution. Lots of wax can't hurt.

·
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
13,742 Posts
Clear bra the whole hood.

Reactions: Patriot1
1 - 13 of 13 Posts