Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I haven't seen a definitive answer on this, searching the forums, so I ask again:

When I bought my used 06 Tundra V8, I was hoping to replace my Jeep Wrangler with 22" high Snoway plow. My driveway is half a mile long and the small Snoway just couldn't push enough snow.

I was hoping to put a 7.5' steel plow (Standard Duty Fisher, Western, Meyer) on this 1st-generation Tundra, but it looks like it's not a good idea. When I went to Snoway site, they recommend 7.5' plows (470 lbs) for the second generation, but only their baby plow for 06 (about 270 lbs.).

Has anybody put a 400-500 lb steel plow on their 1st gen Tundra? I'm not worried about HP or torque being enough. I know I have enough power. Not even worried about tranny since I only do my own driveway. I'm worried about the suspension, low nose clearance & strength of frame.

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
3,545 Posts
If it was me, wouldn't worry about it. As long as you remove plow before leaving property, who cares if it is too heavy for the factory springs.

If traveling distances with the plow, you are in need heavier springs.

If you are familiar with plowing, you know shit is gonna get broke if you hit something that you didn't know was there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it was me, wouldn't worry about it. As long as you remove plow before leaving property, who cares if it is too heavy for the factory springs.

If traveling distances with the plow, you are in need heavier springs.

If you are familiar with plowing, you know shit is gonna get broke if you hit something that you didn't know was there.
I worry about bottoming out while plowing. I know stuff is gonna happen while plowing, worst of which is rust!

·
Premium Member
3,545 Posts
Why would you bottom out while plowing? The plow is on the ground, thus weight is off suspension. Besides, you won't be going more the 10 mph on your own drive. You know where the dips are. Just slow down more.

·
Registered
13,620 Posts
Hi all,
I haven't seen a definitive answer on this, searching the forums, so I ask again:

When I bought my used 06 Tundra V8, I was hoping to replace my Jeep Wrangler with 22" high Snoway plow. My driveway is half a mile long and the small Snoway just couldn't push enough snow.

I was hoping to put a 7.5' steel plow (Standard Duty Fisher, Western, Meyer) on this 1st-generation Tundra, but it looks like it's not a good idea. When I went to Snoway site, they recommend 7.5' plows (470 lbs) for the second generation, but only their baby plow for 06 (about 270 lbs.).

Has anybody put a 400-500 lb steel plow on their 1st gen Tundra? I'm not worried about HP or torque being enough. I know I have enough power. Not even worried about tranny since I only do my own driveway. I'm worried about the suspension, low nose clearance & strength of frame.

Thank you.
I ran a first gen Tundra on Boss plows site (sorry, only plow I install at work).

They offer an htx in 7'6" that will fit your truck. Weighs in at mid 400#'s, weight varies slightly on stainless I believe, but not enough to write home about.

For what you are doing, it will definitely hold up. The previous sport duty plow they had was heavier and it would also mount up, however due to the fgawr that is all they suggest.

It only calls for 30# of ballast, so I don't really think the 450lbs is a huge deal. I have seen many 3/4 ton trucks that call for 300lbs of ballast on a recommended plow.

The front of the truck doesn't sit exactly high, so ground clearance will be lost with any mount. As long as you aren't offroading the truck during summer it shouldn't be a big deal.

As for frame strength, in this link you will see how it mounts and uses the front cross member for support. Some undercarriages only use the frame rails, which can cause a frame to twist easier in the event of a hard impact. ( I have seen this happen to a few superduties using western plows where the only tie between both frame rails is a 3/16" x 2" piece of angle iron between the western side mounts).

https://www.bossplow.com/support/parts/details/45

Mounted a sport duty on a first gen years and years ago, but only install I have done on a first gen.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ran a first gen Tundra on Boss plows site (sorry, only plow I install at work).

They offer an htx in 7'6" that will fit your truck. Weighs in at mid 400#'s, weight varies slightly on stainless I believe, but not enough to write home about.

For what you are doing, it will definitely hold up.
Thank YOU Powertechn!

Knowing that you install these goes a long way to assure me I'll be OK. The Boss plow you are talking about is 440#, which means I'll be alright with that, or a Fisher HT around same weight. You probably like Boss better. I should too seeing how they mount shallow & flush under the nose. But I have my eyes on a used Fisher near here.
Ballast is not a problem as I keep bags of salt in the truck bed.

Thanks again :)

·
Registered
13,620 Posts
Thank YOU Powertechn!

Knowing that you install these goes a long way to assure me I'll be OK. The Boss plow you are talking about is 440#, which means I'll be alright with that, or a Fisher HT around same weight. You probably like Boss better. I should too seeing how they mount shallow & flush under the nose. But I have my eyes on a used Fisher near here.
Ballast is not a problem as I keep bags of salt in the truck bed.

Thanks again :)

No problem, I try to help out where/whenever I can :lol5: .

I may have some slight preference to Boss, but it isn't just because I install them.

I have installed Western for a few buddies, have even swapped Western to Boss for a few dealers who's customers wanted the Boss, or the Western etc...

In general, we see less issues with Boss. A lot of the guys I know end up with older Western's as they are widely installed at dealerships here, and if it is on the used plow truck, they run it till it is no longer cost efficient to repair. I fix a lot of stuff for buddies.

I have taken off more Meyer and older Fisher and Western to install a new Boss than any other plow. Meyer takes the most removal's though.

Fishers seem to hold up pretty well overall. Biggest thing to keep up on is the electrical connections. If they start to corrode and go green, then you aren't keeping up on them enough.

In the end go with what fits you budget. If you can get a good deal on a used plow, go for it regardless of the brand, ESPECIALLY as you are not plowing for income.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I gotta say a word about Snoway here. It's a good American company. I used their 22" high 80" plow for ten years and it worked everytime. Nothing never broke down. In the end, it was just too shallow for me to push enough snow aside & stack. I also have a tailgate salter they make, and that's been working like a dream too since I bought it two years ago. great company, great products.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
6'9 Fisher LD

Thanks guys. So it's gonna be a 6'9" Fisher LD plow, about 470lbs. This is more like a 2/5 or 3/8 truck than a 1/2 ton. I know I'm pushing it with a plow like this, but I'm going for it.

I will report back.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all,

Thank you.
Hi all,

Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've spent the past 3 weeks mounting a western 7'6" poly blade with a 3in leveling kit from ebay
Hi all,

Thank you.
Hi all,

Thank you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts