Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Banned
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks dude... but 4 x 4 is not so important, and rumers are the ride is not as smooth as 2WD. Look, I want a good deal first... The cheaper Tundra; I can always add a factory back up camera for $800.00. Quesion is, in today's times, dealers, sellers are in a world of hurt, the economy and shit... seems like I could get a hell of a deal on a truck.

Are these Trucks listed overpriced? :confused:

·
Administrator
39,325 Posts
Thanks dude... but 4 x 4 is not so important, and rumers the tride is not as smooth as 2WD. I want a good deal first... The cheaper one, I can always add a factory back up Cam for $800.00. Quesion is in today's times, dealers, sellers are in a world of hurt... seems like I could get a hell of a deal on a truck. Are these Trucks listed overpriced?

Thanks
Probably a little. What kinda deal have you tried to get on a new one?

·
Banned
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Brand new??? I keep hearing that, but after calling Dealers, and their BS... They won't come down under $31k +TTT (new 2008)....

I'm a retired investor by trade, and I never, ever buy a new vehicle. Always used... and seller can fudge the price! ;)

Comments welcome.

Thanks ;)

·
Registered
95 Posts
I agree... both are overpriced. You can get a new one equivalent to each for the same prices.

Current rebates in FL are $4,000 I think. Right now you shouldn't have to pay a dime over invoice. Invoice on SR5s is $25,500 for 2WD or $28,200 for 4WD. Navi and TRD would take you back up to the $29k that the guy with the black one is asking for.

·
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
13,741 Posts
Still overpriced.

·
Banned
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, thanks.... I'll get on the Horn tomorrow with more Dealers! But I hate even the thought of buying brand new, and I never liked Dealers.

·
Registered
463 Posts
man i paid 37,999.97 OTD 2008 TUNDRA CREWMAXX SR5 TRD PACKAGE, TOW PACKAGE, WHEELS, TIRES, ALARM, FLOOR MATS. SO ANYTHING UNDR 30K IS A STEAL!

·
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
13,741 Posts
E-mail the internet sales guys. Don't call.

·
Banned
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry dude, but screw the internet stuff. I want verbal communication only. Communicating via the internet with email over buying a vehicle is bullshit.

Sorry guy... I'm 42 and retired... I'm doing something right! :)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Find the new truck you want, offer the sales manager $10K under sticker and see what happens. I did that in July and he found a truck with more than I asked for, for $11,700 under MSRP. Worst case scenario, they say no, and you're back where you started minus a little time.

·
Registered
222 Posts
42 and retired, you ARE doing something right. Why the haggling over price?

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Brand new??? I keep hearing that, but after calling Dealers, and their BS... They won't come down under $31k +TTT (new 2008)....

I'm a retired investor by trade, and I never, ever buy a new vehicle. Always used... and seller can fudge the price! ;)

Comments welcome.

Thanks ;)
Buy a used vehicle and buy someone else's problem.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Find the new truck you want, offer the sales manager $10K under sticker and see what happens. I did that in July and he found a truck with more than I asked for, for $11,700 under MSRP. Worst case scenario, they say no, and you're back where you started minus a little time.
I agree show up at the dealer and let them know you mean business, pick the truck you want and give them a price always start incredibly low and don't listen to the b.s. from the salesman. Stand firm act interested but don't settle for their price. Settle for yours. I'm 23 and haggled my way to getting 12.5k trade-in for my 01 taco and another 4k off sticker. They will sell...they almost have to. Do your research! Look on this site for what other ppl have bought theirs for, thats always a good start!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I agree show up at the dealer and let them know you mean business, pick the truck you want and give them a price always start incredibly low and don't listen to the b.s. from the salesman. Stand firm act interested but don't settle for their price. Settle for yours. I'm 23 and haggled my way to getting 12.5k trade-in for my 01 taco and another 4k off sticker. They will sell...they almost have to. Do your research! Look on this site for what other ppl have bought theirs for, thats always a good start!
I agree with jackyack.

Texas still has blue laws, so car dealers have to close one day on the weekends. After researching this and other sites to see what people were paying (~$200-1000 under invoice before factory incentives seemed to be pretty standard... the big variable was the incentives themselves, which are regional), I spent my Sunday crawling the lots with no salespeople around to hassle me (I took a camera too, but the batteries were dead). I did this to make sure I knew what truck I would be offering on and had a copy of the sticker written down.

The Toyota dealer that had the truck best matching my desires also happened to be the one that was packed completely full of vehicles, even with some in their customer parking. They had over 50 Tundras... I knew they'd be willing to part with one.

I then drew up a chart of MSRP vs invoice. For the truck itself, you can find the invoice online, but for the options, you kind of have to estimate. I just went with a standard estimate of 100% markup unless I had better information (like for the Line-X liner). (According to the copy of invoice the salesman showed me during negotiations -- for whatever that's worth -- my estimates off by $400 in my favor).

Before going into the dealer, I wrote down on the back of a business card my starting offer and my final number at which I would walk out and get in my old truck and try some other time (I do this with win/lose limits for blackjack as well). I put that card in my pocket so I could look at it again on my way in.

My numbers were $3000 under my estimated invoice ($7200 off sticker) and right at my estimated invoice ($4200 off sticker), before incentives. Your numbers will obviously vary based on your own desires. The negotiations went like this:

Salesman: Here's the sticker, make an offer.
Me: ($7800 under sticker)
Salesman (post manager visit): We can lower it to ($2500 under sticker)
Me: How about ($6000 under sticker)?
Salesman (after manager, with copy of invoice): we can do ($3500 under sticker)
Me: ($5000 under sticker)
Sales: Can we split the difference at ($4250)?
Me: Deal.

This put me right at my estimated invoice, which was actually $400 and change below the actual invoice.

Add in the $5,000 rebate and I was sitting at $33.6k -- $9250 off sticker -- for a 5.7L 4x4 Ltd Dbl Cab... <$36k OTD.

Looking at the truck on CL you listed at $29k, that's $4600 difference for a Limited vs SR5, crappy looking rims, 19k miles and not having navi. Alternately, of course, you could use the available new deals to show the current owner that he needs to come down another 6-8 grand.

·
Banned
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Tex, you paid $36k OTD for a 2008 Tundra? You got ripped off.... sorry guy. Someone mentioned about haggling over price since I am retired... I won;t even begin to answer that question. And mentioning retiring at 40 was also a bad idea.

I have my opinions, and you have yours.

-Good day

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
id say theyre overpriced .. the bottom one only has a sticker of about $28k .. you should be able to get it for cheaper/same price brand new

I agree 100% with this post, try internet fleet!!!

then go to dealer with ball park and LOOK at truck you want, give them number and if after one hour of back and forth you don't like what you hear, walk away.

DON'T WORRY, THEY WILL CALL YOU!!!!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts