Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and gals,
I am trying to choose what style of side bars I want to install on my Cement Tundra TRD Pro. Please post pics of your rigs with your side bars and where you got them please!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Personally I like the look of no side steps especially on a TRD Pro. Your truck came with out them for a reason, it gives you better clearance and gives your truck an off road/lifted look. If you plan to off road then I would highly suggest keeping it the way it is. If you want side steps for more of the functionality aspect then you should look at amp steps. They are retractable step that deploy when you open your door and retract when you close it and if installed right you can make completely hidden. Only thing is that they can get up there in price. Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wont be off-roading that hard for a while. And, I really like the aggressive looke some of the side bars/rails bring. As for the retractable steps, i would never spend that much money for such a minuscule function. Thanks for the reply. Your White Rig is clean!!!

·
Registered
596 Posts
I went with the nfabs for now. Cheap and provided me with decent assistance getting in and out without tearing up my seats. In the future I will be upgrading to white knuckle offroad sliders. I agree these steps do make the truck appear to sit lower to the ground. Hope this is helpful.

2016 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro CM MGM

IG: @kt_harb.protundra

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went with the nfabs for now. Cheap and provided me with decent assistance getting in and out without tearing up my seats. In the future I will be upgrading to white knuckle offroad sliders. I agree these steps do make the truck appear to sit lower to the ground. Hope this is helpful.

That's exactly why I need to get them. Shoot, if you end up upgrading sooner than later, hit me up! I'd love to take those Nfabs off your hands. Thanks for the pics!

·
Registered
596 Posts
That's exactly why I need to get them. Shoot, if you end up upgrading sooner than later, hit me up! I'd love to take those Nfabs off your hands. Thanks for the pics!
It will be longer then you'd be willing to wait unfortunately. I'd say it would be over a year before I get the sliders.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I've decided to go for the Go Rhino RB 20's. I looked at the RB 10's that several have, and prefer the more streamlined look of the 20's. Really like their Dominator R6 boards as well. Currently travelling for work, but will order and install in NOV.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I went with the RB 20's. Looked at a ton of different ones and liked the look of the RB 20's better than all of the rest.

Just a cool look and a great fit with my cement TRD Pro. Install was easy as well.

Just my preference.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I went with the RB 20's. Looked at a ton of different ones and liked the look of the RB 20's better than all of the rest.

Just a cool look and a great fit with my cement TRD Pro. Install was easy as well.

Just my preference.
Photos?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I really like those Nfab steps, think I am going to get a pair. You guys like them? I don't do heavy off roading but I do like to get after it from time to time. Mainly St George UT to go mountain biking. Should I look at some different step options?

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'll have mine up by Thanksgiving. Currently on an all expense paid trip to fun filled places courtesy of Uncle Sam.....

Does anyone have photos of the go rhino rb20 stepbars?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Personally I like the look of no side steps especially on a TRD Pro. Your truck came with out them for a reason, it gives you better clearance and gives your truck an off road/lifted look. If you plan to off road then I would highly suggest keeping it the way it is. If you want side steps for more of the functionality aspect then you should look at amp steps. They are retractable step that deploy when you open your door and retract when you close it and if installed right you can make completely hidden. Only thing is that they can get up there in price. Good luck!
Yes, the truck came without steps for a reason. That reason is purely financial on Toyota's part. It has nothing to do with off-road ability. Generally you don't get better clearance without most steps for the simple fact that the truck frame and transfer case sits below the body and is the limiting factor for ground clearance on most obstacles (excluding approach and departure angles).

While the truck may look higher without steps, if you look closely under the truck, you will see that steps, unless they hang stupidly low, will not diminish your ground clearance as they hang from the body and are usually about level with the frame and higher than the transfer case.

If you are planning on doing any semi-serious offroading, skip the steps and get rock sliders. They are a bit more expensive up front, but, your rocker panels, and ultimately your wallet, will thank you later.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes, the truck came without steps for a reason. That reason is purely financial on Toyota's part. It has nothing to do with off-road ability. Generally you don't get better clearance without most steps for the simple fact that the truck frame and transfer case sits below the body and is the limiting factor for ground clearance on most obstacles (excluding approach and departure angles).

While the truck may look higher without steps, if you look closely under the truck, you will see that steps, unless they hang stupidly low, will not diminish your ground clearance as they hang from the body and are usually about level with the frame and higher than the transfer case.

If you are planning on doing any semi-serious offroading, skip the steps and get rock sliders. They are a bit more expensive up front, but, your rocker panels, and ultimately your wallet, will thank you later.
Word!!

Just saving wear and tear on the seat getting in and out of the truck is worth it. I think it breaks up the grey too.

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
Go Rhino 5" O.E. Xtreme Oval Black Side Bars

Easy install. Lightweight, Durable, Strong. All black matches the look.

I had the metal running boards with the steps on my ol FJ. I bent one of em on a rock. The powder coating flakes off. Rusts.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.