Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys I have a 2012 crewmax limited with about 11k miles on it and have notice since day one that whenever I leave it in the garage for about a week without driven it - when I crank it up and put it in reverse it doesnt move for a few seconds.. I can put it back in park and then back in reverse and then it moves with no problem.. This has been going on since I bought it new.. I've ignored it for almost two years and I think maybe I should have a dealer look into this.. Has anyone seen or heard of this? If I'm driving it regularly no problem just when I leave it in the garage for over a week or so..

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Koditten,

We are probably splitting hairs over whether it's a few versus half seconds. Think it's probably the same issue but not sure if it's something I should be worrying about.. Are you noticing this after not driven it for a week or so?

·
Premium Member
3,545 Posts
I will go at times several weeks before I drive the Tundra. I notice it when when going from reverse to drive or viceversa.
I'm pretty sure its been discussed here before. Its been reported as normal.

There have been reports of some of the Tundra trucks being sold with not quite enough transmission fluid. This could cause the same symtoms. I changed my transmission fluid using the dealer procedure and I noticed no difference. I assumed mine had the correct level to begin with.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
guys, I am long time reader of the forum. I have the same problem and have since I owned my 2011 CM. If it sits for a day it will hesitate when going in reverse. When I have let it sit for a week it will takes several seconds to fully engage. If I push on the accelerator it will just rev the engine. I have left it at the dealer for 3 days and they didn't notice anything. I'm still under factory warranty. The fluid is fine in mine as well. I usually crank it up and let it sit for 10-15 seconds and warm up and that seems to help a lot but it is annoying

·
Registered
15 Posts
There is some kind of valve on the transmission that actuates a few seconds after startup. When I start mine up cold I always wait until I hear the valve actuate and have never had it fail to move after that. Are you guys just starting up and immediately putting it into reverse?

·
Registered
646 Posts
Mine sits for at least a month at a time as I am offshore working. When I get back to it I have never noticed this reaction.

I always start it and let it idle for a few minutes before I start to drive home anyway. I generally have a 4/5 hour drive home from work.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
10,982 Posts
Get off work and then drive home 4-5 hours? That's gotta suck ballz!

There is some kind of valve on the transmission that actuates a few seconds after startup. When I start mine up cold I always wait until I hear the valve actuate and have never had it fail to move after that.

You're hearing the AIP which has nothing to do with the pump.

No doubt, the truck doesn't shift that well the first 5 minutes until the fluid temp goes up, especially at higher RPMs. If I pull out of the driveway and I gotta floor it to get out of the way of the guy coming up from behind, I'm pulling a Fred Sanford grabbing my heart waiting for it to kick into from 1st to second while it's jolting. Never noticed anything more than a 2 second delay for reverse though.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Yeah I live in Florida and work in Louisiana. Good thing is I only drive to work 6-7 times a year lol

·
Registered
55 Posts
Actually I just noticed this also today. I just bought my cremax tx edition saturday. I started it up. About 30 seconds passed and I put it in drive and took my foot off the brake and it did nothing for about a second. Then it started to move. I just traded in my v6 07 extra cab and that one never did that to me. Matter of fact as soon as I let go of the brake it wanted to pull immediately.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I'm glad to see other have the same issue I guess it's not a major one but it did worry me when I first had it happen. My wife drives a Highlander and you can floor that thing the second it starts up without hesitation but my tundra needs to warm up.

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
My 08 doesn't do that, so must be something in the newer trucks.

FYI the tranny temp gauge is just an idiot light as are the other gauges in the truck, they are made to look cool but really don't give you any actual useful information from what I've found out and have been told they register normal all the time until something goes wrong then they drop or peg out to show there's a problem, the gauges just look better than the idiot lights found in most vehicles now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts